PDA

View Full Version : Mail passwords aren't remembered

iThinkMac
18th December 2007, 09:15 AM
I used MainMenu a while back to do a system clean, and right after that, I noticed that mail wanted me to reenter my account passwords - that was usual I thought, after a clean. The trouble is, every time I open mail, it wants the account passwords to retrieve new mail. I enter the passwords, and Mail remembers them fine, all until I close the app. Then it seems to 'forget' them. Next time I open Mail, I have to reenter all of my mail account passwords again.

Any ideas? Is this a problem with Keychain access?

Cheers,
iTM

cosmichobo
18th December 2007, 09:40 AM
No idea if it's the same thing, but Mail regularly seems to haveproblems with my accounts' passwords... daily it asks what they are... I tell it cancel, which puts the account offline... then tell it to go online again, and allswell... til next time...

So - love to know what's up with it all!

Venom71
18th December 2007, 10:36 AM
I kind of remember that one method for correcting this problem was to delete your mail account passwords from Keychain, repair Keychain, and then re-enter them in Mail.

Give it a go and see if it helps.

Cheers
MacP

gaehl
18th December 2007, 10:39 AM
No idea if it's the same thing, but Mail regularly seems to haveproblems with my accounts' passwords... daily it asks what they are... I tell it cancel, which puts the account offline... then tell it to go online again, and allswell... til next time...

So - love to know what's up with it all!

If your mail server goes offline for min or 2 like my work one does for maintenance, mail.app assumes any error contacting the mail server is wrong password and wants you to enter it. But as you can tell after it comes back up its fine.

Its a bug they need to fix.

iThinkMac
18th December 2007, 09:04 PM
I kind of remember that one method for correcting this problem was to delete your mail account passwords from Keychain, repair Keychain, and then re-enter them in Mail.

Give it a go and see if it helps.

Cheers
MacP

Yep - worked beautifully. I trashed mail prefs and reset keychain, and all works fine - I did loose about 130 emails (only 8 or so left), but oh well;)) - anyone know where they went? :confused: Main thing is that it doesn't ask for passwords now.

Thanks,
iTM