PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone, where do I begin?

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm getting an iPhone shipped to me next week, and it will probably be a 1.1.1 version.

I'm a bit confused about all this unlocking business. At this stage I'll just want to activate it to use my Virgin Mobile sim, not to install other apps. So where do I start?

And can someone explain what Jailbreaking means? As opposed to unlocking... Will I need to jailbreak to activate/sim unlock?

Huy
15th November 2007, 07:48 PM
Jailbreak = getting out of prison :p and being able to install apps onto your iPhone (unofficial apps). You need to jailbreak it so that you can put programs on, that will unlock your iPhone (see my next explanation).

Unlocking = being able to use your iPhone in Australia under x/y/z carrier. It is not locked to AT&T (hence unlocked).

You also need to "activate" but this is done usually in tandem with jailbreaking (activating with "AT&T" - to be on contract etc, but you're not really doing this either).

I'm sure there's a list of terms out there - google them if you want better explanations.

There are also guides on how to activate/jailbreak/unlock 1.1.1 iPhones - look in this forum for the sticky/thread.

W9cae
15th November 2007, 08:28 PM
Follow this thread very simple and all works.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=39309

Good luck :)

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 08:33 PM
Okay, so I've been reading through the forums.

So just to verify. I need to Jailbreak my phone first, even before activating, (Jailbreaking with automatically activate it) then I can use AnySim to unlock it to use with any network?

W9cae
15th November 2007, 08:37 PM
If you follow that thread the jailbreak & activation is all done in one step then you install anysim 1.1 from installer & unlock your sim. That's all you have to do & your iPhone works in Australia.

These instructions are for FW 1.1.1 if your iPhone arrives with FW 1.1.2 your going to have to wait untill a solution is avail.

Lionman
15th November 2007, 09:08 PM
Personally, I like this tutorial (http://www.hacktheiphone.com/111/iphone_step_1.html) on the process for 1.1.1, it has images and is really clear on how you go about everything, I've done a few for friends this way and it's ULTRA simple.

One tip, keep your AT&T SIM in the phone until you have installed AnySIM then swap them out. sometimes it can be a little problematic when you have another SIM in before this step.

Enjoy!

lurka
15th November 2007, 09:11 PM
, So do you actually have to activate it and shell out any cash for a contract with AT&T, or this is essentially removed with all ya jail breaking and what not

I have a friend commin back from the states in December I might get me an early xmas prezzie to go with my Herman Miller Aeron , due in December

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 09:12 PM
Wow, that is awesome! Thanks Lionman. And I'll keep that tip in mind!

Just a question about Jailbreaking, does it screw up your phones IMEI and stuff? I read somewhere that it changes all your phones info...although I could have made that up just now....Haha.

Pal-o-mine
15th November 2007, 09:16 PM
Huey and W9cae are all over the iPhone and I learnt a lot from their posts while I was waiting for my iPhone to arrive. The thread that they mention above is great but this link has pictures of every step.

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/111/iphone_step_1.html

Worked flawlessly with my phone. But only for firmware version 1.1.1
I have a Virgin Mobile account and it works fine. Make sure you tell them you want the data plan as well.

Enjoy your phone.

lurka
15th November 2007, 09:18 PM
Also one other question I had , was can I sync my contacts to the iphone if it has been jail broken?

dt
15th November 2007, 09:22 PM
Also one other question I had , was can I sync my contacts to the iphone if it has been jail broken?

Yes, syncing your phone with iTunes is completely normal when you've jailbroken/activated. Just stay away from the "Update" button - you don't want to be going to 1.1.2 just yet!

lurka
15th November 2007, 09:24 PM
Yes, syncing your phone with iTunes is completely normal when you've jailbroken/activated. Just stay away from the "Update" button - you don't want to be going to 1.1.2 just yet!

right so I can sync music images and contacts just dont hit the update button and im cruzin hey?

I just want to be sure beofre I get my mate onto it

W9cae
15th November 2007, 09:32 PM
The last step by step with pictures is the same process & works flawlessly.

