PDA

View Full Version : Web/Graphic Developers Wanted

adamjc
3rd March 2005, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm about to launch a new website but need a bit of help with logos etc. I have NO photoshop or anything like that and need a logo that says "My Lifestyle Change"

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. The new site will be at www.mylifestylechange.com and all about everyday issues, and how we can live life better etc. Will have a page for visitors to submit their story, on issues they have had and how they have overcome them.

Any suggestions and help as said above would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam.

konni
3rd March 2005, 03:02 PM
ummm.... and what does the lucky winner get in return?

I have 15 students at the mo learning Logo design - I'll check this tomorrow and see if you've been fixed up.

964RSCS
3rd March 2005, 03:16 PM
Sounds like an interesting site, let us know when it's up and running!!

Konni's students would probably be the go for the logo design imo...

hawker
3rd March 2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by konni@Mar 3 2005, 03:02 PM
I have 15 students at the mo learning Logo design - I'll check this tomorrow and see if you've been fixed up.
class project konni? Pull it apart and build it together :P

adamjc
3rd March 2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for you comments...especially konni.

Im open to any suggestions as the site it self is in early stages of development.

Thanks again,

Adam.

konni
3rd March 2005, 09:40 PM
I suppose it's lazy teaching... they might glare at me... or not.

hawker
3rd March 2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by konni@Mar 3 2005, 09:40 PM
I suppose it's lazy teaching... they might glare at me... or not.
I like to work on things that are going to get "used" rather than just a pratical test. Why do a test when you can do the real thing.

It is also a great feeling to know something you worked on is being used, rather than a file on your computer that you look at every now and again ;)

Mohawk
3rd March 2005, 10:13 PM
I've got Certificate 4 in Multimedia and am currently doing my second year in Graphic Arts and
I would love to help you... but at the moment I'm filled over with work (which might clear up). I know some people at my TAFE who might be interested (probably for free cause they are building folios- like me)

If you wanted to give more details about what your looking for and more specifically the content, I could spread the word at my course or maybe even squeeze you in myself

adamjc
4th March 2005, 08:00 AM
The support here is overwhelming! Thanks all.

Content: The site needs to have a fresh look, something you look at and it just makes you feel good.

It's all going to be about the regular visitors, we are hoping on having a member section on the site so that to access some parts of the site you need to register, this will allow us to update members on new stories etc.

The type of information we are going to have on the site is all about dealing with the daily issues of life: Stress, Depression, Family, Friends, Work Problems, Weight Problems etc.

We are hoping that most stories we receive will be from visitors to the site, and then with their permission publish them on our site. Visitors can remain anonymous if they like.

We are currently researching at the moment to get a group of information/stories and resources available for launch.

Any ideas or feedback let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.

hawker
4th March 2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by adamjc@Mar 4 2005, 08:00 AM
Content: The site needs to have a fresh look, something you look at and it just makes you feel good.

Is this site going to be back ended up a content managment system?

InfiniteAnthony
4th March 2005, 08:27 AM
My 2 cents

Great idea for a website, also have you looked at affiliate links for the site, self help pays well if setup correctly. It will motivate you to keep the site updated if it won't cost you money.

I just setup this site for a client of mine, http://www.mappingyoursuccess.com.au/

hawker
4th March 2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Xedos@Mar 4 2005, 08:27 AM
Great idea for a website, also have you looked at affiliate links for the site, self help pays well if setup correctly. It will motivate you to keep the site updated if it won't cost you money.
Research is a given when launching a new site that is heading into something that needs to be marketed etc.

adamjc
6th March 2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks all,

Looking into the entire set up at the moment.

Will keep you updated.

Might need some help with webdesign, Xedos how much would you charge for a site like http://www.mappingyoursuccess.com.au/

Thanks

geektechnu
6th March 2005, 11:14 AM
Hi Adam,

Your post just caught my eye. Thought I'd offer my webdesign services if required.
I'm currently teaching multimedia 3 days a week, so that leaves me with a couple of days per week to fill.

Are you after a mostly static pages, or dynamic content? What kind of deadline?
I'm currently working on my own content management system, and would love a "volunteer" for live testing. It's PHP-based with data stored in XML, so no need to pay for database hosting. Should be suitable for small to mid-sized sites.

My work is 100% hand-coded for standards compliance. I'm pretty much just looking for a real site with real content to develop my CMS around.

Interested?

adamjc
7th March 2005, 09:48 AM
I am 100% interested geektechnu.

Im looking at mostly dynamic pages, that can be updated easily.

At the moment we need a welcome/coming soon page, if you visit www.mylifestylechange.com you see what we have at the moment....not too exciting!

My email is adam_j_adam@msn.com thanks a lot.

Adam

InfiniteAnthony
7th March 2005, 10:41 AM
Adamjc I have pm'd you the cost of the site as due to client privacy I would prefer not to disclose the price publicly.

Unfortunately we aren't the cheapest around but we do offer a whole service including search marketing and on request xhtml compliancy.

adamjc
4th April 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi All,

I ended up buying a cheap template from templatemonster.com and I can customise it ok except for the flash image.

www.mylifestylechange.com Ive just put in some text to fill it up a bit for now but I need help with the flash and once you all head onto the site you will understand why!

Any help on changing the main image in the flash object would be a great help! I have no idea how to use flash!

Thanks!

BiRDBRAiN
4th April 2005, 10:55 AM
Does it come with the FLA file?

PM me if you would like a quote on some quick flash mods.

Paxton
4th April 2005, 11:48 AM
I have just noticed that this Thread is in the wrong spot. It needs to be in the 'Creative Mac' Forum.

*Moved*

konni
4th April 2005, 09:29 PM
I fixed up a 'template monster' flash navigation for a client a couple of months ago. It was a monster. File size was huge for what it did. Your one at least looks less complex.

geektechnu
4th April 2005, 10:54 PM
The template looks nice and simple - I quite like it. The colours are really nice. You mentioned dynamic "user-posted" content earlier - I hope you've sorted out some way of shunting content into the template.

As for the Flash header, if it comes with an FLA source file customisation is fairly easy. The Flash header doesn't seem to do much tho - yet it takes a few seconds to load. 167kb = 24+ seconds at best on dialup (I'm on DSL, but I worry for the target audience).

I would consider re-doing the header using images - the only loss would be some of the subtle animation. Loading times would be better - also people without the Flash plugin will be able to see the header too.

Or - get someone to rebuild the header from scratch. Any good Flash developer should be able to recreate this with a smaller filesize.

Either way, I again offer my services in Photoshop/Flash at the new discounted price of *$free* - for the greater good of the site.

BiRDBRAiN
4th April 2005, 11:04 PM
free LOL thats a good discount :P

I'm afraid I can't compete with that :lol:

konni
7th April 2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by geektechnu@Apr 4 2005, 10:54 PM
As for the Flash header, if it comes with an FLA source file customisation is fairly easy. The Flash header doesn't seem to do much tho - yet it takes a few seconds to load. 167kb = 24+ seconds at best on dialup (I'm on DSL, but I worry for the target audience).

I would consider re-doing the header using images - the only loss would be some of the subtle animation. Loading times would be better - also people without the Flash plugin will be able to see the header too.
The one I pulled apart was 844kb for the .swf. It had a gazillion almost identical image layers to simulate a water ripple - nonfunctional eye candy IMHO. Good idea Geektechnu - to take most of it out of flash. Template Monster usually make the navigation bar a separate .swf file to the banner anyway. BTW - how far do you stretch your discount - the greater good of which kind of sites?

geektechnu
7th April 2005, 10:52 AM
konni
Oh yeah... that "discount" :lol:
I currently work a few days a week, so while cash isn't a big issue, I do have a few days during the week where I pretty much just bum around and do portfolio stuff.

If anyone missed this thread, my current project is here: LHA iTunes Skin (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6196)

I figure there are cases where perfectly worthy sites make *almost fatal* mistakes in terms of visual/technical design. If the problem would probably take less than a day to fix, why not offer? I'm pretty much sitting around in Photoshop all day anyway.

If a site has a commercial purpose, that's obviously a completely different matter.
But, as I said, money's not tight at the moment & I definitely have the free time...