PDA

View Full Version : Is it 10.4.11 or is it Macrot?

iPirate
28th November 2007, 04:34 PM
Every now and then when I boot up into OS X (10.4.11) I have things missing from the menu bar, and the positioning of those remaining rearranged.

For example, I normally have (from left to right) Desktop Manager*, Backlight*, Google Notifier*, iChat, VPN, Bluetooth, Airport, Sound, Battery, Time and Spotlight. * = 3rd Party.

But from time to time, I finish a reboot to find the 3rd party ones, Airport, Sound, Battery, Bluetooth, Spotlight. The ones missing are: iChat ,VPN and the Time, and Bluetooth has moved.

I am not entirely sure if this happens more frequently after having booted into Windows but I do think that this shouldn't happen regardless of what you have been doing involving other partitions of the Hard Drive (I have not installed anything letting Windows read my precious HFS+ Partition).

I go into iChat, Internet Connect and System Prefs and all the missing things are unticked (kinda like a symptom of Winrot in Windows... except this is OS X... it should be perfect... right?

I have repaired permissions, run a Hardware test and repaired a Hard Drive that didn't fail verification in the first place.

Does anyone have any clues as to why my Mac is doing this?

Disko
28th November 2007, 04:37 PM
They're in the order that they load at startup.

So if iChat's agent fires up slower than Google Notifier, then it'll sit after Google Notifier.

First come, first served to the right end of the menu bar. ;)

iPirate
28th November 2007, 04:39 PM
So why don't some load at all? Even after I fire up iChat the icon doesn't appear in the menu bar.

Edit: Talking about things going wrong... now I can't delete a VPN config from the top part of the Internet Connect Window... this is getting weird.

Macyoshary
28th November 2007, 06:00 PM
My bluetooth icon moves sometimes

Currawong
28th November 2007, 08:00 PM
There's no such thing as "Macrot". The right hand side of the menu bar is controlled by an application called "SystemUIServer". Apple doesn't support the installation of anything 3rd party into it whatsoever. Anything 3rd party in there has been installed via a hack.

You can delete the preferences for the SystemUIServer in /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences and everything will be reset.

iPirate
28th November 2007, 08:41 PM
There's no such thing as "Macrot"

I know but the problems are reminiscent of Winrot so I thought it would be the best short description of the symptoms.

The right hand side of the menu bar is controlled by an application called "SystemUIServer". Apple doesn't support the installation of anything 3rd party into it whatsoever. Anything 3rd party in there has been installed via a hack.

Well SystemUIServer has been a bit problematic on me... it's displayed the occasional "Suddenly Quit" notice. As for the second part... huh? I've had quite a few things live up there.

http://www.autopack.com/nate/MacTalkAU/menubar28-11-07.png

You can delete the preferences for the SystemUIServer in /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences and everything will be reset.

I deleted three of those, two having some weird string of numbers in the name (between the "systemuiserver." and the ".plist "

Ok now I have this:

http://www.autopack.com/nate/MacTalkAU/menubar2_28-11-07.png

I haven't seen some of those for ages I forgot I set them to be put up there, so thanks a bunch :thumbup: iChat's thingy has disappeared but that doesn't feel so much of a biggie any more.

Currawong
28th November 2007, 10:39 PM
Maybe I should have been more clear - programs that install things into the Menu bar do so via some software trickery to get around the Apple software that prevents anything being added.