PDA

View Full Version : MBP encoding at 100 Degrees

The Fluffy Duck
20th December 2007, 01:40 PM
my MBP is encoding video at 100 degrees is that healthy?

Wally
20th December 2007, 01:42 PM
Its normal, you probably should get an Elegato Turbo 264, will cut back on the processor stress. oh and close any other running apps that you dont need.

Edit: Figured 100 degrees is too hot :/ but then again, it depends how many apps you have running and how warm the room is.

I hope you dont use SMC fan control

grorr76
20th December 2007, 01:48 PM
I disagree there.
I regularly encode video, hd, ipod web video and my laptop has never hit 100 degree's or desktop for that matter.
I would run the hardware test dvd to see if it comes up with any issues.
If your laptop is still under warranty get it checked over, better to be safe than sure.

Squozen
20th December 2007, 01:53 PM
100C? Not good, the thermal specification for the Core 2 Duo is about 60C. You probably have one of the MBPs with the special Re-Tard-O paste application...

I suspect mine is too, 54 at idle on a 17" MBP...

HDK
20th December 2007, 01:57 PM
When I encode, topping out my cpu on my MBP, I think it reached 91C on a hot day once. Normally around the 80C mark when encoding.
48C now on a muggy 28C day at idle.

The Fluffy Duck
20th December 2007, 02:04 PM
well joy for me I have been trying to run the hardware test but cant seem to run it.

Yes I am running the right dvd. I have tried nearly every single Key under the sun "D" does not work.

Would firmware password screw that up?

grorr76
20th December 2007, 02:04 PM
tip
also never encode video on a laptop with it sitting flush with a desk always have it on some sort of elevation letting air circulate under its bottom.

The Fluffy Duck
20th December 2007, 02:06 PM
its hovvering on 98 most of the time. I have it arched up on some books for ventilation and I have a fan blowing air underneath

Brains
20th December 2007, 02:14 PM
If your temperature ever goes over 80 C for any extended period of time, you should begin to be very concerned.

Grab smcFanControl and lower the temperature ratios to make the fans run faster. If your CPU temp still wants to remain over 80 C even whilst it is under low load and getting plenty of airflow, I'd be seriously considering taking it into a service point before something bakes itself to death.

The Fluffy Duck
20th December 2007, 02:27 PM
If your temperature ever goes over 80 C for any extended period of time, you should begin to be very concerned.

Grab smcFanControl and lower the temperature ratios to make the fans run faster. If your CPU temp still wants to remain over 80 C even whilst it is under low load and getting plenty of airflow, I'd be seriously considering taking it into a service point before something bakes itself to death.

Crap!!!

grorr76
20th December 2007, 03:19 PM
Crap!!!

seriously get it seen asap i would turn it off and get a tech onto it.

Sambo
20th December 2007, 03:25 PM
When my Core Duo 15" MBP encodes video it can hit the 90's at times. It is still working fine though.

james the 2nd
20th December 2007, 03:29 PM
88 degrees for handbrake dvd transfer just yesterday.

usually idles around 58-60.

Sambo
20th December 2007, 04:18 PM
88 degrees for handbrake dvd transfer just yesterday.

usually idles around 58-60.

Yep same. Maybe this is only the original MBP's that it happens with.

james the 2nd
20th December 2007, 04:19 PM
Yep same. Maybe this is only the original MBP's that it happens with.

mines a 2 ghz intel core duo.

Sambo
20th December 2007, 05:26 PM
mines a 2 ghz intel core duo.

Yup, exact same model here.

The Fluffy Duck
20th December 2007, 07:18 PM
ok quick question before I hit the panic button.
Could it be todays weather that made it go high?

Just browsing the web the temp is 45-50. is that normal at least?

T-D-J
20th December 2007, 07:56 PM
ok quick question before I hit the panic button.
Could it be todays weather that made it go high?

Just browsing the web the temp is 45-50. is that normal at least?

