PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp woes

Pants!
7th December 2007, 12:53 PM
So I ran Bootcamp Assistant, made a 22GB FAT32 partition and ran the WinXP installer. It goes through normally, analysing the hardware and copying files, etc. Then it reboots as normal, but when it's supposed to start actually installing, it says "Disk error, press any key to reboot" (pressing any key doesn't reboot, I have to force it, but anyway).

It's not the disc's problem, as I've used it before. Has anyone else had this problem?

Wally
7th December 2007, 01:03 PM
Disc Error usually means hard disk error.

You'd be better off dumping the windows XP CD into an ISO and installing it through VMware or parellels using the bootcamp partition

Mac Ram
7th December 2007, 01:16 PM
There's a discussion over at macnn of people who had the same issues and appear to have overcome them - may help you

http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/352250/boot-camp-disk-error-press-any/

purana
7th December 2007, 01:47 PM
DO me a favour and confirm if you have the following file on the disk in question... it will be in the i386 directory and called "WINNT.sif"?

Pants!
7th December 2007, 10:40 PM
Oops. I did the same as the fellows in that thread, and Windows installed perfectly, but now when I boot it goes straight into XP, without even the option of using OS X. Did I screw something up?

:-\

Lutze
7th December 2007, 10:48 PM
I nearly jumped out of my skin with that one myself. You need to install BootCamp into XP - this gives the Windoze system an icon in the system tray that lets you boot to OSX. However if you can't get it to install (insert Leopard disk to do it) you can always change your boot drive by holding down the Option (or ALT) key on restart and this will give you an option on what system to boot.

Pants!
7th December 2007, 11:08 PM
Ah, that did the trick, thanks for that.