PDA

View Full Version : Safari text not sharp/crisp?

Chrisflyer
28th November 2007, 12:45 PM
Friends,

I notice when comparing Safari loaded web pages against Internet Explorer pages that the text is not as sharp/crisp in Safari as it is in Internet Explorer?

Safari web text seems a little smudged or blocky and not sharp/bold as in Internet Explorer?

It also appears to be a little larger and sometimes not correctly placed?

Appreciate your feedback.

jubilantjeremy
28th November 2007, 12:48 PM
I think you need to go to System Prefs > Appearance, and change the font smoothing (antialiasing) options. Are you using an LCD or CRT?

Jeremy

f1_power
28th November 2007, 12:56 PM
By the way when you mention IE - do you mean in Windows?

Try changing the default font for Safari inside its Preferences.

Chrisflyer
28th November 2007, 01:46 PM
Using a MacBook Pro.

IE in Windows.

forgie
28th November 2007, 02:00 PM
It's due to a different rendering algorithm - OSX uses "typographically correct" sub-pixel rendering, whereas Windows/IE uses an algorithm that MS believe makes it easier to read. When I first switched, I too thought that everything looked a bit blurry and weird. Try playing with the different settings in the Appearance System Prefs page.

Now when I go back to windows, everything looks ugly and pixelated. The Apple algorithm is smooth, and is much easier (IMO) to skim over, since it is spaced like "real" text, not in a way that is decided by where the pixels on your display happen to fall.

Edit: I just played with the settings in 10.5, and AFAICT, the "strong" text settings look much nicer, and less "smudged". They look "solid" instead of "smudged". Have they actually changed it, or am I imagining things?

Squozen
28th November 2007, 02:19 PM
edit: that'll teach me to take a while to post, I just rephrased forgie's post.. :P

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

marc
28th November 2007, 03:15 PM
Squozen: I'm glad you found that that link... I was looking for it. Perfect answer to this thread :)

Chrisflyer
29th November 2007, 06:17 PM
I am using a MACBOOK PRO.

Should I set Safari to Times New Roman 16 or leave it at Times 16?

I have set font smoothing to Strong, is this correct?

cecilroy
29th November 2007, 08:47 PM
There's no doubt that Leopard's font anti-aliasing is superior to Tiger (and to Windows).

edit: The linked article is rather dated.

rtc
29th November 2007, 09:22 PM
Three cheers for analog CRTs.

- take up heaps of space

HIP

- radiation emitters and energy suckers

HIP

- but display your screen image clearly and crisply

HOORAY!!!

timothy
29th November 2007, 10:24 PM
lucinda grande 12 pt
courier 13 for fixed width
looks beautiful

marc
29th November 2007, 10:34 PM
There's no doubt that Leopard's font anti-aliasing is superior to Tiger (and to Windows).
Has font rendering changed at all from Tiger to Leopard?

Also, I'm not sure Windows rendering is worse. It's less accurate, but sharper. Not bad at all in some case (I do prefer Apple's approach though).

forgie
29th November 2007, 10:35 PM
Three cheers for analog CRTs.

- take up heaps of space

HIP

- radiation emitters and energy suckers

HIP

- but display your screen image clearly and crisply

HOORAY!!!
You sounds like someone who hasn't used a high-res LCD for any period of time.... I was helping a friend the other day, and they had a 21" Trinitron CRT. Talk about blur/fuzz/yuck. Yeah, it makes it so you can't see the borders of pixels at high-res.... but as far as I'm concerned, that's not a good thing. There are many words I would use to describe CRT monitors, but when compared to a good, modern, 20/24" LCD, "clear" and "crisp" are definitely not among them!

If you're using a 1280x1024 19" LCD, you should really try a smaller pixel pitch - try a 20" 1680x1050, or a WS 19" LCD. There's a huge difference in quality.

Byrd
30th November 2007, 07:54 AM
Seems your question has been answered most adequately, however I must add that Internet Explorer for the Mac hasn't been updated for a good five years - it's unsecure and unreliable. You would do best by running either Safari or Firefox on your Macbook Pro :)

JB

marc
30th November 2007, 08:27 AM
There are many words I would use to describe CRT monitors, but when compared to a good, modern, 20/24" LCD, "clear" and "crisp" are definitely not among them!
I agree. Modern LCDs are better in every respect, except motion. When switching from CRT to LCD, my first thought was "OMG! I can see the pixels!".