PDA

View Full Version : Email folders

RobD
2nd April 2004, 06:47 PM
I know this will seem a dumb question to all you tech-savvy dudes, but I can't find where my Mac stores emails. I've got a lot of them stored somewhere, and I want to back them up on a CD while I'm away for a while. I use an iMac combo drive, running OSX10.2.8, and I use Entourage for email. Where can I find the folder where mail (sent and received) is stored?

Most grateful for advice, either here or direct to me: robjld@homemail.com.au

Thanks.

Disko
2nd April 2004, 07:38 PM
Hey rob,

It's in your home directory, ~/Library/Mail

Backup everything in there. :)

And copy it back to restore it after a clean install.

the_argon
2nd April 2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Apr 2 2004, 07:08 PM
Hey rob,

It's in your home directory, ~/Library/Mail

Backup everything in there. :)

And copy it back to restore it after a clean install.
Wrong. That is for Mail only, Entorage keeps it's mail stored in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office X Identites.

Just copy the whole "Office X Identities" folder and you should be right.

FYI: This only backs up the messages, account settings are located elsewhere.

Disko
2nd April 2004, 08:19 PM
aaah. owned.

Didn't read the "entorage" bit. :/

If you're using Apple Mail - use the way i described though. :)

RobD
5th April 2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, especially the argon. I knew it was the right folder when it showed up as holding 30 megabytes - I said I was storing a few emails.

Rob

DJY
22nd June 2004, 09:50 PM
Anyone know of an easy way to export Contacts and emails out of Outlook into Mail and Address Book in my brand new very sexy shiny 17" Powerbook?

Am madly searching here and MacRumors for options.

hawker
22nd June 2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by RobD@Apr 5 2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, especially the argon. I knew it was the right folder when it showed up as holding 30 megabytes - I said I was storing a few emails.

Rob
a few? When you get to 300MB's call me :P

Currawong
23rd June 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by DJY@Jun 22 2004, 09:50 PM
Anyone know of an easy way to export Contacts and emails out of Outlook into Mail and Address Book in my brand new very sexy shiny 17" Powerbook?

Am madly searching here and MacRumors for options.
From memory, to get email out of Outlook and into Mail, you have to drag the email boxes out of Outlook and onto the desktop, then convert them with Emailchemy (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/8471) (unfortunately, not a free program).

russgra
1st August 2004, 11:10 PM
I literally spent tens of hours trying to do just that before spending US$10 on "outlook2Mac" from http://www.littlemachines.com/

I can say it is definately worth the money.

I only wish I had seen it when I first got my powerbook.