PDA

View Full Version : Missing drive space

kabyn
23rd November 2007, 05:59 AM
I've got a mac mini running leopard 10.5.1 with an 80Gb hard drive. On a whim, I decided to check the amount of free disk space of the internal drive and it was down to only 6Gb when I was expecting half the drive to be free!? (I don't have Time Machine set up yet, by the way)

After googling a bit, I found a program called WhatSize (http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/) which could go through my drive and tell me what's eating up all the space. After running it, however, it can only find 50Gb used, which is more or less what I was expecting. But finder tells me that there's 68Gb used.

I tried running Disk Utility on the hard drive and repairing the drive made no differences. Repairing permissions brought up these warnings though:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to the rest of the space or what's causing these warnings? Would really appreciate some help on this one. There's about 20Gb of precious space that's just gone missing! :(:confused:

kabyn
23rd November 2007, 06:36 AM
After googling a bit more, it seems that lots of people are having the permissions errors after upgrading to 10.5.1. But what is really concerning me at the moment is the missing 20Gb. Anyone have any clues as to how I can find out where it went to?

kabyn
24th November 2007, 12:25 AM
Worked out the trouble with the missing space. When I installed Leopard, I migrated my old user info as another user. I'd copied all the things I wanted to keep over, but I still had a few iDVD projects sitting around that I'd forgotten about. When I did a folder size check, only about 1Gb of the other user folder was detectable, but the rest was kept hidden so the numbers just didn't add up. Worked out what was wrong by doing a sudo du -x -h -d 1 / and finding a completely different size for the Users directory than all the other methods I'd tried.

Brains
24th November 2007, 01:05 AM
Well, I certainly wouldn't've figured that one out -- but thanks for letting us know of your success! Your story and solution will now be permently entrenched in the MTAU annals, in case anyone else should come across such an oddity.

B.

kabyn
24th November 2007, 07:12 AM
I'm just relieved I've got some space back! :)