PDA

View Full Version : weird LCD prob PB Ti

swaz
12th December 2007, 07:07 PM
machine is a Powerbook Ti 887 15.4"
Boots up and operates just fine. EXCEPT it as if someone has turned the brightness WAY up on it and over saturated what colours are left on the screen. Move the mouse pointer around and it leaves a trail behind it.... it is as if the screen is retarded- meaning it is a lot slower than the info being feed into it.
Any help Mac people??? Ive already snapped both hinges on the bloody thing. This has turned my Mac experience very very sour!

Byrd
12th December 2007, 07:19 PM
Check System Preferences --> Universal Access --> is "enhance contrast" set to anything else but "normal"?

if no luck ...

Go back to main Preferences screen --> Display --> Color --> recalibrate screen.

As you know bad hinges on the Ti PB can place undue pressure on the LCD cables; does tilting the screen help, and have you tried an external display?

JB

swaz
12th December 2007, 07:25 PM
have done the sys pref thing as I googled the prob before asking here

Cables are in good condition and I dont have it attached to the body of the laptop. Spent hours checking all the ribbon cablesto and from the LCD. Even have the back off the LCD case and it all looks ok.
Oh and this started before I took it apart.
Getting to the point that its going in the bin shortly if I cant fix it.
At least with a Window's machine I can get into it and fix things!

Byrd
12th December 2007, 08:15 PM
OK ... so do you get the same screen issues when it's plugged into an external display? Or when you boot off an OS X installer CD?

Next up, reset PRAM and NVRAM:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

don't bin the old girl ... I'd love it :D

JB

swaz
12th December 2007, 08:39 PM
neither of those things worked
plugged it into my pc CRT and it works like a charm.
The LCD is cactus isnt it?

Byrd
12th December 2007, 08:50 PM
Yep, sounds like it. There must be some damage somewhere, possibly due to the bad hinges of past. You could source a replacement screen off eBay, but you'd need all the LVDS/LCD cables to get it to work properly :(

JB

swaz
12th December 2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for your help
Last mac ill be buying!

silverdreamer
12th December 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your help
Last mac ill be buying!

How long have you had it?

sectioneight
12th December 2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your help
Last mac ill be buying!

I'll gladly take it off your hands (for $$$), I fixed my old Ti book that had a cracked LCD no worries, sounds fun ;)

Its a shame - you shouldn't write off macs from this experience alone!

The DVD drive and screen died on my iMac within 3 days of purchasing, my Mac Mini hard drive died within 3 months of purchase - I'd still buy another in a heartbeat!

swaz
13th December 2007, 05:55 AM
too late, garbage man came and collected it this morning with the rest of the useless and unwanted rubbish.

KIDDING!

Where is the best place to get an LCD from? Or can the ribbon be replaced?

Ive had the Mac about ummm a month

I do like it. Slim, easy to use and looks great! Suits me perfectly. However being Xmas money is going elsewhere at the moment so spending $500 on a new LCD just isnt going to happen.

Byrd
13th December 2007, 08:02 AM
Trawling eBay would be your best bet. I'd still dismantle the screen, with the bottom casing off, and gently jiggle the cables to see what happens.

Oh, make sure if you do get another screen it's for the DVI Ti model - 867 and 1000Mhz. Older screens I believe do work, but at a lower resolution and are generally a bit crappier.

JB

silverdreamer
13th December 2007, 08:03 AM
too late, garbage man came and collected it this morning with the rest of the useless and unwanted rubbish.

KIDDING!

Where is the best place to get an LCD from? Or can the ribbon be replaced?

Ive had the Mac about ummm a month

I do like it. Slim, easy to use and looks great! Suits me perfectly. However being Xmas money is going elsewhere at the moment so spending $500 on a new LCD just isnt going to happen.

You have owned a 5 year old Mac for a month, and you are prepared to judge all macs on your experience.:confused:

Do yourself a favour. Go out and buy a new macbook, if after 1 week you are not impressed, advertise it here or ebay.....

But I tell you now, once you buy it, you will keep it!:cool:

swaz
13th December 2007, 08:13 AM
I was only joking, half
I still like the mac, just annoyed it broke on me

silverdreamer
13th December 2007, 08:24 AM
I was only joking, half
I still like the mac, just annoyed it broke on me

Don't give up on it, someone here may be able to help you fix it.

swaz
13th December 2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks :) I have two electritions in the family so someone should be able help me fix it. Thinking of just replacing the cables as there is nothing wrong with the LCD as such. Jiggling the cables does nothing for it, undone all the connections too and replugged to see if that worked.... nothing!

If I could afford a new Mac I wouldnt have bought an old one. But as a student I cant...

silverdreamer
13th December 2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks :) I have two electritions in the family so someone should be able help me fix it. Thinking of just replacing the cables as there is nothing wrong with the LCD as such. Jiggling the cables does nothing for it, undone all the connections too and replugged to see if that worked.... nothing!

If I could afford a new Mac I wouldnt have bought an old one. But as a student I cant...

Two Electricians in the family eh? You would think you would know how to spell it.:p

swaz
13th December 2007, 03:58 PM
meh, me dont care how to speel. Especially when im in a hurry

rocketxr
13th December 2007, 04:29 PM
Two Electricians in the family eh? You would think you would know how to spell it.:p

Now come on!!!
He did say he was a student......:)

swaz
13th December 2007, 06:54 PM
an education student at that
me teached good englihes