You don't not connect to AT&T or have to pay any $. This is a totally free process, just relax and take your time.

This process only applies to FW 1.1.1

New iPhones with FW 1.1.2 have not been hacked.

Also take care you turn off any automatic updates to iTunes as you dont want your hacked iPhone to upgrade to FW until it is usable for us.

I will also add I do not recommend the localization hacks. Others have fought with me about this but. Then they have come online with issues. That myself & others not using the localization hacks have seen.

W9cae
15th November 2007, 09:40 PM
After following the process posted above your iPhone works exactly the same as if you had activated with AT&T.

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 09:50 PM
I will also add I do not recommend the localization hacks. Others have fought with me about this but. Then they have come online with issues. That myself & others not using the localization hacks have seen.

What will it mean if I don't install localisation hacks? How will the iPhone handle contacts?

Huy
15th November 2007, 09:56 PM
If you don't install any localizations, then you'll just be (in a nutshell) a "US" iPhone user in Australia.

Numbers will just appear in the American format (555-555 or whatever it is...) and SMS' will come from the international format I believe.

Not sure, since I don't have a bare-bones (US) iPhone.

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 10:05 PM
So does that mean it wont recognise any of my contacts names because the number formatting is wrong?

Huy
15th November 2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah probably - not really useful is it :p
-- unless of course, your contacts are in US format.

I have mine set up so that SMS' come through showing as my contacts and received calls come through the same way too.

If it effects stability (I don't see why it would, it's just editing the UI/number formats) then you may not want to do it.

W9cae
15th November 2007, 10:27 PM
I have all my numbers in the international format. I like many others in the US have contacts from all over the world in my iPhone. My phone calls & SMS show correctly. FW 1.1.2 the localization is getting further implementation. There is ref for Australian format.

Huy as I have said its simple small little things that can affect the stability of iPhone FW. Your not running an OS like Tiger. Folks have removed items like custom desk tops or localization hack. And there problems have gone, of sudden freeze or continual reboot loop.

Its your phone do with what you want I am only trying to guide you. I am not the AT&T & Apple support depatment for iPhone. Hacked iPhone has no support or warranty.

Huy
15th November 2007, 10:34 PM
Agreed :D
I knew when I bought it that if it bricks on me, I'd have to buy another iPhone or (another manufacturer) - or even not, just go back to my old phone (if I can even do that... :p)

But yeah, I agree with what you're saying - keep it stock and the way it was meant to be (out of the box, only playing with it to get it unlocked in Australia). The rest is just asking for trouble (the crazy third party apps etc... though some are probably not going to cause major damage). Play it safe I guess :)

W9cae
15th November 2007, 10:42 PM
There are some third party apps that work great. And they are well worth using. I have a few doing jobs for me. But I must also accept in the future an update might brick due to 3 rd party app not implemented correctly. Once the SDK is avail and we have firm direction how to implement 3 rd party apps. We are set!

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 10:47 PM
So if I change all my numbers to +61WHATEVER all the names will show up in SMS and when I receive calls?

If that is the case, then i'd rather do that instead of f-ing around in the iphones settings.

Huy
15th November 2007, 10:48 PM
Only one way to find out... ;)

W9cae
15th November 2007, 10:57 PM
Yep just use international format & all will be fine. I have been running my phone this way since day 1 and it has never locked up, gone into bootloop or had one issue. Which I find totally amazing seing its a hacked phone.

AppTapp is one amazing bit of software. BUT it also the iPhones biggest threat. All one has to do is hack one of the servers supplying applications. Or you add a source that is not safe. You can install something very bad on your iPhone. Changing your root password isnt going to stop an AppTapp application from installing. With all the hacking activity taking place on iPhone you know a few folks out there are not reputable.

cjuiz
15th November 2007, 11:06 PM
Cool, thanks W9cae. And thanks to everyone else too, you've all been very very helpful!

Huy
15th November 2007, 11:22 PM
W9cae, what did you do about the SSH daemon? Remove OpenSSH? Disable completely? That's the only thing I really worry about - in terms of security on the iPhone (even with a different password, etc), wireless network being locked down (WPA) and so on.

