PDA

View Full Version : Im freaking out here ppl!

3dward_Shaddow
3rd March 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

Last night I was happily using my G4 powerbook and i deleted some large files I was working on (about 6GB) nothing wrong there. When I logged off it too ages for file vault to do its thing and shut the actual powerbook down.

Flash to tonight: I log on as perusual nothing wrong with the log in screen. When my desktop comes up its all mac default! I almost had a heart attack (thinking i'd lost all my work and programs!) however on inspection I see that it looks like a new default desktop has just been placed over my 'old' one.

If I go to my hard drive (called Mireille) and then the folder users my 'old' desktop and all my old documents, mp3s, movies etc are under a network icon labled "edward shaddow" which is my login.

1) what the hell happend and,
2) how do I get it all back?!

Any and all help would be appriciated, thanking you in advance :)

macmate
3rd March 2005, 10:36 PM
something in your users library folder has either become corrupt or its privledges have become corrupt.

i would be checking your logs to see if any errors occured with any files.

it could also be a directory issue. if this is the case then it could all become a bit tricky with file vault on. Therefore backup everthing you need. Then turn file vault off and run something like Diskwarrior on it to make sure you directrory structure is fine.

The issue with things like this is that its the little thing you notice while trying to troubleshoot are the things that give you the clues as to what has caused the issue.

try a few things. then give us some more info.

3dward_Shaddow
4th March 2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks Macmate, I'll try some things over the long weekend and let you know.

3dward_Shaddow
7th March 2005, 02:47 AM
ok, I tried a few repair things but didnt have the updated diskwarrior. However I did manage to find all my old files etc saved as a "sparseimage" file.
Now this mounts fine on my laptop all all my old files are safe and sound.
What I want to know is if I just cut and paste them back where they should be will this corrupt any thing?

Sorry for the questions but I only switched recently and unfortunatly know very little about macs. Up untill this point I was enjoying the switch, but if I get my files back safe and sound it will be all good.

Thanks guys

Jimbo
7th March 2005, 08:46 AM
your files are always safe and sound on the mac, i;d recommend just whacking em back where you found them... no harm in trying?

the_OM
7th March 2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Mar 7 2005, 08:46 AM
your files are always safe and sound on the mac.
No they're not. Back them up before trying to re-place them all.

macmate
7th March 2005, 09:11 AM
If you want, go to my website and grab my phone number. give me a call and i will walk you threw a few things. this will also help me get my head around whats actually going on.

Ric

3dward_Shaddow
7th March 2005, 08:45 PM
I just pasted them back where they should be and its running just fine (touch wood).
Thanks for the offer Ric, If it happens again I'll give you a call, but I think it might have been something with filevault and I've turned that off now, and backed everything up, just incase.
Thanks for all the help, Cheers guys.