PDA

View Full Version : iTunes folder won't move

rickyd
20th December 2007, 05:20 PM
Hi there,

I'm trying to move over my iTunes Music Folder over to an internal HD, but even with iTunes closed it says it is busy and cannot be changed.

What's going on?

TIA,
Ricky.

iceviolet6
20th December 2007, 05:34 PM
Im not sure what is going on but a few basic things to check are if the folder is locked and if any other programs that can play music/get information from your itunes folder are closed. Also make sure that no ipods or mp3 players are connected just incase those are trying to access the folder. Its basic but its possible to overlook these things.
Another suggestion is to go into iTunes and create a new folder where it should store all the music files. After this is done you could transfer all your music to the new folder on the internal hard drive. I'm not sure if this would effect any music you have bought through iTunes however.
Im not sure what else you could do.. those are the only ideas I have on that one.

adamd
20th December 2007, 07:01 PM
My favourite... Make a new folder where you want your music... give it a name.
Open itunes, [CMD]+[,] and then 'Advanced'... hit the "Change" Button... Select the folder you want to use, and hit Choose...
Now close your Preference window... head for "Advanced" | "Consolidate Library"...
Confirm by selecting "Consolidate"... and VOLA... your music will be moved to your new music folder... I'm not sure if it moves the playlists and library information, but a drag and drop should sort it out..
If your Library information is not moved, [OPTION/ALT]+Open iTunes.. select the library file and there you go...
email me for more help or aim me: adamd@i3network.net

rickyd
20th December 2007, 07:37 PM
It seems to work. But do I have to do this every time I update my Library?

adamd
21st December 2007, 04:31 PM
It seems to work. But do I have to do this every time I update my Library?

Hold up, you're using your external over two computers... and want the same iTunes library to be going between them?

EDIT:
I just read your original entry... If you're moving from an external to an internal, and plan to KEEP USING THE INTERNAL, then No. If you are going to use the same iTunes Library over 2 computers, then you shouldn't need to re-configure your library... As long as both computers are referencing to the Music and Library from your external drive.

rickyd
21st December 2007, 04:33 PM
No. I'm using an internal drive on one machine :)

adamd
22nd December 2007, 01:50 PM
No. I'm using an internal drive on one machine :)

So you're shifting from an external to an internal, with no intention to use it between 2 computers?
If yes, it should be fine, and you wont have to re-do your library.