PDA

View Full Version : Rural Jobs for Macs (Victoria)?

NORMANDY
5th December 2007, 05:47 PM
I am doing a study on what jobs people are doing in rural areas that use Macs.

So if any one out there is in a Rural area (especially Victoria) that uses Macs in their day to day job, then can you give please reply back in this forum, just basically telling where and what you do.

zen
5th December 2007, 06:05 PM
I guess I classify to be in a rural area (Shepparton, VIC)

Been converted since 2004 and has never looked back.

My folks run a photography studio up here, we shoot mainly weddings and portraiture. Running both Mac & Windows platform. However, majority of the workflow is now being taken care of on the Macs.

NORMANDY
5th December 2007, 06:23 PM
I guess I classify to be in a rural area (Shepparton, VIC)

Been converted since 2004 and has never looked back.

My folks run a photography studio up here, we shoot mainly weddings and portraiture. Running both Mac & Windows platform. However, majority of the workflow is now being taken care of on the Macs.

Cool, was just through Shepparton this week, nice place, I do like the Mountain areas better, ( I love mountain views, and trees to look at, anything away from the Rat Race of Melbourne is fine by me :)... and having my nearest neighbor 1KM or more away is paradise for me.. ( I grew up in regional areas of Vic and NSW, I am only in the city for work). but I digress..

My interest is based upon studies done in the UK where in Regional Ireland, many fellow colleagues like myself (video producers) have set up shop in regional Ireland, and are able to work remotely due to wonderful broadband support in regional ireland (and Government incentives), thus more and more enterprises that were once classed as city only jobs, are moving to regional areas, and the regional areas are the better for it, I would love it if such incentives were given here to do the same!

Thus my extra questions are this, what challenges do you face being in regional Victoria, (broadband infrastructure, and IT support / hardware software)?

NORMANDY
18th January 2008, 05:33 PM
so there is no one else in regional Areas of Australia that can contribute to this discussion? ( I guess the lack of broadband prevents them ;) )

Botox
18th January 2008, 05:48 PM
I'm a teacher and look after about 100 Macs (and about a dozen PCs) at a school in central Victoria.

Basically, I do all the software/hardware support, as well as educating staff in IT matters. Oh, and I also teach the kids!

Our internet connection is nothing to get excited about, but it is supposed to be improving soon.

If you would like more detailed or specific information about what I do, fee free to contact me personally, via email.

Cheers!

Geoff3DMN
18th January 2008, 06:37 PM
I run a regional bus company, I use a MacBook Pro as my portable and an iMac as my desktop on our small windows lan.

When I replace the company PC's at this depot in 12 months that small LAN will be changing from Dell (server and 4 pc's) to Xserve and 4 iMacs (at this depot).

The other depots will remain on Windows for a bit longer.

Basically I've been using OS X and introducing our office staff to it, and they are increasingly more comfortable with the idea of switching.

MYOB and Office run fine under OS X and those are the two most used apps.

Main reason? Vista is a pain (XP was ok).

corowakid
18th January 2008, 06:52 PM
I am doing a study on what jobs people are doing in rural areas that use Macs.

So if any one out there is in a Rural area (especially Victoria) that uses Macs in their day to day job, then can you give please reply back in this forum, just basically telling where and what you do.

I'm from Corowa, on the other bank from Rutherglen, Vic, so we might just qualify on the twin-towns concept along the Murray.

My doctor uses a 17" Macbook Pro for his records as part of a large practice in our town. He raves about it. Any other professionals use it?

Also, NSW Road & Traffic Authority offices are equipped with the 17" lampshade Macs; must of been a *really* big contract.

Wally
18th January 2008, 07:25 PM
I do PC support with my MacBook in the Gippsland Region (Mainly Latrobe Valley)

Does this mean we'll get an Mac Reseller down here soon? There's one but its an hour away.

entropy
18th January 2008, 08:05 PM
I have always thought a business that ported or wrote farm management software that worked on OS X would make a killing. There basically isn't any, but a lot of farmers have come to computing late in life and would benefit from using a mac.

NORMANDY
18th January 2008, 09:54 PM
I'm from Corowa, on the other bank from Rutherglen, Vic, so we might just qualify on the twin-towns concept along the Murray.

My doctor uses a 17" Macbook Pro for his records as part of a large practice in our town. He raves about it. Any other professionals use it?

Also, NSW Road & Traffic Authority offices are equipped with the 17" lampshade Macs; must of been a *really* big contract.

I use a 17inch MBP for my editing work out in the field.

Good responses so far .. keep them coming...