PDA

View Full Version : So is 1.1.2 safe to purchase?

Keving
18th November 2007, 11:15 PM
I am assuming all models now sold are 1.1.2 - i just sold my WoW account for $600 US so i thought i might exchange it for an iPhone! If i purchase i'm guessing Mac-pro.com is the best place to buy from viewing the iphone sales thread, so roughly 600 US to purchase inc shipping from mac-pro, so it works out even for me(shipping can't be more then $50 US.. can it?) And i guess it'll be 1.1.2.

So back to my original question - is 1.1.2 hacked/useable in Australia or should I hold off on my purchase a week or so.

Edge
18th November 2007, 11:20 PM
The phones being sold with 1.1.2 out of the box have a new version of the bootloader. (This includes phones from the US and Europe.) Try and get yourself a 1.1.1 phone.

This new bootloader prevents the previous methods of unlocking from working, so the only way to use the phone at the moment is with an original SIM card.

Until the bootloader hacked/replaced/exploited only the older phones (with the older version/s of the bootloader) will be able to be unlocked. It is unlikely that Apple will remotely update the bootloader on existing phones, as this is considered risky. But anything is possible...

W9cae
18th November 2007, 11:22 PM
FW 1.1.2 has not been unlocked due to a new bootloader. There has not been any details when an unlock will come avail for OTB 1.1.2 phones.

Huy
19th November 2007, 01:06 AM
Mac-Pro I believe are charging $41 USD for shipping so yes it will be less than $50 USD.

1.1.2 out of the box phones will not work. Even if you purchase it, there is no solution right now - as the other two (Edge and W9cae) have said. The new 4.x bootloaders on the 1.1.2 iPhones are not hacked yet.

T cell
19th November 2007, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post.

I have just bought an iphone from the apple US site. It is due to arrive later this week. I suspect that it will be the latest firmware update (i presume).

Does that mean that it will not work and cannot be unlocked at this stage?

thanks

T cell

stevejay
19th November 2007, 09:24 AM
If it's FW1.1.2 you've got a wait before you can use it, but it will be cracked, they're always cracked ;)

If it's a 1.1.1 you'll be able to unlock it.

T cell
19th November 2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks

chocho
19th November 2007, 10:18 AM
hey T cell, welcome!

just curious, did you directly order the iphone from the apple on line store in the US? if so, i didn't think they were shipping outside of the US!

cheers

T cell
19th November 2007, 10:30 AM
I ordered directly off the US site and I had it shipped to a relative in the US who is posting it to me.

I used an Australian credit card.

W9cae
19th November 2007, 10:35 AM
Check out this thread I started a few days ago. This is information written by the "Dev Team"

OTB FW 1.1.2 phones will not be an easy task to crack. If you have one you might have quiet a wait on your hands.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=40166

chocho
19th November 2007, 10:35 AM
cool, thanks for that.

be patient, and i am sure there will be a hack soon for the new version!

good luck with it, and enjoy :)

T cell
20th November 2007, 11:35 AM
I dont quite understand.

If the 1.1.2 update has not been unlocked then what are these people doing (or claiming to do)?

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15272

http://yahyology.blogspot.com/2007/11/iphone-112-hacked-again.html

I'm not IT literate so I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean that if I follow their steps I can use my iphone as a telephone?

W9cae
20th November 2007, 12:12 PM
T cell these folks have phones with the old bootloader. Look above in this thread & you will find a link that explains. The new bootloader has not been cracked. So purchasing an iPhone now is not wise.

OziMac
20th November 2007, 12:20 PM
In Apple and AT&T stores in the US there are still some pre-week 45/1.1.2 phones available, so if you have a friend close to one you might want to try and get them to get one before it's too late.

Just today I was with someone in an AT&T store who got a week 38/1.0.2, so while the Apple stores might be running out of stock quickly, AT&T still might have a few weeks in it. :)

scottgrot
20th November 2007, 05:16 PM
Hello from Texas!
I almost bought an iPhone today from an AT&T shop. Only I had left my credit card back in the hotel room (with my Australian money).

Any ideas how you can pick a pre-week45/1.1.2 phone sealed in the box?

Huy
20th November 2007, 05:29 PM
Look at the serial number. The older the better/safer you are.

4th and 5th digits will tell you the week number.

e.g. 7S740xxxx... = Week 40.

T cell
20th November 2007, 06:09 PM
Its week 45 on my invoice, ergo its most likely to be the 1.1.2

Now I just have to find something to do with this $450 metallic paperweight.

scottgrot
20th November 2007, 06:31 PM
Ah, fantastic.

T cell
23rd November 2007, 09:49 AM
Ok , my metallic paperweight has arrived,

its serial number 7u745 etc, so it appears to be 1.1.2 as expected

I rang apple au to unlock it for me (its worth a try:)) the woman in the call centre became hysterical and needed smelling salts.

so now what I need is one of those pimply nerds to do their thing and come up with a way to flash the 4.6 bootloader and allow me to unlock the damm thing

Huy
23rd November 2007, 11:27 AM
You rang up Apple Australia to ask about it?

