PDA

View Full Version : safari parental controls

entropy
25th November 2007, 06:49 PM
I have a problem with web browsing. It appears parental controls have been switched on somehow which makes it extremely difficult to access any bookmarked site. I am using an administrator account and a parental controls option is greyed out in safari security preferences. And in system preferences, of course, you can't set parental controls on the admin account. What has happened?

AusMac
25th November 2007, 07:40 PM
Did you accidentally turn on Private Browsing?

entropy
25th November 2007, 07:54 PM
err, no

AusMac
25th November 2007, 08:06 PM
Well I am running Safari 2 and it has the same situation regarding parental controls .. mouse over produces a text tip informing me that administrators cannot change this setting.

Going oout on a limb here to suggest it a possibility that you have parental controls turned on/off somewhere else such as Quicktime perhaps?

entropy
25th November 2007, 08:14 PM
Not that I can tell. I only have an administrator account on the imac, and I can add parental controls at the accounts system preferences pane to the adminsitrator.

entropy
25th November 2007, 09:47 PM
anybody have any hints?

AusMac
26th November 2007, 12:47 AM
I asked my son;

that is strange
you might be able to fix it by doing the following:
create a new account, enable it as admin then login to that account and disable your account as admin
then your account should appear in parental controls
and you can turn that off
then you can enable your account as admin again
and finally delete the temporary admin account

dagaz
26th November 2007, 05:43 AM
I asked my son;

Do you think your son might have any answers for this one? On my MacBook using Leopard I have two accounts, my work account and my main account. When I first got Leopard and was still playing around with it I enabled Parental Controls on my work account. However, when I went back into my main account I found that I could no longer use the Dashboard. To try and fix the problem I put my work account back to Admin and now widgets don't work properly in either account. There's a discussion about it on the Apple Support forums here (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5766936&tstart=0).

entropy
26th November 2007, 08:32 PM
From Ausmac

I asked my son;

Quote:
that is strange
you might be able to fix it by doing the following:
create a new account, enable it as admin then login to that account and disable your account as admin
then your account should appear in parental controls
and you can turn that off
then you can enable your account as admin again
and finally delete the temporary admin account

OK, tried that:

When using the new admin account, parental controls indicated that the (changed to) standard account does not have parental controls for safari switched on.
So I logged on to the (changed to) standard account, in safari preferences the check box for parental controls is now active and I can, using the new admin account name and password, click off the box.
However, this joy is short lived as when I close the preferences, the parental controls are still active, and when I go back into preferences the parental controls check box is checked!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

entropy
26th November 2007, 08:46 PM
in fact, it changes back to parental controls while I am watching it. Poltergiest!!!!!!!