PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with setting up Dynamic DNS please!

rickyd
19th December 2007, 08:57 PM
Guys,

As some of you may know I'm having a little bit of grief with my recent Leopard Server setup. I am apparently supposed to setup Dynamic DNS on this thing, and I am with dyndns.com.

Now when I go to setup Dynamic DNS I am asked for my hostname. Let me clarify I know next to nothing about networking or servers, and this is admittedly the hardest way to learn!

When I setup Leopard Server I named it server.rickyprograms.com. Obviously that won't work as I haven't linked it up to an IP address yet. If I wanted to access my wiki I'd type in my local IP address and vuola, it worked, but when I type in my real (lengthy) IP address...nothing??

Can anyone please give me some advice of telling server.rickyprograms.com (or some other appropriate alternative) to go to my IP address AND work?!

Thanks,
Ricky.

purana
19th December 2007, 09:43 PM
Setup a dyndns host using one of the free domains they have... ie.. blahblah.dyndns.org that will then be updated to what your IP is whenever it changes (by using the dyndns client on your router or on a machine).

Then create an cname record on your domain rickyprograms.com that does say,

server.rickyprograms.com cnames (aliases) to blahblah.dyndns.org

Then when anyone in the outside world types server.rickyprograms.com it will goto the current ip associated with the blahblah.dyndns.org

Of course you will then need to make sure any services that box provides has ports forwarded to it from your router. Otherwise stuff just won't work.

Hate to say it though, you seem a little out of your depth (or bit off more then you could chew).

Stick at it, and I am sure you will get it working though, it takes alot of time and alot of reading. Not to mention tinker along the way.

rickyd
19th December 2007, 10:45 PM
Purana,

I have done what you suggested;
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9321/picture1qd5.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1qd5.jpg)
This still will not work. I have an AirPort Extreme Base Station, is it possible to define what ports (someone said port 80) in AirPort Utility? I can't find anything.

Thanks,
Ricky.

Currawong
19th December 2007, 10:55 PM
Something that may help you is this article (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=35822) I wrote. It's not directly for what you are doing, but I explained the basics of DNS in it.

purana
20th December 2007, 06:20 AM
It would be impossible to explain this in detail, not to mention time consuming. All we can do is give you guidance. Explained the 3 steps or processes needed above to make it work. Now it's up to you.

Good luck.

decryption
20th December 2007, 06:41 AM
Open port 80 on your firewall, then type this into your web browser: http://rickyprograms.selfip.com and see if it directs to your webpage. (if it doesnt work, ask someone else to check as due to things like NAT it may not load up for you via an external IP into your own network).

rickyd
20th December 2007, 04:15 PM
Well I set it up on my iMac today. I'm still in the same boat.

I am able to get the IP address for my local network going alright, but when it comes to external (Dynamic DNS) then that's another issue. And it's not even really dynamic DNS. This time in the setup I chose DHCP with manual IP address so it has it's own all the time.

I don't understand what is wrong. Even when I type in my iMac's extended IP address in Safari (on my MBP (which is on the local network)) I can't connect. There is no firewall on and port 80 on my AirPort is open.

purana
20th December 2007, 04:46 PM
As indicated by decryption, you shouldn't attempt to type in your cname record (dyndns.org hostname to test it from internally) as it won't work, you must get someone to test it on another internet link. ie. someone outside your network.

For you to access this server internally, you should use the internal dns name (while external people should use the cname domain record you setup which aliases to your dyndns.org hostname for your external ip).

rickyd
20th December 2007, 06:22 PM
Well I got a friend to try entering my IP address, no luck.