PDA

View Full Version : Finally Switched

FineWine
30th November 2007, 01:10 AM
After talking about it for months I have finally switched. :D

Since 1985 I have been a PC user, building all but my first one. After years of forking $$$$$ for M$ compatible software, then keeping it updated/upgraded and then having to keep the machines running smoothly (not an easy task) I got sick of it all. Though I am keeping my current two monitored PC, which I will network with the Mac, I will let it die a natural death.

Anyway on to the happy occasion. I actually got two machines, one for myself and one for my work girlfriend. Before I tell you what I got, some well earned praise were praise is due. I emailed out three quotes. Two replied, one didn't (Academy) In the end I chose Mac Centre (http://www.maccentre.com.au/)Albion St, Sydney for several reasons; price, location and informational pre sale service (email, phone & face to face) More about their service at the end.

I Bought
two iMac 24" 2.4Gb (2Gb RAM & 4Gb RAM)
two Wireless mighty mouse
two applecare
two iWork '08
two Lacie Extreme BigDisk 1Tb (triple interface) external drives
one Epson Stylus RX690 MFCNow more about the excellent service from Mac Center.

I sent the quotes out on Tuesday, they replied the same day. I also went and saw them that afternoon for an eye ball check out. Late afternoon that day I emailed them my orders. Late Thursday afternoon I took delivery of everything except the two Lacie external drives which should be in on Monday or Tuesday next week.

In my purchase order email I asked if it would be possible to carry out the following:
If Leopard is not already installed please install Leopard and if possible all updates on both machines
Install only Australian English languages on both machines
Install Epson RX510 drivers on one machine and Epson RX690 drivers on the other only
Install the two 2Gb RAM sticks on one machine and install the left over 1Gb RAM stick in the other machine for a total of 2Gb in that machine
Install iWorks '08 on both machines
Ensure that MS Office Trial is not installed on either machineAll of the above instructions were carried out flawlessly without additional cost. The staff at Mac Center are tops in my book :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My next task is to network the iMac with the PC (via modem/router or direct firewire, haven't decided yet the best way to go with this) and shift over My Documents, my photo's and iTunes.

Anyway so far after six hours of playing and installing Firefox and moving over the PC Firefox profile, I still have a learning curve. I have lots of Apple bookmarks and of course I have this great forum. Oh and I have to deliver and set up my work girlfriends machine and RX690 printer. I will be posting a pic of my entire set-up shortly. Just let me get to grip with things first.

Squozen
30th November 2007, 05:22 AM
Congrats, and I'd recommend using ethernet for your networking. :)

Mac Ram
30th November 2007, 07:03 AM
Well done mate. Good to hear about good service also.

You did your homework though didn't you, a member since Aug 2005 and switched Nov 2007....nothing like being cautious ;)

stewiesno1
30th November 2007, 08:45 AM
Like anything , it pays to do your homework MacRam which he has obviously done.
Congrats on your new purchases and also good to see an Apple reseller getting a plug for good service.

Stewie

silverdreamer
30th November 2007, 09:54 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Mac. Stick with Firefox if it's comfortable, but I would recommend slowly switching to Safari, it's a better browser in my opinion.

If you have any problems or need help, just ask here, you know where all keen to help where we can.:cool:

andrew.wilson
30th November 2007, 06:29 PM
Finally! Congrats mate! I know how excited about this you have been...your gonna love it :D

Robb
30th November 2007, 06:36 PM
Welcome mate just changed over from pc to Mac three months ago and I'm rapt.

Rasta
30th November 2007, 07:24 PM
I Bought
two iMac 24" 2.4Gb (2Gb RAM & 4Gb RAM)
two Wireless mighty mouse
two applecare
two iWork '08
two Lacie Extreme BigDisk 1Tb (triple interface) external drives
one Epson Stylus RX690 MFC

Sheeeet! You don't muck about and do things by halves do you?? :)

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of macs and a new beginning...
:thumbup:

FineWine
30th November 2007, 07:31 PM
Well I have spent all day trying to network the iMac with the PC via the Belkin modem/router. After lots googling I still could not get it to work-gave up.:mad:

Did manage to bring across my iTunes library via iTunes backup disk and copying across the Library.itl file. Now I have to bring across my non standard album artwork (only a small number)

Managed to import my Thunerbird address book and my 3rd party main address book (sort of) using a program called "Address Book Importer (http://homepage.mac.com/sroy/addressbookimporter/)" but lots of duplicates and it reset all the dates to the 1st Jan 2007. Oh well nothings perfect.

