PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 15.2" 1.67Ghz

etai@iinet.net.au
28th February 2005, 06:10 PM
Well finally got my new powerbook today. I thought I'd let you know how I went fault-wise (As you probably know alot of people are complaining about recieving faulty powerbooks).

1. warped casing - my case seems well aligned at present.

2. Funny HD knocking noise - yep, have this. Every now and then I get a soft tapping sound coming from my laptop "like a wooden pencil gently tapped against a hard surface". (apparently almost all 100GB HDs are affected).

3. Faulty trackpad - mine seems fine.

4. Lack of stereo separation from speakers - yep, have this. Going to the sound control panel, panning the sound all the way to the right: sound is still very loud from the left speaker. (apparently almost all 15" aluminium PBs are affected).

5. Faulty lid latch - mine seems fine.

All in all I reckon I've escaped pretty lightly... :)

Anyone else have experiences?

hawker
28th February 2005, 06:17 PM
My 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook is fine :)

Rayd
28th February 2005, 07:16 PM
so is my awsome little 12" iBook 1ghz! :D :D :D im so in love with it! especially with iScroll 2!!! :D :D

Paxton
28th February 2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by etai@iinet.net.au@Feb 28 2005, 06:10 PM
1. warped casing - my case seems well aligned at present.

4. Lack of stereo separation from speakers - yep, have this. Going to the sound control panel, panning the sound all the way to the right: sound is still very loud from the left speaker. (apparently almost all 15" aluminium PBs are affected).

5. Faulty lid latch - mine seems fine.

1. My case is fine, even after 7 months, the case is still straight and practically scratch free. No problems here.

4. I just unplugged my external speakers which are permanently connected to my computer, through the use of a headphone/component sound out cable, and the splicing of 2 sound cables, works fine. There is a large sound separation from the speakers, left is left, right is right. No mixing.

5. My magnetic (i think) latch works fine, and is way better than the always present and annoying one in my work Dull, but when the lid is closed, there is a slope in the screen, it favors the left of the screen, because being left handed that is where it is always grabbed.

I am glad to hear the laptop is defect free, and hope that the computer will be good for many years to come.

just a footnote, what does my Avatar look like? On one computer I Still see the eye, and on my PowerBook I see the Territory

hawker
28th February 2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Feb 28 2005, 08:44 PM
just a footnote, what does my Avatar look like? On one computer I Still see the eye, and on my PowerBook I see the Territory
Territory showing up this end :P

dodgy cache at your end :)

Rayd
28th February 2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 28 2005, 10:00 PM
Territory showing up this end :P

dodgy cache at your end :)

amen to cache!

iluvmymactoo
28th February 2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by etai@iinet.net.au@Feb 28 2005, 06:10 PM
2. Funny HD knocking noise - yep, have this. Every now and then I get a soft tapping sound coming from my laptop "like a wooden pencil gently tapped against a hard surface". (apparently almost all 100GB HDs are affected).

Anyone else have experiences?
How loud is this sound?
Does it seem to happen at any given point (eg: during certain application use or at regular intervals)?

My 12" 100HDD is still on order do you think there's cause for alarm?

etai
28th February 2005, 11:36 PM
Its quite a soft sound, but easily heard in a quite environment. Not everyone seems to have an affected drive, but alot do.

The suspect drives are Seagate 100GB units.

Its a soft "pencil thunk/ticking" sound. Some have described it as a ball bearing hitting the side of the case (softly). It is soft enough that you won't notice it if there is a decent amount of ambient noise.

Check out the thread on dicussions.apple.com, there has been an extensive discussion on it:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...78981@.68a61f5f (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@213.Nn1YaMf8TLS.978981@.68a61f5f)

The problem with stereo from the 15.2" powerbook's inbuilt speakers has partly been attributed to the presence of a third "mid range" speaker to the left side of the case. Apparently only the 15 inch model is affected. This is apparently wide-spread. I've read reports of people going to an applestore and testing 3-4 computers to find them all affected. This problem doesn't really bother me though.

djfusion
1st March 2005, 07:20 AM
I'm currently awaiting my 15" PB - do you have a link to where a lot of people are complaining about recieving faulty powerbooks so I can read up on it?

iluvmymactoo
1st March 2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by djfusion@Mar 1 2005, 07:20 AM
I'm currently awaiting my 15" PB - do you have a link to where a lot of people are complaining about recieving faulty powerbooks so I can read up on it?
I've been reading about this "noise" the 100GB HDD apparently is making.

