PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Back to my Mac

jforge
26th November 2007, 12:59 PM
Interested to hear of your experiences with "Back to my Mac", the Leopard feature that allows those with .Mac accounts to access all of their Leopard computers via the internet.

So far, I can't seem to make it work following Apple's instructions.

Mac1: 12" Powerbook G4
Mac2: Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini
Mac3: G4 Quicksilver Dual 1Ghz
Mac4: G3 iMac 600Mhz
Modem: D-link DSL 300+ adsl
Router: Netgear Wireless WGT 624
ISP: Netspace

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306672

jeremy_warnock
26th November 2007, 01:14 PM
Its absolute crap
I cannot get it to work outside of my home network. I can see the macs in my side bar but it never connects.

I used logmein instead works much better and I can access my macs from my work xp machine

conufsed
26th November 2007, 01:39 PM
I haven't got Leopard yet, but I am wondering how your network & wireless is layed out.

Back to my mac requires UPNP or NAT-PMP which allows a computer to open a port, and tell the router to allow external connections back to that port.

Have you tried just making sure the router allows this, and have the computer plugged directly in to the router

jeremy_warnock
26th November 2007, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah I have tried everything still no go.

No biggy, as I said logmein is free and works from any computer attached to the net

jforge
27th November 2007, 09:12 PM
Of course, the other thing you can supposedly do with "Back to my Mac" (if you can get it to work that is) is use the built in Screen Sharing feature of Leopard and actually control your other Macs over the internet.

Very cool.

Anyone had any luck making this work?

porkiebants
6th January 2008, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

My first post here, so be kind with your responses *haha*

I have tried everything to try to get this to work. I was event told by tier 2 support in Ireland (after Apple Australia referred me) that there was no such thing and it wasn't possible. The technician rang back within 5 minutes apologising and that it was possible.

So, I upgraded my trial dotmac account to a full account AUD$140.00 and it still didn't work. I purchased an Airport Extreme and it still didn't work.

When I spoke to a reseller here in Melbourne, they said that no-body in their store had to got it to work.

Absolutely useless..... Leopard is our Vista!

gameon
6th January 2008, 12:49 PM
pretty sure it works if the router is an airport at both ends, there must be some ports that you can forward to get it to work on other routers?

surely

msilsby
6th January 2008, 01:30 PM
Have had a bit of experience with this, and it appears that this technology is very much in its infancy.

It will work fine over a network that is 'held together' (or created) by an Airport, but everyone I have talked to about it claims that it won't work any further than this. I am not sure if this is due to networking problems (lots of different network/equipment/software out there, as well as standards like adsl, adsl2, etc) or a software limitation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a major update in 10.5.2.

Razer
6th January 2008, 01:56 PM
Most people are having trouble with back to my mac.. I just vnc and the chicken. Does the job wonderfully :)

porkiebants
6th January 2008, 03:30 PM
pretty sure it works if the router is an airport at both ends, there must be some ports that you can forward to get it to work on other routers?

surely

The only reason I want to use this is because I have an iMac on one end and a MacBook on the other end. I connect via a wireless Broadband modem (Vodafone) and sometimes have the need to access files remotely and from rural locations. I think it would be pointless to have something like this work only when there is an Airport Extreme at both ends.

porkiebants
6th January 2008, 03:31 PM
Most people are having trouble with back to my mac.. I just vnc and the chicken. Does the job wonderfully :)

What does this mean?

If I want to access my files remotely on my office computer via my MacBook can it be done in other ways?? :eek: Open to ideas and feedback

Cheers

thorevenge
6th January 2008, 04:13 PM
He is using a VNC server on the Mac and the program ChickenoftheVNC as a VNC viewer application.

OS X has a VNC server built-in that Chicken can use. It is found in Sharing and you just specify that users can control the screen with a password for VNC.

Then open port 5900 on your modem and forward it to your Mac.

Run ChickenoftheVNC and set it to the IP of your home connection and add the password - Chicken should do the rest.

This is not secure at all though and the use of an SSH tunnel is recommended - someone else can answer that bit though :)

Currawong
6th January 2008, 06:40 PM
It doesn't appear to work with many routers. If you know what ports to forward on your router, you can manually enable some of the services.

