PDA

View Full Version : forcing macbook pro to sleep

the_cripple
15th November 2007, 10:06 PM
Having bugger all luck with my problem and thought you lot could help :)

I currently have my download manager (speed download) running of a night time and have my dialup internet connection set to auto connect so when the line drops out it reconnects. However at 6am we start getting phone calls etc and with the net on the calls dont get through.

Now my problem is that I want my macbook pro to sleep at 6am every morning (so the modem hangs up), but the stupid thing won't. Tried the energy saving options, scheduling etc. I even tried using speed downloads inbuilt sleep/shutdown option but no luck.

Any suggestions as this is really starting to bug me.

macman_99
15th November 2007, 10:13 PM
I can tell you this. There are certain programs that in my belief will cancel the scheduled sleep of a comp. I know on my macbook that sometimes it wont do what I've scheduled it to because there have been certain things open.

Things like software installs have the power to stop shutdowns. I've also found that firefox tabs can stop a shutdown, as it times out waiting for you to decide whether you want to close the tabs or not.

My advice would be to open everything you have running at that time of the morning, but do it when you can watch whats going on.

that way you may see whats causing it to fail sleeping.

hope i helped,

Stefan.

Huy
15th November 2007, 10:15 PM
Or only leave the downloading app running and EXIT everything else to diagnose if it's still happening.

Currawong
16th November 2007, 10:21 AM
Speed download probably tells the computer not to sleep. You could write a small applescript "Tell application Speed Download to quit", save it, and have iCal run it at a scheduled time, maybe a couple of minutes before your computer is set to shut down in Energy Saver. From what I recall of someone else suggesting it this is possible.

Makes me wonder too if internet connections are scriptable so you can disconnect using the same trick.

the_cripple
16th November 2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah speed download/transmission are the culprits. As for writing an applescript, is it easy as I have no expertise in coding whatsoever.