PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro keyboard stops working (read on..)

mechcon
26th November 2007, 10:43 AM
Okay so I better type this quick before it stops responding again. So basically I got 10.5.1 on a C2D MacBook Pro, and sometimes the keyboard decides to not respond. Now I know it's not a hardware issue, as it comes back to usage after a minute or so.. Weird, and now it's working!!! Okay I even checked the System Profiler, and when the keyboard hasn't responded, it is still listed in the USB devices. hell even the trackpad is still working.

This is starting to intrigue me :\ Anyone able to shed some light on this pleeeeease? :(

purana
26th November 2007, 10:46 AM
Someone mentioned to me today, that the problem you describe is a known issue with Leopard. I don't have any more details, but I will ask the fellow in question to see if he can point me to where he found the info.

He said he experiences something similar where his keyboard on his MBP will take no input, then a few mins later it comes good. Only to go again sometime later.

He said he found it to be a known problem when he searched... first I had heard of it until before.

stewiesno1
26th November 2007, 10:47 AM
Are you sure that the cable connector from the keyboard is connected or pressed down all the way onto the Logicboard ? It sounds like it may be just attached and no more and when the MBP heats up a little , the connection may be lost.

Stewie

mechcon
26th November 2007, 10:52 AM
I used to have that problem Stewie, but that was replaced with a new keyboard, and the symptom would have been that if the connector was loose, then the trackpad wouldn't work, and wouldn't appear in System Profiler.

So yeah I doubt that it is a loose connection (at rather hope that it isn't) :P

purana
26th November 2007, 10:59 AM
I asked and got a reply. Check here (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=10.5+unresponsive+keyboard&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

He advised he did a google using the search terms in the link above .

mechcon
26th November 2007, 11:19 AM
Okay, so it seems the ball is in Apple's court now.. waiting...

blox
27th November 2007, 09:03 AM
So what do we do? Do we just wait for Apple to bring out a "fix" or do we take it back?

sectioneight
27th November 2007, 09:29 AM
same happens with me occasionally, I had to force shutdown last night with the power button because the track pad died as well

its a C2D MBP aswell (Nov last year)

mechcon
27th November 2007, 09:31 AM
We could call'em/email'em to express our concerns... but would they listen? only if enough of us contact'em

NORMANDY
27th November 2007, 09:38 AM
We could call'em/email'em to express our concerns... but would they listen? only if enough of us contact'em

ok give us an e-mail address and lets get mailing.. its happened to me twice now..... on a 11 month old 17 inch MBP

mechcon
27th November 2007, 09:43 AM
Hey I'd ask you the same thing :P I've no idea how to contact'em

sectioneight
27th November 2007, 09:59 AM
they don't show an email

just fire one off to support@apple.com.au and see what happens :P

other than that there was a report bug page - but I cant find it -its a bloody maze!

chefspop
30th November 2007, 02:54 PM
I had this problem when I first got my MBP about 3 weeks ago. The problem occured about 3-4 times and I haven't seen it again.

jerrah
30th November 2007, 03:35 PM
I've had this problem with 10.5.1 occasionally as well. Usually occurs after the machine wakes from sleep and I'll find the mouse will half work - jerkingly - with the keyboard being randomly responsive.

If I restart the machine it comes good without the problem.

crimespree
30th November 2007, 03:42 PM
i have this problem too

this mbp is by far the worst mac i have owned, always has had specific problems like this

first wireless, than wake from sleep, now this keyboard shit, not to mention it needs to be returned for lines on the screen

dagaz
30th November 2007, 04:59 PM
The appropriate thing to do, as well as ringing AppleCare Australia for those machines still under twelve months old, would be to use the page MacBook Pro - Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html).

BrettJohn
30th November 2007, 05:25 PM
first you should send feedback to apple....the more people hound them the quicker they will fix it (hopefully)

i heard that resetting the PRAM and NVRAM might be a fix for now

how to reset PRAM and NVRAM:

1.Shut down the computer.
2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3.Turn on the computer.
4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6.Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

mechcon
7th December 2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah I've tried that, rebooting is the only fix for it it seems.... but yeah, the PRAM thing is a temporary measure.. and seems to last a few days.

sectioneight
7th December 2007, 10:14 AM
just submitted feedback using that form above

mechcon
7th December 2007, 12:18 PM
sent an email to support @ apple.com.au and waiting for a reply.. also pasted this thread in the email, so they know that there's a few with this issue.

uncyherb
17th December 2007, 01:27 PM
Not sure if we're all getting the same thing in reality, but my 17" MBP C2D 2.33 started doing some weird "not listening to the keyboard input" on the weekend...

seems very odd.

I must do a scan of the apple support forums to see if this is a real problem in the wild.

crimespree
17th December 2007, 01:46 PM
ive got this too, this mbp has had the MOST operating system errors out of all the apples i have,

has really detracted from the ownership of such a beautiful machine,

i wont into it but there has been a heap of software issure that relate to the latest MBPs. hopefully 10.5.2 fixes

changing the sleep state so that it doesnt safe sleep has helped a lot,

the jerkiness from wake stopped after i removed istat completely from my system, their is an apple forum discussion on this though it has yet to be determined that istat is directly responsible for this problem

for me it sucks to own a MBP, sad i know

uncyherb
17th December 2007, 02:06 PM
The weird thing at the moment for me is now I'm also getting the MBP somehow thinking I'm ejecting the optical disk as I type... friggin annoying to the max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not every keystroke or anything... just every now and again, but something like 5 times today!

Make that 6! 3 times in the last 3 minutes!

mechcon
19th December 2007, 10:26 AM
OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate11.html

Thank you Appletosh..ma..macintosh... Applecut :D

NORMANDY
20th December 2007, 05:46 AM
indeed they have, no problems now :)

eidlog_007
9th June 2008, 11:55 PM
Actually, I still have this problem, and I'm on a mb with Tiger. Sometimes after waking from sleep, the keyboard doesn't respond at all and i have to restart to get it going again.
Should I take it in to mac?