PDA

View Full Version : iCal Event Alarms

FineWine
5th December 2007, 01:36 AM
As most of you know I have recently switched. On my old PC I used an Event Reminder component of my 3rd partly Adddress Book program. This program is now defunct but it suited my purposes well. It grabbed all my address book birthdays etc., plus you could enter in once only or other reoccurring events (eg. once only party invite or monthly cat worming). Then when I switched on my PC up popped the Event Reminder showing the next 7 days of events.

Can iCal do the same. I know it grabs all the main birthdays from each AB card and I can enter in other once off and other reoccurring events into iCal. But what I would like to happen is that when I awake my iMac from sleep or switch back on, it brings up on screen the pertinent events for the next 7 days (or shorter/longer time frame per event).

Also I found that it only grabs the birthday of the card name. Not any other birthdays or anniversary dates (custom dates) entered into that card. e.g. In my brothers card, I have his birthday in the pre-set entry, but I have also entered his spouse name and her birthday and their anniversary date plus his children's names and their birthdays but it only grabs my brothers birth date.

Advice Please.

Aa
5th December 2007, 07:52 AM
Interesting.

You could start by setting up a calendar for "Announcements" or somesuch, and set everything in there (i assume you don't have hundreds). Then look at one of the many "to do" lists, mini calendar apps or widgets that can read a specific calendar from ical.

Perhaps automator can help also...

Not the answer you are looking for, but you're missing a specific app with it's specific functions (like missing the windows taskbar) so you ight need to be a bit flexible and find a different but equally effective approach to fulfill your needs.

scokim
5th December 2007, 09:30 AM
Then when I switched on my PC up popped the Event Reminder showing the next 7 days of events.

Can iCal do the same. I know it grabs all the main birthdays from each AB card and I can enter in other once off and other reoccurring events into iCal. But what I would like to happen is that when I awake my iMac from sleep or switch back on, it brings up on screen the pertinent events for the next 7 days (or shorter/longer time frame per event).

Stattoo or Growl is useful as HUD (Head-Up Display) for this purpose.