PDA

View Full Version : Features you have found in Leopard

Wally
13th November 2007, 09:54 AM
Hi guys,

There are various gems to be found in Leopard (Like other OS's)

I have seen this one so far

Pressing space on an icon will bring up an get info window

Anymore?

denwol
13th November 2007, 10:19 AM
Thats good, and if it is a document, it will show the first page of the document.

wow, and if it a picture, it will add it straight into iphoto.

DJY
13th November 2007, 05:21 PM
If its a jpg it opens in Quicklook

rtc
13th November 2007, 05:28 PM
It's not get info it's quicklook

EDIT:

My favourite leopard features so far are:
- It's fast as F#@k compared to Tiger
- Front Row! Yeah! Ohyeah! Absolutely awesome. My only two possible gripes with it are: 1) WHy can't I use the keyboard letters to type-ahead in my huge libraries, and 2) how can I turn off that annoying flippy thing
- The "iTunes Artwork" screensaver

Stacks is pretty good too despite what people say (see my comments in another thread on this)

I'm yet to put spaces to it's full usage potential.

The finder's window settings preferences being all linked to each other (and each window's individual size settings) is annoying.

applecollector
13th November 2007, 05:32 PM
Apple - Y = quick look

rtc
13th November 2007, 05:33 PM
Apple - Y = quick look

spacebar does the same thing

denwol
13th November 2007, 05:39 PM
If its a jpg it opens in CoverFlow

how do you make it do that?

DJY
13th November 2007, 05:43 PM
Got the name wrong...
have fixed my post - sorry

The new groovy look inside a document / file / movie / thingie...

rickyd
13th November 2007, 05:57 PM
It's not get info it's quicklook

EDIT:

My favourite leopard features so far are:
- It's fast as F#@k compared to Tiger
- Front Row! Yeah! Ohyeah! Absolutely awesome. My only two possible gripes with it are: 1) WHy can't I use the keyboard letters to type-ahead in my huge libraries, and 2) how can I turn off that annoying flippy thing
- The "iTunes Artwork" screensaver

Stacks is pretty good too despite what people say (see my comments in another thread on this)

I'm yet to put spaces to it's full usage potential.

The finder's window settings preferences being all linked to each other (and each window's individual size settings) is annoying.

What's so good about the iTunes Screensaver, same as it was in Tiger?

rtc
13th November 2007, 07:17 PM
What's so good about the iTunes Screensaver, same as it was in Tiger?

I never noticed it in tiger.

iMac
13th November 2007, 11:04 PM
it was there, I used it all the time. n00bs :P

teamshaw
14th November 2007, 06:35 PM
Another cool thing regarding quicklook is it works in mail with attachments.

AnthoMac
14th November 2007, 06:51 PM
not sure if this is new, but had text highlighted AND pressed apple(command)+Y in Safari and Stickies pops up with the text inserted in a new note!

Exocet
14th November 2007, 07:00 PM
Spotlight can function as a calculator. Go on, try it.
:cmd: + Space
Type: 120+1217

ford.boy
14th November 2007, 07:28 PM

rofl.

rtc
14th November 2007, 07:30 PM
cmd space = one combo, 2 keys

F12 = one key

much quicker.

but yeah the concept is geekily droolworthy. almost.

Phase
14th November 2007, 08:10 PM
Clicking an App and dragging it to the side of a space puts it in the next space.

Expose works in spaces view.

new image when your dvd drive is the wrong region for the disc (lol, firmware fixed that little problem)

Nasty little feature in Leopard. Files are corrupting now and again, photoshop is dying like a bitch. One file in 25 is coming up with some sort of an error. It's a good thing time machine is here.

Conspiracy: "Leopard intentionally corrupts files to make you so relieved to have time machine"

rtc
14th November 2007, 08:13 PM
Expose works in spaces view.

Now thats cool!

Redman
14th November 2007, 09:38 PM
Select a few pictures and Control Click (right click) then press Option Key.
The Quickview icon changes to a "play" icon for a "Quickview Slideshow".
The context menu also changes for a Slideshow.

Johnny Appleseed
14th November 2007, 10:29 PM
Not exactly features, but contextual menus now have rounded edges - and the screen itself now has sharp edges!

