PDA

View Full Version : Who else hates Leopard Spotlight

rickyd
13th November 2007, 04:07 PM
Well, sure it's fast and all, but the "more info" or "find" window in the Finder is horrible.

No more integrated slideshows or information about contacts etc.

What are your thoughts?

Tassiecelt
13th November 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm not overly impressed with leopard, Apple is good at hype, thats for sure.
Coverflow is pretty, but not something I would use every day.

I was hoping for more improvements to mail, addresses and ical, I still remain undecided between those and Entourage.

My biggest beef is that Leopard won't sync with my palm Treo...what use is that?
Apple say it's down to palm, maybe so, but I'll have to keep my macbook on Tiger until someone fixes it.

STK
13th November 2007, 04:21 PM
I love spotlight. Does everything I need. but i mainly use it for apps not as much emails and files

arkenstone
13th November 2007, 04:27 PM
I love spotlight. Does everything I need. but i mainly use it for apps not as much emails and files

I'm finding it tends to hide files it doesn't really want to you find.

I.e. if you're not searchign for a document or a user-generated/modified file it's hard to find stuff.

spilla
13th November 2007, 04:28 PM
One of the only things I like about Leopard is how when searching for something in Spotlight the 'Top Hit' is automatically selected. :)

It saves me an extra 0.5 of second. :p

Macyoshary
13th November 2007, 06:26 PM
I haven't got Leopard yet but I was hoping they added what spilla said. It annoys me in Tiger the way it doesn't select the top hit.

Edge
13th November 2007, 07:00 PM
i.e. if you're not searching for a document or a user-generated/modified file it's hard to find stuff.
The */LIbrary directories are no longer indexed, IIRC.

One of the only things I like about Leopard is how when searching for something in Spotlight the 'Top Hit' is automatically selected.
Applications come up immediately, which makes it more like Quicksilver.

So in answer to rickyd, it's not perfect, but it shits all over 10.4.

rtc
13th November 2007, 07:10 PM
I thought at first that the "show all" window in tiger (groupings, sorting, info etc) shat all over the leopard one. The leopard one is just the poncy old "finder" results not "spotlight" results at all.

However the path bar I absolutely love (not just for searches) and I welcome it back from pre-osx days, so there is a totally different approach to utilising your total search results than tiger's spotlight got us used to. It's not worse, it's just you need to be using it a different way to get the best out of it.

EDIT: The most important thing is that leopard's spotlight is way way quicker than tiger's and this is by far the most important thing I reckon.

rickyd
13th November 2007, 07:50 PM
You have a point there rtc.

dev_enter
13th November 2007, 07:50 PM
I didn't like it in Tiger, I don't like it in Leopard.
I keep things sorted instead.

decryption
13th November 2007, 07:58 PM
I like it - it's faster!

luke_in_tas
13th November 2007, 08:17 PM
My biggest beef is that Leopard won't sync with my palm Treo...what use is that?

Mark/Space have a beta version of The Missing Sync that is compatible with Leopard: http://www.markspace.com/leopard.html.

grfxninja
13th November 2007, 08:24 PM

+1

I use the Leopard spotlight as a Quicksilver replacement because it is much faster than the Tiger one was. Quicksilver used to crash on me every now and then, and I only ever used it as an App launcher anyway. Spotlight does the job now.

morn
13th November 2007, 11:17 PM
Spotlight on leopard is great...
And no more of that silly show all window, it goes to the Finder as it should. Although unfortunately it won't let you order things by kind as easily as Tiger spotlight does.

Tassiecelt
13th November 2007, 11:50 PM
Mark/Space have a beta version of The Missing Sync that is compatible with Leopard: http://www.markspace.com/leopard.html.

Thanks Luke, I did try Missing Sync a while back and had difficulty getting it to work, I even bought it.
I might try again later as my understanding of Macs grows.

Kuma
14th November 2007, 12:33 AM
lovin leopard..
lovin spotlight

marc
14th November 2007, 01:32 AM
I hated the Tiger all results window. Going to a Finder window makes much more sense.

Love the speed of Leopard's Spotlight. Haven't used it enough to find anything strange. Certainly makes a good app launcher now.

No more integrated slideshows
QuickLook is where you'll find the slideshow features (select multiple items, space, then full screen).

leon
14th November 2007, 01:58 AM
For the most part I am fine with Leopard's spotlight. I have found that on occasion it hasn't been able to find a pdf document for me, until I navigate to it in finder. Then suddenly, spotlight is able to see it if I search again.
Could be an issue with an incomplete index, but I don't know.

mvjs
14th November 2007, 06:59 AM
Spotlight has replaced QuickSilver/Namely/LaunchBar for me. It lets me quickly open applications without any fuss, and it's always there on all my Macs. I also find it convenient for opening Address Book contacts.

The Fluffy Duck
14th November 2007, 07:14 AM
I love spotlight in leopard. IT is instant! ITs either that or windows xp search.....eww.

Off topic I do agree with TassieCelt. Apple were really good at spin this time and only a good 50% of what they promised got into leopard which isnt good enough.

decryption
14th November 2007, 08:10 AM

haha, I'm the opposite - dump everything in a big folder and then rely on spotlight to find the crap I need :D

Phase
14th November 2007, 08:15 AM
Spotlight is one of the reasons to own a Mac.

It's like an extension of my brain now. Where is... (spotlight) ah.

What was that song called.. (spotlight) Ah yes.

LOVE spotlight

Kuma
14th November 2007, 11:19 AM
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9283

an article on why spotlight in Leopard is so good...

and 2 other reasons I like it
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/spotlight-20071114-102340.jpg

it's a calculator

and quick access to the dictionary
http://myskitch.com/shonankuma/spotlight-20071114-102455.jpg

rtc
14th November 2007, 05:29 PM
I love spotlight in leopard. IT is instant! ITs either that or windows xp search.....eww.

Off topic I do agree with TassieCelt. Apple were really good at spin this time and only a good 50% of what they promised got into leopard which isnt good enough.

Isn't good enough? It was good enough to encourage you to get leopard.