PDA

View Full Version : DVD from .mov = jaggies

Aa
21st December 2007, 03:25 PM
Any videots here know how to get a DVD burned from a movie file(.mov) without a resulting loss of quality?

I can't seem to get one happening without major jaggies in either toast8 or iDVD - i am a novice in iDVD though and only recently upgraded to a DVD burning imac so i might be missing something...

I've created a slideshow for presentation with an audiotrack thats timed to coincide with the transitions - daft, i know, but i couldn't work out how to work with audio and stills in iMovie6 quick enough so i jumped over to iPhoto. I exported this to a .mov file just fine, but now they tell me it has to be a DVD and i just can't seem to create one without major jaggies.

frustrating!

purana
21st December 2007, 04:18 PM
You could use ffmpegx on Tiger to conver the .mov file into a DVD compatible mpeg stream.. worth a go.

Aa
21st December 2007, 04:25 PM
Oh cmon purana, don't ffmpegx me!

I've never been able to get that thing working with all of the extra downloads and configuring it needs...

any other ideas? (while i try and get imovie to stop ken burnsing the photos i @#%!!ing imported...)

g5agogo
21st December 2007, 04:49 PM
1. How long is the movie?

2. Visualhub 2 pass should do it (deinterlace if you must)

grorr76
21st December 2007, 05:20 PM
ill go furthur here.
there 2 issues
1 de-interlacing is imperative when playing any video on a lcd
2 if you are playing compressed video and upscaling either on a monitor or a lcd tv, very rarely will you not get artifacting.

Lilith
21st December 2007, 09:57 PM
The problem here is the .mov format. It is not the original "uncompressed" raw digital format straight from the movie camera / still camera.

As a .mov file it could be any horizontal and vertical size with any sort of compression. Open it in Quicktime and have a look. Note that the horizontal x vertical probably doesn't exactly match up with the SD dimensions for a DVD. Thus some sort of extrapolating to the new size is required. This means that things need to be approximated or calculated - pixels are computed and that means the "artifacts" - video speak for jaggies.

As I don't make video via iPhoto and have pro Quicktime which gives more options I can't comment exactly on what is happening.

What you wanted to do is VERY possible in iMovie 6. The last uncrippled version of iMovie (hem). You can then go straight to iDVD.

Just import each photo into iMovie. Adjust the length of each "still". Do the transitions. Add the sound track. Adjust the length of each "still". Export to iDvd. Burn.

Easy for me, sorry.

purana
21st December 2007, 10:13 PM
Oh cmon purana, don't ffmpegx me!

It's so easy, don't know why so many folk have issue. Best tool out, shame it don't work on Leopard for the moment, hope they fix that soon with another release, but it's not looking very likely so far.

jrad
21st December 2007, 10:39 PM
MPEG Streamclip! Brilliant application... converts quicktime compatible files into many many formats. You may find converting it first into another codec may assist your DVD application with the process. I can say it has for me :p

Aa
22nd December 2007, 11:28 AM
What you wanted to do is VERY possible in iMovie 6. The last uncrippled version of iMovie (hem). You can then go straight to iDVD.

Just import each photo into iMovie. Adjust the length of each "still". Do the transitions. Add the sound track. Adjust the length of each "still". Export to iDvd. Burn.

Easy for me, sorry.

Well, when i tried this in iMovie it Ken Burnsed me to death. I need stills not pans.
And it wouldn't let me extend the frames for some reason. They were all set at 5secs.
I know it should be easy but i can''t find anything anywhere to allow me to change the values of the time of the clip in the timeline (including double clicking, right clicking, looking for prefs, dragging it - it just doesn't. Bizarre.) , or, the auto Ken burnsing (though i have found a couple of threads on this on the nets).

Also when sending it to iDVD it tries to turn it into a bloody postcard.

This is so infuriating! (and a little embarassing)

1. How long is the movie?

2. Visualhub 2 pass should do it (deinterlace if you must)
Visualhub 2 did the job, but only 2minutes of the movie in demo mode and has restricted paypal purchasing. Will take me a week over christmas to actually get a working copy by using a bank transfer.

MPEG Streamclip! Brilliant application... converts quicktime compatible files into many many formats. You may find converting it first into another codec may assist your DVD application with the process. I can say it has for me :p
Whats the procedure to get this to burn an autoplay DVD jazza? I'm not sure if it's capable..

I guess I'll see if i can de-ken burns the iMovie procedure, work out the timeline clips issues and go that path.

Cheers for all of the help people.:thumbup: