PDA

View Full Version : iBook graphics card

forno
3rd March 2005, 01:37 PM
Can the graphics card on a new 1.33 14' iBook be upgraded to something like the Powerbook units and will this enable higher resolution on the LCD screen?

iSlayer
3rd March 2005, 01:41 PM
nope it cant

forno
3rd March 2005, 02:44 PM
:(

Disko
3rd March 2005, 02:50 PM
grippon - are you meaning a video card update? or would you just like the external monitor to display a higher res?

there is a spanning hack available. i've pinned a thread on it to the top of the hardware forum.

Phillip
3rd March 2005, 03:55 PM
You can extend you desktop and get more pixels from the iBook by going to this site :)
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

geektechnu
3rd March 2005, 04:18 PM
You can't upgrade the iBook video card.

The current video card does support higher resolutions - for external monitors.
If you want this, then you need the spanning hack.

You can't force an LCD display to display a higer resolution than what it's designed for. Lower resolutions are interpolated (resized) to fit the screen (with blurry resolutions). iBook's internal LCD is already running at it's optimal res.

So if you're asking about pushing up the res on the iBook's screen, it can't be done. You'd have to totally replace the screen.

If you just want to drive an external display at higher res, the spanning hack is what you want.

Ozi
3rd March 2005, 04:56 PM
hmmm can you upgrade the powerbook video card?

Phillip
3rd March 2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Mar 3 2005, 05:56 PM
hmmm can you upgrade the powerbook video card?
No. All notebooks (that I know of) has the graphics built on to the logic board. It saves space and possibly money as well.

forno
4th March 2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was reading the thread about the sys reqs for Tiger and the iBook card isnt supported???? Reading further I see that the CPU will complete tasks that Tiger should allocate to the GPU and there will be a slight drop in speed and graphics performance

My other concerns (spanning and external monitor resolution) have been answered :D