Yeah that sounds normal for surfing the web, the fans should ark up to around 6000rpm when you hit the CPU and should keep it around 50-60, (thats what mine does when i'm running full load with matlab, its very loud).

Sounds like there might be problem with your fans, or at least one of your fans. I changed my thermal paste on my machine after the temps were hitting 90C regularly and sitting at 70ish when just doing web surfing. Hence why I think it might be a fan rather than the paste.

The Fluffy Duck
20th December 2007, 10:12 PM
Well menu meters sasy both fans are sitting at 2000 rpm

Sambo
20th December 2007, 11:18 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the minimum fan speed on santa rosa.

T-D-J
21st December 2007, 06:24 AM

What are the fans running at when the machine is under full load at 90C ?

The Fluffy Duck
21st December 2007, 07:25 AM
6000rpm

T-D-J
21st December 2007, 11:39 AM
6000rpm

To change my tune, state the obvious and parrot other people in the thread, get it checked out, as all its showing is poor thermal conduction between the chips and the heat pipe, I had the same problem on the original macbook pro.

Disko
21st December 2007, 12:37 PM
Its normal

Hell no!

100 degrees isn't normal. Your fans should kick in at about 60 degrees. That machine shouldn't be getting near 70.

Carcenomy
21st December 2007, 10:31 PM
Indeed. Hell, I'm no MBP expert, but after an email conversation with Intel about Core2 temperatures, I can assure you that over 50 is beyond Intel's stated recommendations and over 60 is getting ridiculous... let alone 100 degrees. Any CPU running hot enough to boil water is running too hot. Have it seen to.

The Fluffy Duck
21st December 2007, 11:07 PM
I ran the hardware test. no problems were found.

Its king of getting worse I am getting 50-60 for browsing web and email.

Where should I take it and roughly how long is the turn around at this time of year?

Carcenomy
21st December 2007, 11:13 PM
The test would be simply looking for hardware failures and things though yes? It can't tell if bodgy thermal compound is preventing effective heat transfer and is resulting in a CPU operating well outside its thermal envelope...

The Fluffy Duck
21st December 2007, 11:13 PM
Its kind of getting worse I am getting 50-60 for browsing web and email.

Where should I take it and roughly how long is the turn around at this time of year?

Carcenomy
21st December 2007, 11:22 PM
Personally I'd take it back after christmas when they're less busy, just keep a close eye on it... would probably help to not do any strenuous activity like encoding until you get it looked at too.

QueenOfSwords
22nd December 2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah actually the Apple Hardware Test will sometimes throw a thermal sensor error (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=2131446) if your Core Duo is running too hot. So crank up your encoder, and run the AHT right after, and you'll have something to write down and take to the tech.

I actually got my logic board replaced without too much fuss for this exact reason, I have a 1.83 Core Duo MBP.

The Fluffy Duck
14th January 2008, 09:54 PM
OK here is the deal I took it to a place to have it looked at. They ran the apple hardware tests (and others I assume) and said there is nothing wrong with it.

I am somehow not convinced. I was doing a bit of video editing importing from my built in webcam and the computer once again hit the 99 degree mark The quality of the video got jumpy and imovie said it was going to take 23 minutes to make a thumnail.

They had the computer running in a corner for a few hours on low battery running a few apps (just open not doing anything) and, surprise surprise couldnt replicated the problem even when I told them its hardcore use.

Is it worth a second opinion? near 100 degrees isnt good and the computer crawls to a halt when its that hot.

Jedda
14th January 2008, 10:09 PM
They had the computer running in a corner for a few hours on low battery running a few apps (just open not doing anything) and, surprise surprise couldnt replicated the problem even when I told them its hardcore use.

Is it worth a second opinion? near 100 degrees isnt good and the computer crawls to a halt when its that hot.

If that's what they actually did, then never take the machine back there, as they are a bunch of tools. It's certainly no way to test a machine for possible thermal issues.

