PDA

View Full Version : PDF generation color issues :(

Bexford
8th December 2007, 08:06 AM
Hi all....

I am having some major problems at the moment generating PDFs outta Freehand MX.

the colors are looking very very "flat" on the high-res PDF and persuading clients that all will be well is proving tricky! for instance - 100% black looks "greyish" and v dull - that should be razor sharp and deep black!

I always take my colors for print jobs from my Pantone reference guide (so they will be exactly as my guide displays when printed). Obviously, there will be variation as to how it looks on screen based on a number of things - but the PDFs are looking very different.

I have checked the settings and I am generating them as either press quality/and or high quality print but they're looking woeful! and clients are obviously concerned!!

any ideas guys??!

cheers
Bexford

**PS** have just done a straight "export to PDF" and this looks CONSIDERABLY better!

ozboi
8th December 2007, 11:04 AM
If you were printing to PDF instead of exporting, than the issue was probably that it was converting your Pantone colours to the closest CMYK or RGB it could come up with. Print to PDF is an OSX function and only tries to replicate what it sees on the screen.

Printing to PDF is fine for certain things, but not for graphic design purposes. Always use the export function of the program you're using if it's available -- not only will it export your colours as they're supposed to be, it also reduces the probability of colour profile issues.

bennettnz
8th December 2007, 11:18 AM
Adobe Acrobat has colour output options which you can change. I'm not at work so I can't remember where they are... perhaps look under advanced. These make a great deal of difference on how the job looks on screen and how it prints out.

Bexford
8th December 2007, 12:05 PM
Hi there

many thanks for the replies - and yes, was printing to PDF so thanks for the tip!

the issue I sometimes have had when doing a straight export to PDF has been one of positioning - and with bleeds, crops etc for print purposes it has to obviously be accurate...do you know of a way to counter that?

cheers!
Bex

Brains
8th December 2007, 12:28 PM
Use the full Acrobat (and its associated 'printer' driver), rather than Apple's print-to-PDF function. You'll get far greater precision and control.

ozboi
8th December 2007, 05:03 PM
Freehand should have settings for bleed and crop, etc, though it has been ages since I've used it. A quick Google search suggests the settings are found in your document panel.

Also as Brains suggests get the full Acrobat. Alternatively upgrade to Illustrator.

Aa
8th December 2007, 05:50 PM
In a hurry, so i've only glanced at this thread but check to see that Black is being displayed as rich black. You may need to add the other colours at 20% to achieve the rich black output you are looking for..