PDA

View Full Version : Leopard server DHCP question - static ips

laprius
5th December 2007, 06:35 PM
Hey all (again), I don't know if this is a "feature" or just something that has never been the case with the DHCP server in OSX server.

I have tried assigning static ip's to the NICs on the server. Saves ok, restarts DHCP ok with the entries still in static maps, then I reboot the server to make sure everything takes alright, and when I go back into static maps, the entries I made for the server's NICs have disappeared but all other static assignments are ok.

so in the end I have just manually assigned them, but if I wanted to do that I wouldn't worry about deploying DHCP in my network would I? ;)

Anyone? :)

Lap

purana
5th December 2007, 06:49 PM
I think you'll find that YOU MUST manually assign the nics on the server who is acting as the DHCP server. It's probably cause networking starts up long before DHCP server does. So you'd have no chance to have the server hosting the DHCP service to have this start after networking (the server wouldn't be able to have DHCP start).

Manually assign the interface addresses on your server and then use static DHCP for all other hosts in the environment as needed.

laprius
5th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Yep assigned and all good...it stands to reason doesn't it :)

Thanks Purana muchly :)

purana
5th December 2007, 09:24 PM
Yep assigned and all good...it stands to reason doesn't it :)

If you tried to do the samething on a Linux system, it wouldn't work. As networking has to obviously come up before the DHCP services do, as they need something to bind to. Stands to reason it would be the same for OSX (and any other Unix operating system, not to mention Windows Server too).