PDA

View Full Version : Disk Utility - How long to partition drive?

leon
19th November 2007, 09:51 AM
I have just installed a 40GB drive into an iMac G3 400MHz that I just purchased. The drive had windows XP so obviously I need to wipe it.
I have to iMac G3 connected up to my iMac G5 in target disk mode. I popped a Tiger install DVD in my G5 and booted up from disk. I then went into utilities to run disk utility to Erase the disk and make a single partition.
What I would like to know is how long this is suppossed to take. I have been waited for at least 10 minutes at the moment.

Update: After about 12 minutes it failed with an error message stating that the drive cannot be partitioned due to I/O Error.

Does this indicate a faulty drive or is it the disk controller on the logic board, or just something corrupted somewhere. The drive did work when it had XP on it.

Huy
19th November 2007, 09:54 AM
Shouldn't take any more than 10-15 seconds or so to create partitions.

stewiesno1
19th November 2007, 10:14 AM
To put Tiger on that iMac I think you have to do a firmware update first.

Stewie

Edit : See here - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117
And you are using a retail DVD of Tiger and not the one that came with your G5 are'nt you ?

You would probably be better off with Panther on that iMac.
You should also max the Ram and use a 7200RPM drive to help speed things up a little.

leon
19th November 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't have any Panther disks so that is why I am using Tiger (retail package).
I don't have access to OS9 to do the firmware update as the optical drive ate it and I can't get to it (screws on optical drive are far too tight for me to undo them).

Problem is that I can get the Tiger disk utility to recognise the HDD when I boot off the installation disk, but it won't let me perform and erase or partition. It justs times out with an I/O error.

stewiesno1
19th November 2007, 10:40 AM
So the OS9 disc is still in the optical drive ? Can't you do the paperclip trick and get it out ?

stewiesno1
19th November 2007, 10:50 AM
I just read your other thread. You should remove the drive and get out that disc. I would install the old HD and do the firmware update in OS9 first. Then I would put the new 40Gb HD in and try to install Tiger via the Firewire TDM method after initialising it in Disk Utility.

Stewie

leon
19th November 2007, 11:07 AM
I removed the drive but found the screws holding the optical drive together were far too tight for me to undo.
Also I purchased the iMacs without HDDs so I don't have an old HDD to put into them.
Currently I have found another HDD that I have lying around (10GB) which had windows NT. I have put it into the iMac G3 and connected to the iMac G5 via TDM. It was recognised and I am currently using disk utility within Leopard to perform an Erase. It has been about 10 mins now so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Hopefully if it eventually erases the drive I will try to get Tiger onto it. I am pretty sure that the iMac has the latest firmware on it.

leon
19th November 2007, 11:18 AM
Update:
Leopard finished Erasing the drive that was in the iMac G3 via TDM. When it completed this it told me I had the following

37.2GB = DOS partition
Untitled = HFS+ Journaled

How can the drive by DOS and HFS+ at the same time?
Weird thing is that I can no longer enter TDM to install Tiger anymore. It appears that once I erase the drives to become HFS+ then the iMac simply fails to enter TDM.

This is driving me crazy.