PDA

View Full Version : What application do you use for email?

litteduck
5th March 2005, 01:58 AM
What programs do everyone use to receive e-mails except the .mac account e-mails.

MacV
5th March 2005, 04:42 AM
Well I use the default mail.app for POP3 emails, and I also use gmail and yahoo for web-based mail.

Paxton
5th March 2005, 06:46 AM
Mail.App works for me. Entourage is definitely a good program, but it is fiddly and hard to get used to, and is nothing like Outlook for Windows which I have to use for work. :thumbdn:

Quamen
5th March 2005, 06:46 AM
I use mail for my pop3 accounts and my gmail :)

kim jong il
5th March 2005, 07:29 AM
The same as the above: the OS X mail app' and Gmail for webmail.

hawker
5th March 2005, 08:41 AM
I use to swear by Entourage, but they changed it too much and I got over it - now I just use webmail for everything. ;)

Danamania
5th March 2005, 08:47 AM
mutt

hawker
5th March 2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by danamania@Mar 5 2005, 08:47 AM
mutt
say what?!

the_OM
5th March 2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Mar 5 2005, 08:53 AM
say what?!
i believe it means hello.
Or she might be referring to the fact we've had discussions or similar ones like this ("mail vs. entourage" particularly a number of times).

overway
5th March 2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Mar 5 2005, 08:53 AM
say what?!
http://www.mutt.org/

warren21
5th March 2005, 10:08 AM
Mail.

CarbonRods
5th March 2005, 10:26 AM
Mail, the best IMAP mail client that I've used.

CR

rpjallan
5th March 2005, 11:47 AM
I got my first mac in 1997 when OS 8 was just released. It came with Netscape, which I started using. You'll probably all think I'm crazy but I'm still using it. I've never really had any reason to change to be quite honest.

gmask1
5th March 2005, 12:07 PM
Entourage - It just seems to suit my way of working. I'll take another look at Mail when Tiger wanders in :)

suryo
5th March 2005, 06:39 PM
I used to use Mail and loved it dearly, but it bit me hard a couple of times so I stopped using it. Be warned - if you edit an attachment before sending it, Mail will send the unedited version - even if you save changes first. I can't afford for this sort of thing to happen as I submit most of my Uni work electronically. I have lost marks before because some last-minute changes I made were evidently not made to the version that was sent. Very disappointing.

Since then I've tried Thunderbird and found that it's not mature enough yet, then I moved on to Entourage. It's not the most elegant app I've ever used but it seems to be working for me at the moment. The only thing that worries me is the inherent weakness of the single database file but since I only use it for eMail and backup everything weekly, it's not really a huge issue for me.

matttt88
5th March 2005, 07:47 PM
Mail.

But i have problems with attachments, say if a friend attaches a HTML file... i cant download the file, it tries to display it, nowhere can i download the file seperate, i have to look at the RAW version of the message and copy and paste the HTML to a text editor.

One other problem i have with attachments is it sends odd files with underslashes infront of it to friends of mine on Three. Yes its just a crappy email client on their phone, and i do click "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" but they get flooded with like 10 files and their phone wont let them download any of them, even the proper file. Oh well.

One other little grumble is i have Telstra Bigpond, and sadly this is one of the mail accounts i use, it frequently drops out and Mail will then ask for the password, and it pops up over other windows i got open, very annoying.

The way it looks, we only have really two choices... Mail and Enterage. Mail being the only choice for most people, its free!

I would love to try another, but i cant find any, and there is no way i can be bothered running Enterage all the time. Too cluttered for me.

Matt. :)

CarbonRods
5th March 2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by matttt88@Mar 5 2005, 07:47 PM
The way it looks, we only have really two choices... Mail and Enterage. Mail being the only choice for most people, its free!

I would love to try another, but i cant find any, and there is no way i can be bothered running Enterage all the time. Too cluttered for me.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

http://www.eudora.com/

CR

matttt88
5th March 2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah, i personally dont really like them, But.. Ive just searched again. I came accross this...

http://www.gyazsquare.com/gyazmail/index.php

Take a look, its similar to Mail. Im using it for the moment and seeing how well it goes.

suryo
5th March 2005, 08:33 PM
Just had a look at GyazMail. No IMAP support yet. I'll wait until they implement IMAP functionality before I try it out.

Currawong
6th March 2005, 08:46 AM
Entourage here. Been bitten by mail.app disabling accounts any time that it couldn't connect to one, which resulted in some serious eBay issues!

I use all the features of Entourage though, as I receive mail from all over the place. I group things into projects so that I can see at a glance, say, all my Appletalk stuff in one hit.