PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ram in MBP

STK
18th December 2007, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,
I intend on getting more ram for my 2.33ghz 15" MBP.
Few questions:

1. Will it void my warranty?
2. DIY or get somebody to do it?
3. Is the max my mbp holds 3gb of ram?
4. I currently have 2gb will 3gb make much difference?

Simo :thumbup:

Huy
18th December 2007, 02:17 PM
I don't think it will void the warranty, since it is user replaceable?

DIY.

I think it is 3GB for yours, and 4GB for the Santa Rosas... can't say about going from 2 to 3GB.

kim jong il
18th December 2007, 02:20 PM
I hope you were just being lazy: 3GB (http://www.lowendmac.com/macbookpro/15core2.html)

Will it make a difference? Depends how much you demand of your machine. ;)

STK
18th December 2007, 02:35 PM
Hmm. according to iSlayers widget I have never maxed the usage of my ram. but i have not checked that when playing games..But i dont thing it works like that...

Explanation somebody?

STK
18th December 2007, 02:38 PM
Just read the MBP service guide and it seems VERY easy to do but whats a:

ESD wrist strap and mat? it says i need one. Is it required?

El Guardo
18th December 2007, 02:57 PM
1. Will it void my warranty?
No it won't void your warranty.

2. DIY or get somebody to do it?
There's a how-to guide on the Apple website. Just search through the support (http://www.apple.com) pages to find it.

3. Is the max my mbp holds 3gb of ram?
Correct. Technically 3GB max.

Why technically? Because you can install 4GB and it will recognise 3.4Gb.Why? simplest answer is Intel chipset. There's a more in depth (and justifiable) explanation but since you can't do anything about it, I'm not inclined to read and translate said explanation into simple English.

Your next question is therefore likely to be - is it better to run 3Gb or 4Gb, seeing as the latter is paired RAM? Short answer: depends on how you use the computer and, even then, I don't know.

4. I currently have 2gb will 3gb make much difference?

If you're encoding HD video or editing uncompressed TIFFs in Photoshop with long histories or complex filters, then yes, throw as much RAM into your machine as you can - you'll notice the difference. But if you're doing email, word processing, spreadsheeting, development work or the odd multimedia activity (through iLife), then I don't know if you'll notice a significant change. If all those apps are open at the same time then switching between them will be quicker, but that's about it.

There are perhaps two things worth commenting on. One, most people are better off upgrading to a faster spinning hard drive than installing more RAM (if said RAM is already at 2GB). Two, when it comes to Mac OS X, golden rule is to always install as much RAM as you can reasonably afford.

STK
18th December 2007, 02:59 PM
Well I do have a 7200RPM drive :D

Hmm this might be a good xmas present...

So whats with this ESD wrist strap and mat ?

uncyherb
18th December 2007, 03:01 PM
1. No - it's a user replaceable part... but if you have applecare it must be apple ram for it to be covered (kind of obvious, but worth stating).
2. DIY - see here for full detailed instructions (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/RAM/115/3/)
3. For your machine, yes 3GB is max
4. Not much difference according to the tests and theory... in fact there is some theory to suggest that 2gigs of ram in these machines is faster in most situations, that only really heavy ram hogging programs will notice any improvement due to the way the system addresses the 1 + 2 gig versus 1 + 1 gig configs. If you're doing heaps of photoshop or FCP it might be worth it, if not it's probably not worth it.

kim jong il
18th December 2007, 03:29 PM
So whats with this ESD wrist strap and mat ?
We should rename you "baby bird" (cheep cheep; I can't, even remotely, be bothered looking; just feed me the answer). Is using the Wiki really too challenging for you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge)? ;)

ESD = Electro Static Discharge. An ESD strap wraps around your wrist and you clamp it on to the chassis so there is no electrical potential between you and what you are working on. An ESD mat does the same sort of thing. You have an earthed conductive mat on the floor connected to a conductive mat on the table/workbench

STK
18th December 2007, 03:53 PM
I thought it had something to do with that...Is it needed?

Whats the workaround of buying one?

kim jong il
18th December 2007, 04:20 PM
Now that is a good question. :) What you should do is avoid wearing synthetic soled shoes (or anything really) or working while standing on a woolen or synthetic carpet...

Now that you have found an appropriate work place (wooden floors or tiles are good) what you want to do is make sure you touch part of the metal chassis of the equipment you are working on (to equalise electrical potential between you and the equipment) before you start and periodically while you are working on it. (e.g. immediately before you remove, pickup or replace those RAM chips, touch the chassis and/or something which is earthed).

Cheers

EDIT: this is how I work: With the equipment plugged in I touch part of the chassis (something prominent and metallic). I then unplug it. I press the power button for two seconds (this discharges the logicboard/psu capacitors). I then start work. I never shuffle around and make sure, before I touch anything which may be sensitive, I touch the chassis first.

Hope this was of some use to you. :)