PDA

View Full Version : Folders at top of list?

dantheman65
26th November 2007, 12:53 PM
I did a search and found a thread on another forum asking about this question but it was quite old so I was wondering if there was a current answer.

Is there a way to make folders always appear at the top of list view ala (warning: dirty word) windows?

Cheers,
-Dan

Brains
26th November 2007, 01:14 PM
Nope. Not at all.

MacOS has always treated folders as just another item and sorts them alphabetically (when in list view and you're sorting by name) like everything else.

B.

symean
26th November 2007, 02:15 PM
I have half the answer - make sure you show the column 'Kind', then sort by that. It groups all folders together, but if you have any other types beginning with an earlier letter (such as 'Adobe PhotoShop File') they will appear before them in the list.

Other possible way is to show the column 'Label', then sort by that. Label all folders and again they'll be grouped together...unfortunately something with no label lists before something with a label. If you switch the sort order it puts all the folders at the top of the list, but in reverse alphabetical order. I suppose you could label all files, which would put them last. I guess that solution depends on how often you add new files/folders...