PDA

View Full Version : busted imac screen

g4/733
20th November 2007, 08:45 AM
I had a big disaster on sunday when i broke the lcd screen on my 20" imac that I purchased 2 months ago as a refurbished unit. Imac still functions as normal, but the screen is totally unreadable. I'm guessing that it would not be worth repairing (I paid $1300), so I went and bought an adapter (mini dvi-composite/svhs) and got it to mirror on my 32" C.R.T (toshiba). Funny thing is, that it would only function on 1 input on T.V, and picture quality was pretty ordinary. I checked the overscan button in system prefs. which helped a bit, but still isn't really good enough. My T.V also has a vga input, but vga doesn't support widescreen, and having hooked up my g4 tower in the past knew that that wouldn't be the way to go. What I'm asking is if anyone has some experience in hooking an imac up to a C.R.T tube, and getting a sharp picture, and what screen resolution works the best. My T.V does accept full H.D signals 1920*1080 progressive and interlaced, and has 2*component, 2*svhs, 3*composite and vga inputs, so I'm confused why it cant display the computer signal correctly. Would i be better served by buying another lcd screen (T.V or computer monitor?), whereby there would be no conversion going on (i.e- mini dvi to dvi rather than mini dvi to composite/svhs) to get a sharp picture. Any help or suggestions on what would be the best path to take to get my imac (that i love dearly) funtioning well again would be greatly appreciated.

gameon
20th November 2007, 08:48 AM
are you sure vga does not support widescreen? im sure i know a few people who run mac minis into a widescreen tv via vga

Wally
20th November 2007, 08:57 AM
Could you explain how you broke it?

Its probably just a loose plug or something

jerrah
20th November 2007, 08:58 AM
The 'VGA' connector does support widescreen.

I've never found computer output to CRT's particularly sharp. It's ok for watching TV but not for reading text.

symean
20th November 2007, 09:46 AM
Asking any dealer to replace the screen will be far too expensive. In my experience if an LCD is busted in any Apple product out of warranty, you don't replace the screen, you replace the machine!

Maybe you should gut it and sell all the components separately, or do some Googling and figure out how hard it would be to replace the LCD yourself - maybe sourcing a panel from overseas...

Finally,

You might be able to find a machine on eBay that has a dead logic board or something else that seriously devalues it, but has a perfectly good screen...then put the two together. and sell whatever you don't use.

g4/733
20th November 2007, 10:16 AM
Gee, thankx everyone for quick response. First, ive tried vga with my g4 and always ended up with black bars a top and bottom of screen. I always thought vga only supported square formats, however could be totally wrong on that. I really think that hooking up to TV will never yield sharp results, unless you had a mac pro with professional breakout box (i.e- blackmagic or kona card), with proper component out!!! However this remains outside the realms of an imac. probably best sourcing out another lcd monitor that operates in native dvi. Just wondering on everyone's thoughts about video mirroring an imac at exactely the same resolution as the (phillips) monitor that is inside the mac. will I be able to get the same sharp picture, or does mirroring change things?

I broke it when I was moving it back on the table, and the stand was placed on a thick power cord which in turn tipped it forward. The top left hand corner of the screen landed on the palm of my hand. That's all it took---the weight of the computer itself falling forward only a few inches. Was not really a heavy hit. I wonder now if the new imacs with their glass screens would be a bit stronger? I'm very dissappointed in myself as the machine runs perfect and had it only a little while, however I must find a decent solution quickly, as I neeed the machine back up. My g4 serves as a great backup for most things, but cant run what I need this week. cheers for now

thorevenge
20th November 2007, 10:19 AM
If its an Intel, the 'DVI-VGA Adapter' does do WXGA - my Blackbook is feeding to a 22 widescreen as we speak, and thats a mini DVI port!

Wally
20th November 2007, 10:48 AM
its probably a loose cable..

Maybe take it to MacMate if you are in melbourne, im sure he'll fix it for you :)

g4/733
20th November 2007, 10:56 AM
My T.V has only a vga port, not WXGA, but nice to hear it works. Thankx Wally, I do live in Melbourne, where is Macmate located? I need to find a good mac dealer, cos everyone that I've tried so far seems not to know much about what they are selling. Definately not a loose cable

Wally
20th November 2007, 11:11 AM
www.macmate.com.au is macmates site..

It should have all his details there

tokevmur
20th November 2007, 11:20 AM
Covered by home contents insurance? have to pay excess.

Just a thought.