PDA

View Full Version : OS System Maintenance - Manually?

Chrisflyer
26th November 2007, 08:26 PM
Friends,

I understand that the OS performs self maintenance between 0300 and 0500 for runs performed daily, weekly and monthly.

As I have the system of during these times, I assume the runs don't happen and as such the maintenance is not performed?

If so, does this cause any system or operational instability?

Are the runs really required?

Should I be running these functions manually? Specifically the daily run?

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards.

Currawong
26th November 2007, 08:56 PM
It affects nothing of consequence. The night-time routines were designed for servers with hundreds of users, not personal machines, clearing out logs of things such as the web server, mail server and whatnot.

gelfie
26th November 2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know if something changed in Leopard... but there have been times that as soon as I have woken my mac from sleep, the system maintenance scripts have run.

Is this coincidence? Or have they changed something in leopard so as the scripts will be run and the next possible login?

warren21
26th November 2007, 09:02 PM
mmm I've noticed this too. when waking my mac from sleep the HD churns

AusMac
26th November 2007, 09:17 PM
^ probably due to running applications and caches which also have to wake up // if you want to put it that way.

Chrisflyer
27th November 2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you to all your replies.

I am still learning a lot about Mac's as I have only transitioned from Windows a few days ago.

Take care.

JimWOz
27th November 2007, 08:35 AM
To run the maintenance scripts manually, without venturing into the Terminal Application, use either Brian Hill's Macjanitor (now quite an old utility -not sure if it runs under Leopard) or the Maintidgit widget.

Currawong
27th November 2007, 09:46 AM
The maintenance scripts are now run through Launchd rather than through the old cron system. From that, I presume that Launchd is more intelligent and can be told to run stuff that it missed the chance to run when the computer was asleep or shut down.

gelfie
27th November 2007, 11:08 AM
I think you are right curra

The maintenance script run at the soonest opportunity.

liondog
22nd June 2009, 05:01 AM
Does anyone know if MacJanitor runs on Leopard? I use it but wondering if it is necessary