Now just have to set up all my mail boxes and just forward the important saved PC Thunderbird ones. Then selectively bring across the stuff I want from PC My Docs and My Media via DVD data disk. It was all due for a good spring clean. :)

I will soldier on

BrettJohn
1st December 2007, 06:38 PM
to network a pc i have here with my MacBook Pro running Leopard i just made a shared folder on the windows xp machine. then when i open finder and choose the pc from the Shared list it automatically finds the shared folder for me and i dump whatever i need to in there

all done via Airport Express
can't complain about it at all. very easy to set up too :thumbup:

MrJesseRoss
1st December 2007, 06:47 PM
That's damn good service. Also a damn good purchase. Massive envy here.

applecollector
1st December 2007, 08:32 PM
On behalf of Mac Centre (http://www.maccentre.com.au)
Thank you very much for the nice comments FineWine.
I hope you enjoy your new mac.
Should you have any problems feel free to call up and we would be more then happy to help.
Regards
Sylvester

FineWine
1st December 2007, 11:05 PM
to network a pc i have here with my MacBook Pro running Leopard i just made a shared folder on the windows xp machine. then when i open finder and choose the pc from the Shared list it automatically finds the shared folder for me and i dump whatever i need to in there

all done via Airport Express
can't complain about it at all. very easy to set up too :thumbup:

The trouble is that it is not showing up in Finder even though I have created the Shared folder. Neither machine responds to pings in either direction using the modem/router assigned addresses.

So I am now just using DVD's data disks.

jubilantjeremy
1st December 2007, 11:40 PM
The trouble is that it is not showing up in Finder even though I have created the Shared folder. Neither machine responds to pings in either direction using the modem/router assigned addresses.

So I am now just using DVD's data disks.

Ahh, you've rodgered something while setting up :)

All machines can browse the 'net, then? And they're all set to DHCP? If it was just XP not responding to pings, I'd say there's the problem - and that you need to disable the firewall etc.

It sounds like there might be a setting in your router, perhaps for a VLAN or to isolate all the clients from each other. They're all plugged into the same router, aren't they?

Lastly, all machines are on the same subnet etc?

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, open Terminal.app (on both the macs) and type ifconfig, then paste the results in here. On the XP machine, click Start, Click Run, Type cmd and then type ipconfig, then paste those results in here too. That'll let the nerdiest among us know what's up.

I reckon you can also start a new thread about importing your thunderbird emails and contacts, and do it again properly - the thunderbird data stuff should be cross platform..

Jeremy

Edit :

Try this. In Finder, kit Apple+K and then type in :

smb://192.168.1.2

where 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of the PC...

That should show you if there are any windows shares available from that machine. You will probably need to authenticate with a user/pass from the PC, or just use Administrator/(blank).

TheKeddi
2nd December 2007, 07:34 AM
Another switcher! woowoo!! There seem to be more and more these days, which is great!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac!

Ohh and do you have a work girlfriend and a home one or something??? Just that you call her your WORK girlfriend. hehehehehe

stewiesno1
2nd December 2007, 07:42 AM
Stick with Firefox if it's comfortable, but I would recommend slowly switching to Safari, it's a better browser in my opinion.

I don't know about Safari being a better browser SilverDreamer. I switched to Firefox because Safari was too slow and would not open some sites. Firefox loads on startup a tad quicker but switching from site to site is way faster.
This is on a Sawtooth with 10.2 so maybe my machine is a tad underpowered for Safari.

Stewie

FineWine
2nd December 2007, 10:48 AM
Another switcher! woowoo!! There seem to be more and more these days, which is great!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac!

Ohh and do you have a work girlfriend and a home one or something??? Just that you call her your WORK girlfriend. hehehehehe

:) She is a work colleague, female and a good friend. I have been servicing her PC's for years and like me is feed up with them and M$. And, yes, I have a partner at home who just wants a machine that works.

Linux_insidev2
2nd December 2007, 10:59 AM
Excellent service, and excellent purchase!

Welcome to the family.

FineWine
2nd December 2007, 01:15 PM
Ahh, you've rodgered something while setting up :)

All machines can browse the 'net, then? And they're all set to DHCP? If it was just XP not responding to pings, I'd say there's the problem - and that you need to disable the firewall etc.

It sounds like there might be a setting in your router, perhaps for a VLAN or to isolate all the clients from each other. They're all plugged into the same router, aren't they?

Lastly, all machines are on the same subnet etc?

