PDA

View Full Version : G5 vs intel

Diluded
18th November 2007, 04:04 PM
look i know the point is moot but which is faster? just a wonder

mvjs
18th November 2007, 04:06 PM
Intel hands down. (probably less the original Core Solo Mini)

leon
18th November 2007, 04:09 PM
My intel macbook absolutely slaughters my G5 iMac by a country mile in every single aspect.

Byrd
18th November 2007, 04:11 PM
These days, any Core2Duo Mac (excluding Core Solo) will smoke the G5 architecture in any benchmark. Having said that, the G5 still packs a decent punch with audio/video/image processing applications - and are still suitable for this use - but again the Core2Duo systems still win out.

A good site to browse through Mac benchmarks is Barefeats, here is one between Quad G5, and four and eight core Mac Pros:

http://barefeats.com/octopro1.html

JB

leon
18th November 2007, 04:14 PM
I guess I should have mentioned that the Intel is only good if you have Universal Applications. If you app is PPC only and have to run Rosetta, then things get really, really slow.

mjankor
18th November 2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I agree. My G5 was about neck and neck with my macbook in terms of pure processing grunt. Dual G5 2.0 vs a 1.83 Core Duo.

Don't think for a second though the G5 wasn't a powerful beastie. I bought the G5 about 3 years before the Macbook even hit the Market. It was only after IBM dropped the ball that the G5 fell behind.