For Screen Sharing (Apple Remote Desktop) you need to forward 22 (TCP), 3283 (UDP) and 5900 (UDP) from memory. I don't know about the other services used for Back to my Mac.

Edit: Found this article (http://db.tidbits.com/article/9322) which explains what ports it uses.

Razer
6th January 2008, 06:58 PM
He is using a VNC server on the Mac and the program ChickenoftheVNC as a VNC viewer application.

OS X has a VNC server built-in that Chicken can use. It is found in Sharing and you just specify that users can control the screen with a password for VNC.

Then open port 5900 on your modem and forward it to your Mac.

Run ChickenoftheVNC and set it to the IP of your home connection and add the password - Chicken should do the rest.

This is not secure at all though and the use of an SSH tunnel is recommended - someone else can answer that bit though :)

Yep that's what I mean.. I don't need security, so it doesn't bother me.. You could also set up a VPN , a ftp server or even a http server.

glenmorrow
6th January 2008, 07:36 PM
i have a router at home and a PC based work place and have never been able to use Back To My Mac.

But one day... hopefully I will be able to get it working.

clifft
6th January 2008, 08:37 PM
I have always thought that .Mac was expensive and not necessary as most of its offerings, if needed, could be had cheaper or free from elsewhere. However, the concept of 'Back to my Mac" seemed of interest and worth considering a subscription if you had to travel a lot. Surprising for Apple, according to the replies on this thread, it is a fizzer and needed more work before it was released. This was borne out by a reviewer in Australian MacWorld. No-one, it seems, can make it work. Very poor show from Apple, we expect better than this!! A thought occurs to me. Let us assume you are overseas, say in London, and you need a file from your home computer in a hurry (as per the advertising blurb). Obviously your home computer needs to be switched on but will the programme, when Apple finally get it to work, wake your computer from sleep to access the hard drive or will it need to be actually up and running? I can see problems if you have to ring up your partner at 3 am, wake him/her up and get up and go and turn the computer on so you can access the file!! If this is the case (and what happens if you are both away from home?) then this feature isn't worth very much at all. Clifft

lurka
6th January 2008, 08:39 PM
I have it and use it almost daily,
I dont understand why some ppl find it to be so flakey

here is a linky of all the supported routers

linky (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306803)

I use an Apple Express 'n' at home ISP Bigpond cable extreme
I use a linksys 4port modem router at work ISP Internode
At my mates I have an Old Airport Extreme Dual ethernet I think. (last of the Dome ones) ISP Bigpond Cable standard.

I leave my mac @ home on but the screen set to turn off and I can remotely screen share or file share from my mates or from work.....

I dont find it to be flakey at all, I open finder and BAM there it is under the SHARED tab.

Cheers

jforge
11th January 2008, 09:31 AM
I use an Apple Express 'n' at home ISP Bigpond cable extreme
I use a linksys 4port modem router at work ISP Internode
At my mates I have an Old Airport Extreme Dual ethernet I think. (last of the Dome ones) ISP Bigpond Cable standard.

Does the Bigpond Cable provide you with a Static IP? I may be wrong, but I thought that would be the case.

BTMM is supposed to be a solution for those of us (most of us) with Dynamic IP addresses. Making that connection with dotMac as the middle man authentication.

I'm hoping the next Leopard Update will give the rest of us hope.

Currawong
11th January 2008, 04:12 PM
To those of you who couldn't get it to work, see my previous post on this above. You only have to forward a couple of ports in your router for it to work. Mind you, this requires you set a static IP address on the machine you want to use BTMM on.

lurka
11th January 2008, 04:58 PM
I dont have a static IP nor do any of my machines have a static IP.

for me it just WORKS

RGSX12
11th January 2008, 05:17 PM
I have a .Mac trial and it's working for me too. Simply logged in to my account on both of them, started 'Back to my Mac' then turned on 'Screen Sharing' and 'File Sharing'.

Found both computers immediately.

lurka
11th January 2008, 05:21 PM
did you find both computers while not on your home network?