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, open Terminal.app (on both the macs) and type ifconfig, then paste the results in here. On the XP machine, click Start, Click Run, Type cmd and then type ipconfig, then paste those results in here too. That'll let the nerdiest among us know what's up.

I reckon you can also start a new thread about importing your thunderbird emails and contacts, and do it again properly - the thunderbird data stuff should be cross platform..

Jeremy

Edit :

Try this. In Finder, kit Apple+K and then type in :
smb://192.168.1.2
where 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of the PC...

That should show you if there are any windows shares available from that machine. You will probably need to authenticate with a user/pass from the PC, or just use Administrator/(blank).

Thanks. He is the info:

Belkin Broadband Voice Modem/Router - 4 Port Part # F1PI241ENau
iMac plugged into LAN 1 & PC plugged into LAN 2 (both can access the internet together)
iMac 10.5.1
XP Pro sp 2

iMac ifconfig:

****-********-imac:~ ***********$ ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21b:63ff:fead:8395%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 10.1.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.1.1.255
ether 00:1b:63:ad:83:95
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
lladdr 00:1d:4f:ff:fe:69:ac:e2
media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1c:b3:75:fc:f8
media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
supported media: autoselect

In the iMac Sharing Panel: File Sharing is ON (this is the only ticked box) and has IP address of smb://10.1.1.2 with my name in the Shared Folders and Users with read & write access.
In the iMac Security panel: "Allow only essential services" is ticked and "File Sharing (SMB)" appears in the below panel. DHCP is enabled in TCP/IP, DNS Server is 10.1.1.1 within WINS, NetBIOS is currently used, Workgroup and WINS Server is blank.

PC ipconfig

Ethernet adapter LAN
Connection-specific DNS suffix: blank
IP address: 10.1.1.4
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 10.1.1.1

Ethernet adapter Network bridge
Connection-specific DNS suffix: blank
IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: blank

In the PC's Network Connections panel: LAN is Connected and shared with no firewall and my Network Bridge's are connected. (norton and windows firewalls are disabled)
DHCP enabled. File & Printer sharing is enabled. My Documents (on D: drive partition) and My Media (on E: drive partition) appear in "My Network Places" My windows Workgroup has a name.

Modem status:

INTERNET
ADSL: CONNECTED
Mode: G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Upload: 883 Kbps.
Download: 20759 Kbps.
UPTIME: 0:05:33:13
WAN IP: 124.170.245.227
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Gateway: 203.55.231.88
Primary DNS: 203.0.178.191
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

GATEWAY
IP Address: 10.1.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Firewall: Enabled

INFORMATION
Numbers of DHCP Clients: 2
Runtime Code Version:
0.41 (Apr 24 2007 19:01:26)
Boot Code Version: 0.68.3
ADSL Modem Code Version: 07.00.04.00A+
LAN MAC Address: 00-12-BF-12-A5-08
WAN MAC Address: 00-12-BF-12-A5-09
Hardware Version: 01
Serial Num: J543008737

FineWine
13th December 2007, 03:02 PM
Ok as promised here is my setup

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8787/dsc01653jq7.th.jpg (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/%5BURL=http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01653jq7.jpg%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8787/dsc01653jq7.th.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D)

IMat
28th December 2007, 10:12 PM
Great Setup Finewine...wish mine was half as tidy as that :cool:

I wont have any option though as that was half the deal for getting my wife to agree to our new IMAC 24" (on order)... less clutter :p

IMat
28th December 2007, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=FineWine;411458]Ok as promised here is my setup

Great Setup Finewine...wish mine was half as tidy as that :cool:

I wont have any option though as that was part of the deal for getting my wife to agree to our new IMAC 24" (on order)... less clutter :p

DavyG
28th December 2007, 10:23 PM
You just gave me a design idea for my desk: Hide all the cables under the desk! I buy a bigger corner desktop then I go through a mass rewiring. Thanks, FineWine, always good to look at other people's setups. :)
Here's a pic:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/DavyGT/desktop.jpg

FineWine
29th December 2007, 09:12 AM
You just gave me a design idea for my desk: Hide all the cables under the desk! I buy a bigger corner desktop then I go through a mass rewiring. Thanks, FineWine, always good to look at other people's setups. :)

All the cabling runs through cable channel organisers attached under the back edge with spike arrested power boards attached under the table. He is a pic we took the day we redid it all to accommodate the iMac. We also had the table custom made to fit in the office as well as to take all the stuff.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1811/dsc01649ki0.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01649ki0.jpg)