PDA

View Full Version : New Mac User - some questions

jdoh77
16th November 2007, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

As a long term PC user who has grown increasingly disenchanted with windows and associated programs over the years I felt like a kid in a candy store when my new macbook arrived yesterday. What a refreshing experience to use something that simply works and is very intuitive. You might say that I am pretty happy with things thus far.

As a new mac user, I was wondering if any of you might be able to share your thoughts ont the following:

- Parallels or Boot Camp? I still need XP for work and was wondering which approach is the best in terms of loading up a second operating system.

- My OSX system is 10.5. At this risk of sounding like a moron can someone confirm if this is Leopard?

- On that note, my macbook was custom built. Part of this was getting a 160 gb HDD. However, I notice that the space on there when I first fired up is only 130 gb. Does this sound right - does OSX 10.5 etc take up 30 gb?

- I want to protect this beautiful machine so am considering a clear crystal case and silicon keypad skin. Will any of these adverserly affect the temperature of the machine? I know the case has ventilation holes but as the silicon skin is unperforated not sure if this is a good idea.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with any of the above.

decryption
16th November 2007, 08:32 AM
1. If you need to play games, or need full system performance, Boot Camp. Otherwise VMWare Fusion or Parallels run very smooth for the majority of apps.

2. 10.5 is Leopard indeed.

3. Yep, all the iLife stuff takes up a lot of space, as well as extra printer drivers and languages. Plus, a 160gb drive isnt' actually 160gb, more like 148gb something like that.

4. Silicon skins for a laptop? I don't think that would be a good idea. Just put it in a good bag when transporting and you'll be fine. All those protection layers will make the laptop look ugly as.

Enjoy the Mac :)

jdoh77
16th November 2007, 08:37 AM
1. If you need to play games, or need full system performance, Boot Camp. Otherwise VMWare Fusion or Parallels run very smooth for the majority of apps.

2. 10.5 is Leopard indeed.

3. Yep, all the iLife stuff takes up a lot of space, as well as extra printer drivers and languages. Plus, a 160gb drive isnt' actually 160gb, more like 148gb something like that.

4. Silicon skins for a laptop? I don't think that would be a good idea. Just put it in a good bag when transporting and you'll be fine. All those protection layers will make the laptop look ugly as.

Enjoy the Mac :)

Thank you sir - much appreciated.

Currawong
16th November 2007, 08:39 AM
The whole drive size thing is a deception - they tell you it's 160GB calculating it at 1000mb/GB. Your system tells you the size in 1024mb/Gb, so you appear to have "lost space". If you want to save a lot of space, here's what to do, after backing up any important data (as this erases and starts again):

Boot up from your computer's install disk, and select the "Customize..." button when it becomes available.
Turn off unneeded languages, printer drivers and Garageband + extras as well as iDVD, if you don't need them. Note that the languages are for running the computer with the whole UI in that language. Turning them off doesn't prevent the computer, say, showing web pages in other languages properly. As well, printer drivers etc can be installed easily at a later date if you require.

Doing the above will have given you at least another 5Gb of free space.

jdoh77
16th November 2007, 09:04 AM
Doing the above will have given you at least another 5Gb of free space.

Great idea - I will look into that once I have grown a bit more confident with OSX. Thanks.

Johnny Appleseed
16th November 2007, 09:12 AM
- Parallels or Boot Camp? I still need XP for work and was wondering which approach is the best in terms of loading up a second operating system.

You can actually have both if you like. Set up Boot Camp first, then Parallels will let you select your Boot Camp partition to use as your virtual drive.