PDA

View Full Version : Blackbook iSight Issue

RGSX12
25th November 2007, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

Quick question, I have been having issues with my iSight camera in my Blackbook lately. When I do a complete full shut down and turn it on the next day or so, the iSight camera starts up as soon as I hit the power button.

Occasionally this doesn't happen, but it's doing it more often to concern me. Do I need to take it back to the store to get it replaced or something or is there a fix?

Thanks,
Tim

neonwizard
26th November 2007, 06:20 AM
I had the same problem but with a new white Macbook, I ran Automation in OnyX and it so far seems to have stopped this problem with iSight and it's been Ok ever since......So far!

ClockWork
26th November 2007, 07:12 AM
Oh good heavens - no - no - it just means... you're being watched night and day.
Also, it monitors your visits to the lavatory and scans your retinas once every 60 seconds.

Some people might think of this as "invasive" - but we just like to think of it as showing you we care - and to make sure that you're still... well... YOU! << insert light hearted chuckle here.

Yes, this has now been documented as a "bug".

The other possibility is that you have iChat activated as a Login Item. To rule out this possibility, click once on the far-left Apple Menu, and scroll down to System Preferences...

Click on Accounts, click on the Padlock icon in the Accounts left-bottom corner, to unlock it, enter Password, and then click once on the right-top tab, called: Login Items, and look at the list beneath it, to see if iChat is there.

If it is, click once to select it and then hit your delete key, to make it vanish off the list. Then just Quit out of System Preferences.

iChat has an option within its Preferences to have iSight and iChat turn on together.

If that's not the case, then you have the "iSight turns on when MacBook turns on" hardware bug. It has been documented, yet a solution has not been forwarded, as yet.

Just out of interest, when it does turn on at the same time you start up, go into Photobooth and tell us what you see. Is the image of you correct?

Another possibility might be to reset the Macbook's SMC - yet as we don't know which MacBook you have, read this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319 - follow the steps and see if this helps.

You could also try Repairing Disk Permissions - (though I doubt this will help) - by clicking once on the Go menu item in your Finder, scrolling down to Utilities, opening Disk Utility, clicking once on your HD in the Disk Utility window, and clicking on the Verify Disk Permissions button - and when it's done, clicking on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

If none of this information is any good, this tiny piece of Apple scripting might be a temporary answer: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23346/isight-disabler-applescript

RGSX12
28th November 2007, 08:17 PM
Wow, thank you for a very detailed response. I'll be sure to take a look at resetting the SMC and such and I do hope the bug can be ironed out ASAP.

Thanks again :)