It's not a faulty drive at all, but a feature of that type of drive (reportedly a Seagate drive). I know the HDD in our G3 iBook makes this same sound and I recall when it first came onto the market a barrage of comments citing the drive as "faulty". Three years on and the G3 is still going strong.

I don't think there's any need for concern.

djfusion
1st March 2005, 07:46 AM
Oh that's okay then, nearly all my HDs rattle. Both of my Toshiba Portege laptop HDs tick and thud under heavy access and you don't want to even try and sleep near the 120GB HD I have in my Xbox when it's be accessed, it sounds like a cement mixer. :lol:

etai
1st March 2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Mar 1 2005, 07:25 AM
I've been reading about this "noise" the 100GB HDD apparently is making.

It's not a faulty drive at all, but a feature of that type of drive (reportedly a Seagate drive). I know the HDD in our G3 iBook makes this same sound and I recall when it first came onto the market a barrage of comments citing the drive as "faulty". Three years on and the G3 is still going strong.

I don't think there's any need for concern.
Yes, you're quite right. Most have come to the conclusion that these sounds are just a characteristic of the new seagate drives because the issues is so widespread, and nobody has actually experienced a harddrive failures.

Even so, its something to keep in mind if you think this issue may bother you.

If you want to read about issues others are experiencing head over to the discussion pages at apple.com.

Whilst, it is expected that there will always be some lemons coming off the production line, I think people were suprised the frequency of problems given we're not longer talking Rev A, B machines..

That said, although I would have preferred a quieter HD, I still reckon my powerbook rocks! :D

djfusion
1st March 2005, 01:27 PM
I can't see any 'discussion pages' at apple.com, can you fine-tune your linkage please?

etai
1st March 2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by djfusion@Mar 1 2005, 01:27 PM
I can't see any 'discussion pages' at apple.com, can you fine-tune your linkage please?
General support/discussion page:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...5SRB.1@.ee6ba8c (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@232.372qa2A5SRB.1@.ee6ba8c)

HD noise:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...SRB.1@.68a61f5f (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@232.372qa2A5SRB.1@.68a61f5f)

Speaker balance:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...SRB.2@.68a799e4 (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@232.372qa2A5SRB.2@.68a799e4)

iluvmymactoo
1st March 2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by etai@Mar 1 2005, 01:04 PM
If you want to read about issues others are experiencing head over to the discussion pages at apple.com.

Whilst, it is expected that there will always be some lemons coming off the production line, I think people were suprised the frequency of problems given we're not longer talking Rev A, B machines..

Keep in mind the Apple forum is for people having problems, not a discussion group such as this. (As a matter of fact those threads get deleted by Apple moderators).

There is a lengthy thread about this HDD noise, I'll have to wait until mine arrives to hear exactly what they mean. But I suspect they are hearing the same noise as was evident in the G3 iBooks which everyone complained about too.

trinidad
1st March 2005, 05:19 PM
A friend of mine got the newer powerbook 12" and her case seems to be protrude a bit more on the lower right corner by the trackpad (is that what you mean when a case has 'warped'?). Interestingly, my ibook 14" also has this anomaly...though it's the opposite..instead of the corner protuding it seems to slant slightly downwards, like it was dented before hand. Fortunately both of these defects aren't THAT bad and, for my ibook, I've decided not to complain about it. It's not like it has cracked anyway.

iluvmymactoo
2nd March 2005, 05:25 AM
I just wanted to add that I posted on a couple of other sites about this sound the 100GB HDD seems to have.

The general concensus is that the noise is not terribly loud or obtrusive to the normal operation of the system, some even cited it as normal HDD noises. One poster said they bought this drive to replace another smaller drive from a different manufacturer and even though the noise does exist finds it quieter in comparison.
There is a soft tapping/pinging noise that happens at random intervals. I would categorize it as "slightly annoying".therwise, the drive is quieter than the Toshiba 60GB 5400RPM that I had previously.

These were mostly British or Europeans who responded. I can only assume that the majority of comments in the other forum mentioned earlier are perhaps being just a little pedantic :rolleyes:

Often in that forum advice offered has been way off the mark and very generic, so I wouldn't put too much credence in the responses over there.

I'd say the reason why Apple has chosen this particular brand is not only because it's one of the first to have the 100GB capacity but also because spinning at 5400rpm it apparently only utilises as much battery power as a 4200rpm HDD.

Another interesting aspect of the Seagate HDD is it's G-Force Protection which is suppose to allow it to perform better during operation than competitive drives when subjected to high levels of shock, and when vibration occurs in multi-drive environments such as entry-level server applications.

I just wanted to add this information for anyone concerned.