PDA

View Full Version : Pictures as finder backgrounds.

dantheman65
23rd November 2007, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,

More shenanigans. I was exploring around all the dialog windows and learning all the key commands and I noticed you can set finder windows to have a solid colour background or a picture background.

When I set a picture (usually one of the included gradient wallpapers) it looks really nice but when I scroll down through the folder (assuming the folder has alot of items in it) the picture eventually 'runs out' and you're left with plain white again.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to combat this or not. It'd be nice just to be able to tile a picture instead of just having a 'single' picture as the background.

If you don't quite understand what I mean then I can attach screenshots or what have you.

Cheers,
-Dan

ClockWork
23rd November 2007, 05:32 PM
Not without some kind of image editor Dan, like Photoshop - but if you tell me which tile name you want, I can create it as multi-tiled and plonk it in here for you, as a jpg you can drop into your Desktop folder.

cw

mjankor
23rd November 2007, 05:34 PM
Get a great big picture. :D

Sorry best answer I can think of I'm afraid.

tempestas
23rd November 2007, 05:47 PM
Its a size of image thing. If the image is say 1024X768 pixels, if the window is bigger than that then we go back to white (or what ever background colour)

However when Apple introduces full resolution independence then this will no longer be a problem. Of course you may need really high DPI images for them to not look crap at either extreme.

dantheman65
23rd November 2007, 06:13 PM
Not without some kind of image editor Dan, like Photoshop - but if you tell me which tile name you want, I can create it as multi-tiled and plonk it in here for you, as a jpg you can drop into your Desktop folder.

cw

Yeah I thought that might be the case but I was curious as to whether there was a workaround. My only concerns about patching together a really big image is whether it'll eat shitloads of memory whenever I use finder.

*can't wait for his extra 2gbs of ram to come on monday*

ClockWork
23rd November 2007, 06:23 PM
Doubt it. They can be made excruciatingly tiny - like 20 Kb - and the photos are around 60 Kb and they don't burn anything noticable to the human mind, if used as window backgrounds.

dantheman65
23rd November 2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah it'll most likely be grayscale and only a few shades anyway, it should be small.

Cool display picture, I love Kubrick.

silverdreamer
23rd November 2007, 08:23 PM
The only work around this I can think of is to reduce the number of items in the affected folders.
This happens with my work completions folder. But I reduce the number of items by creating subfolders within the completions folder, ie: Completions 1-50/completions 51/100 etc. :cool: Not a major drama. Leads to reduced clutter as well.

ClockWork
24th November 2007, 11:36 AM
That's a bit like making a room smaller so that it's floor space fits the persian rug inside it.

^_^