RGSX12
11th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Haven't tried yet, I'll let you know when I do ;) ATM, I have only got them both connected via same wireless network. That's where I will mainly be using it.

Currawong
11th January 2008, 11:19 PM
I unfortunately have some obscure Japanese VOIP router provided by my ISP which doesn't work :(

Lutze
11th January 2008, 11:34 PM
I unfortunately have some obscure Japanese VOIP router provided by my ISP which doesn't work :(

Try and figure out what chipset it is using... no matter how obscure they mostly use 1 of only a few types... it's quite possible that your one will be ok.... eventually.

rickyd
12th January 2008, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

I have Back to My Mac enabled on both my Mac's. I am trying to connect my MBP to my iMac G5 via an AirPort Extreme Base Station.

Can anyone tell me if there are any ports or something that need to be enabled. Why won't it work. Is anyone else having issues via an AirPort Extreme?

Thanks,
Ricky.

RGSX12
12th January 2008, 04:46 PM
Are both computers connected on the same network or are you trying to access your Mac remotely at another location?

I had a similar problem. Both computers were on the same network with BTMM enabled on both but it wasn't working. Go into 'Sharing' and make sure Screen Sharing and File Sharing are both enabled.

rickyd
12th January 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm currently trying to access from outside the network. Screen Sharing might be disabled on the iMac at home. But then again I can screen share internally :S

Thanks,
Ricky.

cosmichobo
12th January 2008, 04:55 PM
There was another thread on this topic yesterday/day before...

Basically word is BTMM is a LOC... except on local area networks.

rickyd
12th January 2008, 05:07 PM
There was another thread on this topic yesterday/day before...

Basically word is BTMM is a LOC... except on local area networks.

What's LOC? I thought Back to My Mac only worked over the internet, not internally on local networks.

lurka
13th January 2008, 11:17 PM
LOC = Load of Crap,

But for me its seamless, I dont have any issues outside the home network accessing my computers at home with BTMM.

Ricky, Try turning it off and turning it back on again when you are out and about.

Razer
14th January 2008, 12:56 AM
Is there anyway of simulating accessing a computer from outside my lan. testing back to my mac is proving to be a royal pita...

Antonino Giglio
20th January 2008, 02:53 PM
Dear friends,

I followed Apple instructions to setup a Back to My Mac configuration but I don't think is working or, maybe I'm missing some steps...

I would like to use files on my iMac at my home from the other iMac my patner and myself have at her home.

What I've now enabled is Screen Sharing and File Sharing on the 1st iMac. Should I do the same on the 2nd one?

And then?

What are Remote Login and Remote Management for?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Currawong
20th January 2008, 04:06 PM
Back to my Mac is for connecting to, say, your Mac at home from work, where the networks are separate. Inside your house, you don't need it, as all the machines are on the same network.

Inside sharing, Remote Login is for Terminal logins to another machine. Not something you need to concern yourself with. Remote Management is for machines, say, in a business or school being managed centrally. It's like Screen Sharing plus the ability to remotely install software, check usage logs etc.

Antonino Giglio
20th January 2008, 05:47 PM
Back to my Mac is for connecting to, say, your Mac at home from work, where the networks are separate. Inside your house, you don't need it, as all the machines are on the same network.

Inside sharing, Remote Login is for Terminal logins to another machine. Not something you need to concern yourself with. Remote Management is for machines, say, in a business or school being managed centrally. It's like Screen Sharing plus the ability to remotely install software, check usage logs etc.

Thanks for the infos on Remote Login and Management!!!!

But the 2 iMac ARE in 2 separate places... ;) 2 different suburbs...

Dante Kyar
20th January 2008, 06:06 PM
Back to my mac is broken for a lot of people.

I haven't had a chance to check it out for a while, but i think its still broken.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/05/back-to-my-mac-not-working-apple-knows/

Antonino Giglio
20th January 2008, 06:32 PM
Broken? Hum?

You mean not working? Eh eh eh...

Well, tomorrow I try to do the same setting to the other iMac and then see...

A .mac address is needed isn't it?

Antonino Giglio
20th January 2008, 10:25 PM
Ohhh I see.. there was another post with the similar name to which was merged...