T cell
23rd November 2007, 11:45 AM
Yes I asked them to unlock it for me so that I could use it.

I thought it would be interesting to see the response

The woman went nuts, its like I asked to sacrifice her new-born child:)

I realise that Apple is a religious cult, but their extreme behaviour with this telephone is unprecedented.

jdremote
24th November 2007, 12:50 PM
I am getting an iPhone brought in from the US tomorrow. I was worried it was going to be 1.1.2 as it was purchased from the Apple store in San Fran late last week.

The serial number is 7v741xxxx - which is week 41. Is this a good chance to be 1.1.1. Can anyone confirm with a similar serial number?

Thanks

andrew.wilson
24th November 2007, 01:00 PM
I rang apple au to unlock it for me (its worth a try:)) the woman in the call centre became hysterical and needed smelling salts.

ROFL! Thats the funniest thing I've heard all week! :thumbup:

I am interested to hear any developments on unlocking out of the box 1.1.2 iPhones as the girlfriend's parents are going to the UK in Early January and want to buy one there...

cjuiz
24th November 2007, 01:17 PM
I am getting an iPhone brought in from the US tomorrow. I was worried it was going to be 1.1.2 as it was purchased from the Apple store in San Fran late last week.

The serial number is 7v741xxxx - which is week 41. Is this a good chance to be 1.1.1. Can anyone confirm with a similar serial number?

Thanks

I got a week 42 from Hawaii last week. It was a 1.1.1 fw phone with the old bootloader. Unlocked perfectly. Although the appsnap site has been down recently. Took a few tries to jailbreak it.

W9cae
24th November 2007, 01:38 PM
There is allot of effort being spent on the new bootloader.

But that effort is now affecting users with the old bootloader. The only realistic non retarded upgrade downgrade method is the IPSF v1.8

But the question there is how harmfull is IPSF ?

Jaffa
24th November 2007, 02:22 PM
The only realistic non retarded upgrade downgrade method is the IPSF v1.8

But the question there is how harmfull is IPSF ?

Well, considering its the least harmful one out there I still wonder why people use anySIM. I'd rather pay $60 to do it properly than for free and not be able to upgrade.

I can upgrade to 1.1.2 as I unlocked with iPhoneSimFree. Their unlock withstood the 1.1.2 update :)

As you can tell I am a fan of IPSF and think that anySIM is the devil's child :D

Jeff

W9cae
24th November 2007, 03:07 PM
Jeff I am starting to agree with you and $60 isnt going to break the bank. IPSF v1.8 should be a very mature unlock they have had plenty of time. anySIM would have been just as good if the folks didnt fight & worked together. Seeing as there is a way to reverse anySIM 1.1 out on FW1.1.1 the time to jump ship might be best now. And hopefully IPSF continues to be unlocked in the future FW updates. As you cant seem to run it from FW 1.1.2 you must run it from FW1.1.1 then upgrade.

lurka
24th November 2007, 03:09 PM
So if you have an OTB iPhone 1.1.2 you can get it to work with any sim you like on any network with IPSF?

W9cae
24th November 2007, 03:22 PM
No OTB FW 1.1.2 phones have no way to unlock the sim all that is available is activation & jailbreak.

Prospects of a sim lock for OTB FW1.1.2 new bootloader phone is buckleys to none possability.

Soon the possability of activation & jailbreak might also come to an end.

W9cae
24th November 2007, 03:24 PM
But IPSF does offer the best way at the moment for a user who has a FW 1.1.1 phone to unlock the sim & upgrade the FW to FW1.1.2

We are only talking old bootlader phones.

T cell
24th November 2007, 03:43 PM
I suppose the only thing is to wait and use the phone with the carrier that apple choses here in Oz

W9cae
24th November 2007, 03:46 PM
Well you might have a problem there also as you will need an sim for iPhone from that carrier.

Folks in the UK & Germany are now finding out. You cant do and the carriers will only sell you the aproved sim with a new iPhone.

A3Australia
24th November 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi! I have both a week 45 and a week 46 iPhone Activated, Jailbreaked, and working on both Vodafone (prepaid) and Telstra (postpay) SIM cards.

I am sending this from the week 46 iPhone.

NOTE: These phones are not unlocked! I used a TurboSIM in each phone to trick the phone into 'thinking' it is working on an AT&T SIM card.

Of course I had to take the firmware down from the original out of the box 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 to activate/jailbreak & install AppTapp etc. etc. Then I had to take it back up to 1.1.2 and jailbreak again.

By the way, USA stores (both Apple and AT&T) are now making buyers sign a contract stating they will activate with AT&T on a two year contract within 14 days. My buyer who sent me the week 46 phone said "contract" but I am thinking it must be an "agreement"?

They also recorded the IEMI numbers (scanned) and of course refused his cash and recorded his credit card number etc.
Now I am wondering what more is to come - IEMI blocking??

T cell
24th November 2007, 11:17 PM
thanks A3Australia,

that gives me some hope, Of course I cannot understand a word you have written in the technical sense, but I am encouraged that you have done it on your iphone.

Thus far I have managed to use the iphone to prevent important documents from blowing off my desk during a breeze (I task for which it has been entirely adequate).