PDA

View Full Version : Capture Video

krec
6th March 2005, 06:57 AM
Hi...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what and how to capture the video from a vcr into my Mac G3 so that I can edit and burn it to VCD (I don't have a dvd burner on my G3). What hardware/software do I need? Can it be done on my good old G3 and keep the cost down??? Just want to preserve some home videos.

My computer is...
OS 9.1
G3 450mhz
576 mg ram
An empty 60 gig hard drive
Two additional drives with software and files
All pci slots are now filled - one spot is additional usb - could do that a different way - so I could free up one slot

Any ideas where to start will be appreciated.

Thanks,
krec

StLuke
21st March 2005, 01:33 AM
You'll need a digitizer of some kind: there are PCI video capture cards, external firewire digitisers (canopus for example) and some handycams have a video digitizer throughput.

I have a recent, $1k sony handycam that does the job for me, connected by firewire to my 1ghz PB. You can import with imovie/final cut, but on an older machine you might get better performance from 'BTV Pro' (google it, I can't find the link right now :)

I don't know of any usb solutions, although I think USB2 should be fast enough (in theory) to handle the digitized video stream. You probably don't have that on yr machine :)

On your machine stats, I'm not sure the processor will be able to capture at reasonable quality and frames per second.

There'll probably be someone around here with the equipment (heck, if yr in Adelaide and you can pay me for the time it takes, I'll do it...) so post in the forums to see if someone near you can help out.

Paxton
21st March 2005, 06:56 AM
With that much ram, and a 450G3, I could consider upgrading to Panther. There are many more firewire devices for Panther than Classic. This will help your search for video capture cards and Dvd burners. A Faster HDD will help in the upgrade.

My 2

Currawong
21st March 2005, 07:10 AM
DV capture should be ok, even on a G3, using iMovie (or Final Cut) if you use a converter such as one of the Canopus offerings. You plug the VCR using the video and audio outputs into the Canopus box, and connect the box using firewire to your computer. It then behaves as if you are capturing off of a regular DV camera, though you have to start the VCR yourself.

Alessiman
21st March 2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Mar 21 2005, 07:10 AM
DV capture should be ok, even on a G3, using iMovie (or Final Cut) if you use a converter such as one of the Canopus offerings. You plug the VCR using the video and audio outputs into the Canopus box, and connect the box using firewire to your computer. It then behaves as if you are capturing off of a regular DV camera, though you have to start the VCR yourself.
The Original Elgato Eye TV's "should" be very cheap now and do the job marvelously

I would be checking ebay or out a WTB sign on here for this unit. Simple simple to use and works on a G3 with no issues as its only Mpeg-1