Currawong
20th January 2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, you need .Mac to use Back To My Mac. It doesn't work with all routers. In those cases, you just have to forward a couple of ports in your router and it'll work.

Antonino Giglio
20th January 2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, you need .Mac to use Back To My Mac. It doesn't work with all routers. In those cases, you just have to forward a couple of ports in your router and it'll work.

Thanks! What do you mean that I need to forward a couple of ports? How do I do that?

Antonino Giglio
21st January 2008, 06:16 PM
Ok, here I am...

Have done tests today at my girfriend's house on her iMac.

I was able to connect to my iMac at my place. I couldn't connect through the Finder as for some reason it doesn't work but I could connect with the address given to me on the setup of the File Sharing, the address is:
afp://c220-239-216-190.lowrp2.vic.optusnet.com.au/
Why????

Then I setup my girlfriend's iMac File Sharing but it gave me a weir address:
afp://192.168.1.1/
Does the problem have something to do with the fact she is on a WiFi connection?
How can I enable it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Dante Kyar
22nd January 2008, 08:17 AM
you need to log into your routers setting. It should give you an ip address on the bottom of the router. You type that into your web browser address bar. eg. 192.168.0.1

or to check your routers address, go to system pref, go to network, if ethernet, it should say it there, if airport, click on advanced and then the TCP/IP tab. Thats for leopard. Similar for tiger.

The username and password is usually admin and password or just admin and admin.

Then go to port forwarding within your router, and forward the correct ports. Im not sure which ones though. you'll have to look that up.

Antonino Giglio
22nd January 2008, 08:18 PM
:confused:

Antonino Giglio
27th January 2008, 03:27 PM
I didn't really understand...

Why my address is afp://c220-239-216-190.lowrp2.vic.optusnet.com.au/ while my girlfriend's one should only be the number of her router???

Antonino Giglio
29th January 2008, 08:07 PM
No-one? Still need to clarify the above point.. thanks!!! ;)

Antonino Giglio
3rd February 2008, 04:02 PM
Helloooooooooo still need HELP! :D

Dante Kyar
4th February 2008, 11:59 AM
The problem isnt that she is on a wifi connection.

What was said above was the router ip address you use to log into the rotuer.

From there there are apparently ports that need to be forwarded (tell the router what channels i guess you could say to send the info in/out of). This is done in the configuration of your router.

When you have forwarded the correct ports (not sure what they are) on both routers (the ones both macs connect to the internet through) you are now ready to use back to my mac supposidly.

Ensure that both macs are on, and that on both macs, obviously running leopard, you are signed into your .Mac account subscription (via system preferences, and yes the same .mac account with the same user-name and password) and you have turned on back to my mac for both macs (one of the tabs in the .mac preferences).

Now you should be able to go to finder and see the other computer. Then you should be able to connect as... and screen share.

I hope that helps somewhat. I think the problem is that most people dont know how to do the port forwarding and it really should "just work." Apple are apparently working on this. Maybe in the huge 10.5.2 update.

Also, you need to go into sharing in system preferences and i think tick the boxes next to screen sharing and file sharing.

Antonino Giglio
4th February 2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks so much for your answer, but sill I didn't understand why my mac give me a different configuration result from that of my girlfriend.

We both have Leopard but when I do the configuration on my one for the File Sharing, the address given is:
afp://c220-239-216-190.lowrp2.vic.optusnet.com.au/

While when I setup my girlfriend's File Sharing it gives me only this address:
afp://192.168.1.1/

I'm on a cable modem and she is on ADSL2 on WiFi.

Sorry if I ask again but I haven't grasp the above... :)

Dante Kyar
4th February 2008, 05:21 PM
just guessing here but i think maybe cause your's is going through the modem directly, and her's in via a network if that makes any sense.

I'm really not sure. However, when i look at my file sharing it shows afp://192.168.1.2/ which is very similar to your girlfriends. I'm also on a wireless network.

Antonino Giglio
4th February 2008, 08:38 PM
and your does work?

Dante Kyar
11th February 2008, 07:23 AM
No mine is screwed. I'm praying for a fix with 10.5.2

having said that, i haven't bothered with port forwarding on routers.