Phase
14th November 2007, 10:34 PM
Select a few pictures and Control Click (right click) then press Option Key.
The Quickview icon changes to a "play" icon for a "Quickview Slideshow".
The context menu also changes for a Slideshow.

Very cool sir.

Not sure when I could use it tho.

What I love about this OS, a friend recently switched, and her fist few comments were 'There's so many ways to do something'

And it's true. Nifty little features like that are just fantastic.

Linux_insidev2
14th November 2007, 11:31 PM
I love this new feature of front row, basically it's that "resume or start from beginning" thing, but they've "improved" it so it only works for things in your itunes library, and doesn't work when playing from the movies folder...

I have loads of tv shows and it shits me that the feature is gone.

BrettJohn
14th November 2007, 11:39 PM
im a fan of the live updating of disk space on the HD icon info
iChat's theatre chat
photobooth effects
everything quicklook
also love it finding everything on my network without me searching for things (i.e finding my iBook and MacBook and Winbox)

rjch
14th November 2007, 11:40 PM
I'd like to be able to take snapshot in dvd player, like you can in VLC. Can you do that?

cosmichobo
15th November 2007, 12:27 AM
So... um.... If you hold down Cmd+Opt whilst getting "About this Mac", does a pretty picture of Silicon Valley pop up, and the icon turn into a smiley face..?

Just curious..... :)

spilla
15th November 2007, 01:22 AM
So... um.... If you hold down Cmd+Opt whilst getting "About this Mac", does a pretty picture of Silicon Valley pop up, and the icon turn into a smiley face..?

Just curious..... :)

Nope. Opens System Profiler. :p

Lutze
15th November 2007, 01:32 AM
im a fan of the live updating of disk space on the HD icon info

Okay, I'm lost on this one... care to enlighten me? The way that you have put that down in words makes it sound like your HD icon on the desktop has available / used space on it. Or have I got that completely wrong?

gareth
15th November 2007, 01:47 AM

:thumbup:

rtc
15th November 2007, 06:46 AM
I'd like to be able to take snapshot in dvd player, like you can in VLC. Can you do that?

Nope coz the content is copyright. If you use another screen capture program it will show a black square where your DVD picture should be. The only way I know of is to intercept the video card signal.

rtc
15th November 2007, 06:49 AM
Okay, I'm lost on this one... care to enlighten me? The way that you have put that down in words makes it sound like your HD icon on the desktop has available / used space on it. Or have I got that completely wrong?

Just tick "show item info" in your "view options" of your "desktop".

Although this feature is almost useless for mean (not just in leopard either) because i can't see it all - "465.64GB, 244.45GB free" displays as "465.64GB, ...45GB free". Is there a way to ditch the decimal places?

In terms of updating, I rely on the istatpro widget but can't rely on the finder much. (even status bars don't always update).

d_mini
15th November 2007, 06:56 AM
Not sure if this is Leopard specific, but yesterday I added a new clock/timezone to my dashboard. I originally had Melbourne as my base clock, when you add a new one, it comes in as Melbourne too. When I changed the new clock to another time (New York for eg.) The hands spin backwards and the clock rewinds to the new time. I thought that was pretty cool.

gbuikstra
15th November 2007, 07:08 AM
Just discovered that TextEdit now opens .docx files.

fiark
15th November 2007, 07:09 AM
I noticed that clock changing thing in dashboard when i switched from NY to London.

Not necessarily functional but made me go - wow isn't that great!

icant
15th November 2007, 01:23 PM
You can apply iChat/Photobooth effects to the user photos in the Address Book. Enter edit mode, double click on an existing photo, and then click that round button beside the camera button.

Wally
15th November 2007, 01:38 PM
Hm, like spotlight calculator. The dictonary pops up.

Also now Steve Jobs and Steve Woz are in the dictionary. They werent in the last version AFAIK

Lutze
17th November 2007, 08:56 PM
Just tick "show item info" in your "view options" of your "desktop".

Although this feature is almost useless for mean (not just in leopard either) because i can't see it all - "465.64GB, 244.45GB free" displays as "465.64GB, ...45GB free". Is there a way to ditch the decimal places?

In terms of updating, I rely on the istatpro widget but can't rely on the finder much. (even status bars don't always update).

