PDA

View Full Version : Permissions issues

tcn33
21st November 2007, 05:33 PM
I'm having some odd issues with permissions under Leopard.

There are three accounts on my iMac - the admin, me (standard account) and another standard account ("share") which is used by the XBMC to access my Downloads folder. I had it set up this way under Tiger and it worked just fine, but ever since the move to Leopard I've been having increasing trouble with permissions.

The first problem was that new items in the Downloads folder would not inherit the same permissions - I had to start doing an "apply permissions to enclosed items" every time I wanted to access something new via XBMC as the "share" user.

Now all of a sudden, even when logged in as "me" I have to enter the admin password in order to delete something from my own Downloads folder. WTF?

I've tried repairing permissions a couple of times, but nothing seems to change. Any ideas?

Currawong
21st November 2007, 08:28 PM
Does it work if you use a different downloads folder?

tcn33
21st November 2007, 08:53 PM
Deletes are okay from other folders, but as far as access for the "share" account I don't know, because the Downloads folder is the only one it's set to access.

Currawong
22nd November 2007, 09:05 AM
I reckon, change your downloads folder to /Users/Shared or a sub folder of that, and point XBMC to that.

tcn33
22nd November 2007, 09:20 AM
I'll give it a shot. Any thoughts on the other issue, i.e needing to authenticate in order to make any changes even when logged in as "me"?

Currawong
22nd November 2007, 02:49 PM
Which user is downloading the files? "Me"? Where is the downloads folder? In your home folder?

tcn33
22nd November 2007, 02:57 PM
Which user is downloading the files? "Me"? Where is the downloads folder? In your home folder?
Yes, it's "me" and yes, it's in its default location in the home folder.

Is there a way to return everything to default permissions so I can start over?

Currawong
22nd November 2007, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure what permissions you were setting on files to allow the share user to see them. I think the best way is what I stated, set your downloads folder to be /Users/Shared and have XBMC pull files from that. Then you shouldn't have to do anything.

It's possible user file permissions were tightened in Leopard as in Tiger and below you could easily and inadvertently leave files so that anyone could read them.

Gerbils
22nd November 2007, 07:31 PM
I have a similar problem... every time I try to move a file to the trash or move a file to another folder, I am prompted for my password. It's driving me nuts!