PDA

View Full Version : How to Repartition without data loss

gregz
18th December 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am windering if there is any way to repartition the HDD without data loss.
ie without utilities like VolumeWorks or iPartition, and remove the BootCamp Fat32 partition; then expand the HFS without data loss.

My main thought is to remove the Fat32 using a linux boot cd, then use Mac to expand and use the space. To delete should not be a problem; but what are your thoughts on expanding using the OSX Disk Utility - can it do it?

If there is no tool there are only 2 choices:
- reload, or
- partition utility

PS: is there a free utility that can do this, instead of buying VolumeWorks or iPartition and using it once?

Why doesn't Apple provide an 'I want out of bootcamp' option?

Cheers,
Greg

sectioneight
18th December 2007, 12:16 PM
Can't you just select the option in bootcamp assistant to remove the windows drive?

forgie
18th December 2007, 12:56 PM
I thought that Bootcamp DOES give you an option to remove the windows partition - but that's just what I've been told, I haven't actually used it.

gameon
18th December 2007, 01:00 PM
load up the bootcamp assistant and it will give you the option to remove the windows partition

gregz
19th December 2007, 01:59 PM
Cheers Lads,

How dare I say that about the large fruit!

Yes, there is the option (which I obviously miss-read and assumed it would change booting and not remove the partition), and it works perfectly. So smooth that it took a few seconds to do and nothing else.

Thank you, I have regained 20gb of space and do not miss windows in the slightest.

Humbly, Greg