SSH runs down the battery as well (another background process running).

W9cae
15th November 2007, 11:55 PM
Huy I run open ssh which is taken from the version that runs on macbook. So when your not connected via CyberDuck it shuts down. So far it seems to work with no diff in my battery life.

You can find more info on the guys web site. But its in AppTapp for easy install.

http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/

Huy
15th November 2007, 11:59 PM
Wow you're absolutely right! I always assumed that OpenSSH would be running all the time in the background, sucking up battery. Not that I ever compared the times (with SSH on and off).

I guess I don't need UIctl afterall... the only thing I have installed is Installer.app/AppTapp.

W9cae
16th November 2007, 12:06 AM
Glad I was able to help. Hopefully in the next version of AppTapp infomation like this will be easyer to find.

Here is another app thats in AppTapp that can tell you what is running. I have not tested this app but there screen shot app works great.

http://www.robota.nl/products/SysInfo.html

Huy
16th November 2007, 12:18 AM
Cool thanks :)
That SysInfo app looks like your average uptime/top/ps command line tool.

cjuiz
20th November 2007, 02:28 PM
My iPhone's serial begins with: 7T742, so does that mean it'll be a 1.1.1 FW phone? And I can unlock with AppTap?

led-zep
20th November 2007, 02:33 PM
hey mate where did you order ur iphone from? and how long did it take to ship

Huy
20th November 2007, 02:37 PM
You have to find out what firmware it is yourself. Looking at the week number (42) is not 100%.

led-zep
20th November 2007, 02:48 PM
oh really, well thats a big hassle now isnt it. makes it difficult to order from the US now, unless it states it has 1.1.1 firmware on the sale i guess

cjuiz
20th November 2007, 02:49 PM
Got family over in Hawaii to buy it and ship it.

How do I check the firmware?

Huy
20th November 2007, 03:10 PM
Doesn't hurt to Google to find your answers... ;)

How to Check iPhone Firmware Version (Field Test Mode)

Turn on the phone and slide to unlock the keypad. iPhone screen should show that only emergency calls is allowed.
Enter the following key sequence: *3001#12345#* and then finish by pressing Call button. This will enter field test mode of iPhone.
Tap on Versions.
The firmware revision information of iPhone installed out of the box will be shown on LCD screen. The following guide will match the firmware revision to the firmware version.
03.12.06_G - firmware version 1.0.0
03.14.08_G - firmware version 1.0.1 or 1.02
04.01.13_G - firmware version 1.1.1
04.02.04_G - firmware version 1.1.2

It does not state what firmware it will be, on the sale. Unless you look at eBay and it states it (however I doubt it).

W9cae
20th November 2007, 04:33 PM
Doesn't hurt to Google to find your answers... ;)

How to Check iPhone Firmware Version (Field Test Mode)

Turn on the phone and slide to unlock the keypad. iPhone screen should show that only emergency calls is allowed.
Enter the following key sequence: *3001#12345#* and then finish by pressing Call button. This will enter field test mode of iPhone.
Tap on Versions.
The firmware revision information of iPhone installed out of the box will be shown on LCD screen. The following guide will match the firmware revision to the firmware version.
03.12.06_G - firmware version 1.0.0
03.14.08_G - firmware version 1.0.1 or 1.02
04.01.13_G - firmware version 1.1.1
04.02.04_G - firmware version 1.1.1

It does not state what firmware it will be, on the sale. Unless you look at eBay and it states it (however I doubt it).

shouldnt 04.02.04_G be firmware 1.1.2 ?

Huy
20th November 2007, 05:12 PM
Hmm yes possibly.
I only copy/pasted it from the first hit on Google so I didn't bother double checking :p

I believe you're right though, 04.02.* is 1.1.2.
I'll edit it.

cjuiz
23rd November 2007, 06:52 PM
Let me just say, I LOVE my iPhone! It's so freaking awesome! Thanks everyone for helping me figure all these things out. I would have been incredibly lost without you!

Cheers guys!