PDA

View Full Version : HELP: ibook modem won't disconnect!

chocho
1st March 2005, 10:58 AM
Hi

I am having problems disconnecting the modem in my ibook when I choose to from the status bar! It goes into "disconnecting" mode and keeps doing so until I have to restart to get it to connect again. I've tried to go into internet connect and disconnect otherwise, but no go!

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so do you have any tips on altering the issue?
If I pull out the phone cable or there is provider drop-out, the ibook recognises there is no signal and the modem disconnects with no problems. It only stuffs me around if i want to disconnect it personally!

Thanks

hawker
1st March 2005, 11:08 AM
Never had this problem... Have you tried to disconnect from the application "internet connect"

Past this I would just wait till your dial up session ends or just pull the phone line out. Either that or get ADSL :lol:

chocho
1st March 2005, 11:23 AM
same issue disconnecting in "internet connect"! wonder if i change the modem type, (v.92) at the moment. would (v.90) make any difference? never had that problem in melbourne, it started in sydney!

Disko
1st March 2005, 11:33 AM
iirc this happened sometimes in my dialup days. my solution: unplug the phone line.

chocho
1st March 2005, 11:37 AM
feels like i am the only one on dial up, lol! yeah the pulling out of phone line works, but be nice if the ibook would listen to it's master!

:-)

Byrd
1st March 2005, 12:17 PM
iBook modems are always a little dodgy, mine KPs whenever I try to access it :( I'd try selecting a different modem script (eg. v.90 over v.92), and try the other options offered under this panel (recall something about disconnect options)

JB

hawker
1st March 2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by chocho@Mar 1 2005, 11:37 AM
feels like i am the only one on dial up, lol! yeah the pulling out of phone line works, but be nice if the ibook would listen to it's master!
It will listen. After you pull the phone line out :)

chocho
1st March 2005, 07:10 PM
i'm gonna try and reconfigure the modem and see what happens!

Rayd
1st March 2005, 07:50 PM
much like what disko said.. pull out plug! :D

or...

get cable! :D

MacV
1st March 2005, 08:29 PM
same thing happened to me when i got my PB, i forcily d/c'd the line, after that it never happened again.

Harry the Horse
1st March 2005, 09:40 PM
I get the same thing with my PowerBook. Disconnecting and even pulling out the cable doesnt work. It usually requires a restart. :thumbdn:

chocho
1st March 2005, 10:32 PM
bugger!

chocho
2nd March 2005, 04:17 PM
pulling the phone plug is the way to go!

MacV
2nd March 2005, 04:44 PM
Chocho: no offence mate, but your nickname in my language is kiddie-speak for the male member (i.e. Penis).

Just thought I would point it out. :)

chocho
3rd March 2005, 09:22 AM
lol, is that so... it was my pet canary's name when i was a kid! suppose he had one too

Currawong
3rd March 2005, 07:38 PM
I'd have a look at macosxhints.com - I recall somewhere that this was a known issue, but can't remember for the life of me what fixes it.

chocho
11th March 2005, 06:41 PM
I just got to Melbourne, connected to my Optus phone line and was able to disconnect the modem with no hassle! It appears that my ibook doesn't like telstra land lines! (what's new) Works well with Optus!

Happy now :rolleyes: