PDA

View Full Version : Haunted macbook pro as the clock strikes 12

Linux_insidev2
20th November 2007, 11:04 PM
Hey Guys,

Recently I've been noticing my superdrive making it's "hellooo, any disc there" call while i've been surfing the net and I haven't been able to figure it out.

I've been working the late shift at work - 3pm till 10pm so I get home at 11:30 and relax with my MBP.

Tonight I looked at the clock and it all makes sense, the time was precisely 12:00AM when the sound has been happening, anyone else having this? any explanations?
The only reason I can think of is some cron job that may be running, or some firmware function with purposes unknown.

lansd2000
20th November 2007, 11:08 PM
that sounds spooky.... i'm gonna watch mine.... from a distance (:

iPirate
21st November 2007, 09:27 AM
Try looking into the optical drive in a dark room when it's reading from a disc (eg: an installation DVD) and it seriously looks like one of those Cylon thingys from Battlestar Galactica (the recent edition).

jerrah
21st November 2007, 09:45 AM
Mmm Laser on the eyes. THough the laser should be invisible.

AusMac
21st November 2007, 09:52 AM
It is quite obviously related to the moment when a new day starts.
As a watchmaker I can inform that a malfunction of date change will always stop a watch.

This is probably some background process.. Do you have "set date and time automatically" switched on? .. in Date and Time prefs pane.

Linux_insidev2
21st November 2007, 10:25 AM
This is probably some background process.. Do you have "set date and time automatically" switched on? .. in Date and Time prefs pane.

Yep, but I don't know why it'd make the os poll the drive at 12:00 on the dot.

vanderlay
21st November 2007, 12:03 PM
My MacBook used to do it at midnight too, but it stopped happening after I wiped it to put leopard on last month.
I kind of miss it happening.
When I used to hear it, I had a Pavlovian response to check out what the new Item on the Zazz website was.

semaja2
21st November 2007, 02:58 PM
Could it be on the system scripts running?

Mark T
21st November 2007, 09:35 PM
My iMac starts chugging away at 12:00 midnight also.

We must have caught the same virus!

Next time I notice it, I will open Activity Monitor and see if I can detect the culprit.

Wally
24th November 2007, 06:44 PM
Are you by any chance running Apple Mail at the same time??

It makes a strange noise when there arent any messages.. Sounds sorta like the disk eject sound in a way :)

mini_Matt
24th November 2007, 08:47 PM
My old MacBook did this as well, spot on 12:00, no idea why.

meinrosebud
24th November 2007, 08:49 PM
boo dude!:eek:

rmac
24th November 2007, 10:23 PM
this happend to me while running tiger but has disappeared with the leopard upgrade. nothing to worry about. if you look at activity monitor at 12am youll notice teh build_hd_index takes up a little cpu load.

its a left over daemon from panther which indexed hard drives for searching before we had spotlight. theres a command you can use to disable it but it never worked on my macbook pro.

Linux_insidev2
24th November 2007, 10:52 PM
its a left over daemon from panther which indexed hard drives for searching before we had spotlight. theres a command you can use to disable it but it never worked on my macbook pro.

This wouldn't have worked because there were no releases of Panther for intel machines. :/

Probably a service relating to the commandline tool locate, which I actually use :P

rmac
25th November 2007, 04:12 PM
This wouldn't have worked because there were no releases of Panther for intel machines. :/

Probably a service relating to the commandline tool locate, which I actually use :P

sorry i forgot to provide the link for my reasoning and that command http://devnevyn.livejournal.com/3558.html. it was just left over when apple upgraded panther to tiger. apple doesnt rewrite OS X for incremental updates they just add to and refine. the daemon must of been left there but removed in leopard.

Linux_insidev2
27th November 2007, 10:31 AM
the daemon must of been left there but removed in leopard.

I'm running leopard :P

TheWatchman
27th November 2007, 05:00 PM
Did you update or clean wipe and install?

Updates can leave traces of the old operating system

Linux_insidev2
27th November 2007, 06:29 PM
It's a service in Apple Remote desktop, since all my machines have ARD installed for management it's running this for daily reports.

I've disabled it now.

pschargel
6th January 2008, 05:40 AM
It is quite obviously related to the moment when a new day starts.
As a watchmaker I can inform that a malfunction of date change will always stop a watch.

:D Turning off Set Date and Time Automatically has resolved this problem on my MB. :thumbup:
Thank you!

LarryH
6th January 2008, 08:43 AM
System Preferences>Energy Saver>Schedule

You've obviously ticked one of the boxes.

pschargel
8th January 2008, 09:43 AM
LarryH,

If your reply was to pschargel, the problem with my MB doing nightly midnight ejects was resolved by unticking System Preferences>Date & Time>[x] Set Date & Time Automatically checkbox as suggested by AusMac. I have since looked at your suggestion, System Preferences>Energy Saver>Schedule, but found no ticked checkboxes. Thanks for your reply.
-----
pschargel

Wally
26th June 2008, 06:16 PM
My macbook has been doing this as of recent (on the hour, different hours) , not sure if its the superdrive...

I'll try all the above options, (started with the automatic date / time update stuff)

That didnt work :(