PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell SUPER UPGRADE

applecollector
2nd March 2005, 05:14 PM
OK as everyone knows i have a Clamshell iBook which i like alot, and this is what i want to do to it, Max Ram, Max HDD, i would like to know where i can get this done in Sydney and for how much?
Thanks

Oh yea when i buy the new HDD i need my stuff to be moved on to the new HDD!
And where can a buy an Airport card for it Used?

Phillip
2nd March 2005, 05:38 PM
The Max RAm for the clamshell iBooks is 576 MB. The 512 MB for notebooks these days are quite cheap possible around $150- $200. HDD I think would be 100 GB if it uses the normal 2.5" HDD. These cost a heck of a lot thou. The original Airport Cards now go for up to $180 I think.

I think it would be economical wise to invest in something new, however, it depends on how much you love the iBook. ;)

noisypoppy
2nd March 2005, 05:40 PM
I'm typing this on a clamshell using an airport card purchased last week on ebay for $110AU
buy from US on ebay

applecollector
2nd March 2005, 05:49 PM
Where can i get all of this installed???

applecollector
2nd March 2005, 05:51 PM
Don't worry hijack all u want!

kim jong il
2nd March 2005, 06:09 PM
These people (http://www.ittools.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=412) in Sydney sell airport cards new (with warranty) for $160. They used to sell them for $110 but wised up in light of the prices they were commanding on ebay. Installing an airport card should be easy as they are generally considered a user installable part.

macropus
2nd March 2005, 07:55 PM
How to change iBook Clamshell HD http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html
,not for the fainthearted.

Edge
2nd March 2005, 09:23 PM
This has been covered before, but hard drive replacement in the clamshell iBook is not straightforward, but is achievable as long as you are thorough. I recently took apart my entire clamshell, including the screen and hinges, and was able to put it back together.

You need a 2.5" HD that is up to ~9.5mm high. Any higher than that and the top plate of the iBook and the keyboard bulge and do not sit right. My 30GB drive from my TiBook only just fits. My 80GB drive was too high.

Airport and RAM are really easy. You need to remove the keyboard for the Airport crad, and two further screws for the RAM.Two minute job.

noisypoppy
2nd March 2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Mar 2 2005, 05:47 PM
How much did it cost to ship the Card?

(sorry for hijacking your thread, applecollector)
I think something like AU$10...I can't remember
the total price including shipping was US$90
but it differs from person to person, some people are out to make money off the shipping costs...quite annoying

Rayd
2nd March 2005, 10:10 PM
hey, if you really want a super clamshell, do a transplant... iBook g4 into clamshell! that will be a sweet upgrade!

also just a footnote: (hehe dobbing on someone is fun :P ) noisypoppy has a GIF as avatar! why can i have one! :D

suryo
3rd March 2005, 12:18 AM
Just do it all yourself. It will cost a fortune to get it done at a service centre. Besides - you can overclock it while you're in there. Why not go all the way and get a combo drive off ebay and put that in. Pretty much anything will work if you hack a driver for it. So the shopping list goes:

The Hitachi 60GB hard drive currently on eBay (ends on 06/03) for $150 ($135+post)
512MB RAM for around $150
A combo drive out of some DELL or Compaq for around $80
An airport card - say $130

Total = $510 plus the value of your stock iBook

And you have a clamshell 544/60/combo for around $700! Ouch!

Time to re-evaluate?

Maybe just get an old 20GB drive for 50 bucks, get 256 or 512 of RAM and overclock it. Wait until the opportunity to get an airport card and a combo drive cheaply off ebay or out of the paper presents itself.

kim jong il
3rd March 2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Mar 2 2005, 11:10 PM
snip

also just a footnote: (hehe dobbing on someone is fun :P ) noisypoppy has a GIF as avatar! why can i have one! :D
There is a difference. noisypoppys avatar, while animated, does not draw your eyes away from the text and, unlike yours, is not insanely distracting.

noisypoppy
3rd March 2005, 09:51 AM
woof! :D

applecollector
3rd March 2005, 02:56 PM
I would do it my self i just can't undo the keyboard i can't take it apart :(
I can't do it myself! :(

applecollector
3rd March 2005, 05:19 PM
I would do it myself but i can't undo the keyboard, and i don't want to break it! :(

helloroto
3rd March 2005, 06:25 PM
there are 2 tabs like things between the F1 + F2 keys, and F11 and F12 keys, these u pull back and lift up the keyboard, and there is your access to ram and airport

noisypoppy
3rd March 2005, 06:56 PM
I'd do it for you, but if I have to sit there and take apart yet another clamshell, sit there for an hour putting the bastard back together and end up with 3 left over screws...I'll topple myself :D

applecollector
4th March 2005, 07:28 AM
Yea ,thats what i mean it can't take it apart, it looks like in the middle of the keyboard something is holding it.
don't don't know :( all i can say is if will not come apart and i don't want to break it!

noisypoppy
4th March 2005, 07:31 AM
as soon as you pull the tabs back the keyboard should lift up that's the easy part for access to airport/RAM
as far as the hard drive is concerned...that's where the pain in the ass work comes about

applecollector
4th March 2005, 03:44 PM
What i'm trying to say is that i can't lift it at all!

LCGuy
4th March 2005, 04:05 PM
Don't the clamshells have like, a tiny little screw securing the keyboard to the frame? I thought i remember reading somewhere that there is, for schools and such to use as a security feature to prevent kids from opening them.

suryo
4th March 2005, 08:12 PM
There is no screw holding the keyboard of my iBook down, indeed there doesn't even seem to be a screw hole. If the back of the keyboard won't lift up after releasing the two tabs it may be stuck on something or wedged in. This has happened to me before. Try to free it up by gently prying around the top and side edges. Notice that the emphasis is on "gently" here.

LCGuy
4th March 2005, 11:45 PM
There should be...you have a clamshell, right? I think its near the F8 key. Either way, its tiny.

dingl
5th March 2005, 12:20 AM
well heres a good step by step illiustrated guide... http://pbfixit.com/Guide/49.13.0.html

suryo
5th March 2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Mar 4 2005, 11:45 PM
There should be...you have a clamshell, right? I think its near the F8 key. Either way, its tiny.
I do have a clamshell and have ripped it open for various enhancements on numerous occasions. Never have I seen or heard of the keyboard locking screw - although the article linked to above does mention it. I wonder where it is.

EDIT: Splleing :rolleyes:

applecollector
5th March 2005, 07:45 AM
It looks like something is holding it in the middle, i have tried on several times to open it and in the process i have broken ok several keys (which i could repair) and still no use! :(

LCGuy
5th March 2005, 08:01 AM
Quote from the page that dingl posted:

If the keyboard does not come free, use a small flathead screwdriver to turn the keyboard locking screw 180 degrees in either direction and try again.

applecollector
5th March 2005, 08:13 AM
GOT IT!!!!

You know what it was, between F4 & F5 their is a light if yoiu take the cover off that light their is a little plastic thing thats slides into the 3rd lock (which most people don't use) anyway point is that without all of your help i would have been able to do it! oh and yea i believe that this was a school's computer!

tous-les-ex
6th December 2005, 08:41 AM
Hitachi 7k60 60Go 7200 rpm goes very well on my ibook 466 se..
jb