Apple's service diagnostics are unlikely to pick up on any major thermal problem. They pretty much just check that fans are spinning, and thermal sensors can read a value. Your best way to show a service technician the issues is to get the machine running hot, and do it quickly. If they can't figure out how to do this, you might have to show them.

In Terminal, run the following command:

yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null

That will max out both your cores, and will get the machine toasty in no time. To stop it, just close the Terminal window. No technician, no matter how stupid is going to see 100 degrees C on a test like that, and dismiss it as normal.

Bring it to Streetwise, and i'll reapply your thermal paste.

STK
14th January 2008, 10:57 PM
Jedda, When you say reapply thermal pase, is yours the same as apples or better? (I.e can we pay you to put better paste on to keep machines cooler?)

Carcenomy
14th January 2008, 11:15 PM
I'd certainly hope it's better than Apple's. Judging on the reports coming in, sounds like their default paste is pretty awful. Zalman ZM-STG1 or Arctic Silver 5 would be the go. I use ZM-STG1 on everything, even my iBook.

I agree whole heartedly with Jedda - sounds like the techs looking at it didn't know what to look for. The reason it's slowing down by the way is because the CPU has exceeded its thermal design limits and it's automatically downclocking itself as a self preservation measure... 'throttling' as it's known. And you don't need any piece of paper with an Apple logo on it to know that if your Mac is throttling, there's something dramatically wrong.

Jedda
22nd February 2008, 02:46 PM
For anyone interested, I just re-applied the thermal paste on Duck's machine, and it is now running OK. Max temps are now no higher than 80, and this is with full CPU, GPU, and I/O activity.

Apple's factory application of the paste was sub-par to say the least. CPU was not covered correctly, and was not mating.

leon
22nd February 2008, 03:16 PM
Out of interest Jedda, was this job covered by Applecare (if Applecare was applicable on the machine) or is it something that the Duck had to pay for himself?

Jedda
22nd February 2008, 03:18 PM
Out of interest Jedda, was this job covered by Applecare (if Applecare was applicable on the machine) or is it something that the Duck had to pay for himself?

No charge to the Duck. Warranty covered it.

Lachie
22nd February 2008, 03:22 PM
fluffy have you tried making a cup of tea with water heated from your mbp? iv seen it done. wasnt boiling but was hot enough to brew a tea bag

jrad
22nd February 2008, 03:22 PM
In Terminal, run the following command:

yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null

That will max out both your cores, and will get the machine toasty in no time. To stop it, just close the Terminal window. No technician, no matter how stupid is going to see 100 degrees C on a test like that, and dismiss it as normal.

That is an awesome idea. Great way to prove your point.

Also, because you're dealing with a lot of video and love stressing the CPU and HDD like I strongly recommend getting the Griffin Elevator or raindesign mStand (I got the mStand, found it secures the laptop a lot better and doesn't wobble heaps). Not only does it keep your table tidy and improves the posture of the user but the operating temp dropped a fair bit. When I tested it on an idling MBP I remember seeing a drop of 5 - 10c, and it wasn't really doing a great deal. Imagine the improvement one would see from video encoding!

morn
23rd February 2008, 08:56 PM
100C? Not good, the thermal specification for the Core 2 Duo is about 60C. You probably have one of the MBPs with the special Re-Tard-O paste application...

I suspect mine is too, 54 at idle on a 17" MBP...

No the thermal specification is not 60C it's 100C which is also the max the sensors will detect. MBP should be at around 80C on full load that is it's normal temperature and that's perfectly fine and within Intel's and Apple's specs. 60C is the normal *idle* temperature on these units.....
Frankly most people on this thread are quite wrong about what is normal temperature for a MBP. Anything below 90C is acceptable and within specs. It's an engineering deceision by apple to reach near the top of the thermal specifications. Why? Thinness and low noise level of course. It's called pushing the technology to achieve the best design, it's what apple is about.
However his unit is indeed overheating and may well be above 100C, and you're probably also seeing reduced performance as the CPU attempts to block clock cycles in an effort to avoid meltdown...