Nice one! Thank you for explaining that. Though iStat Menu and the icon show different total space on hard drive totals. :)

rtc
17th November 2007, 09:10 PM
... iStat Menu and the icon show different total space on hard drive totals. :)

iStat etc will be more accurate (it's updated regularly), the icons will show free space as at when you logged in and the finder launched. Remember too that virtual memory management can mess with your free space if your swap files get expanded on you after you login an open a few apps.

nath
19th November 2007, 06:39 PM
I might be wrong but were you able to right click "eject" a drive on the desktop in tiger... Was pretty sure I had to drag it to the trash... Maybe just habit :)

rtc
19th November 2007, 07:09 PM
I might be wrong but were you able to right click "eject" a drive on the desktop in tiger... Was pretty sure I had to drag it to the trash... Maybe just habit :)

Yeah you could eject it with context menu in tiger.

andyvinnie
19th November 2007, 08:09 PM
Probably you all know already that the photo booth can record video now, but it also can do the new background effect found in iChat. It can even allow you to drop your own picture in there to take a picture with.

gallet
20th November 2007, 07:12 PM
I noticed that clock changing thing in dashboard when i switched from NY to London.

Not necessarily functional but made me go - wow isn't that great!

It's *is* functional, as you can now see if the new zone is ahead or behind.

Also note that the Dock is now resizable on the fly by holding the cursor over the 'zebra crossing' and dragging

MrJesseRoss
20th November 2007, 07:42 PM
Also note that the Dock is now resizable on the fly by holding the cursor over the 'zebra crossing' and dragging

That's in Tiger. ;)

dotnet
21st November 2007, 01:01 AM
One thing I like about Quicklook is that you can do it on one file in a folder (or the desktop), and then step through all the other files in there using mouse or arrow keys. I wish the info window could do that...

The size of the Quicklook window won't change though, it's set by the first file.

Cheers
Steffen.

gallet
21st November 2007, 07:38 AM
I wish the info window could do that...

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you meant but you've been able for a long time to do a super 'get info' by holding down the option + cmd + i and the 'get info' window is live.

@half goon half god

Doh!

iPirate
21st November 2007, 08:20 AM

I find this has nothing to do with whether the DVD is content-protected or not, but the only way to get around the complete blocking of screenshotting whilst DVD Player is open is via the terminal as posted here: http://highschoolblows.blogspot.com/2005/11/take-screenshot-of-dvd-player-in-os-x.html

basically

screencapture -i ~/Desktop/dvd.png

Your mouse should turn into crosshairs. Now hit the space bar. Your mouse should now be a camera. Click the window the DVD is playing in. A file called "dvd.png" will appear on your desktop.

Happy Snapping!

Hamsmyth
21st November 2007, 08:34 AM
The zoom efect in preview is not animated. Subtle but adds a nice feel.

aafuss
21st November 2007, 08:47 AM
The effects you can apply to contact images in Address book are amazing-thanks for telling us about this feature.

dotnet
21st November 2007, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you meant but you've been able for a long time to do a super 'get info' by holding down the option + cmd + i and the 'get info' window is live.

Yes, I guess it's like that, forgot about this. I can't try right now, the machine I'm VNCing from is lacking a modifier key...

Cheers
Steffen.

dotnet
21st November 2007, 09:24 AM
That's in Tiger. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this has been the way to resize the dock since at least 10.2.8 (the first version of OS X I've used).

Cheers
Steffen.

dotnet
21st November 2007, 09:26 AM
BTW, has anyone opened or closed a stack (grid mode) in slow motion, with the shift key? Kinda neat...

Cheers
Steffen.

marc
21st November 2007, 09:31 AM
BTW, has anyone opened or closed a stack (grid mode) in slow motion, with the shift key? Kinda neat...
Try it, then quickly use exposť, spaces or open dashboard while still holding shift :)

leafmuncher
21st November 2007, 09:35 AM
I don't know if this was in Tiger, but if I hit Control + Option + Command + 8, it inverts all the colors, kind of like night mode!

MrJesseRoss
21st November 2007, 11:14 AM
I don't know if this was in Tiger, but if I hit Control + Option + Command + 8, it inverts all the colors, kind of like night mode!

It's very much in Tiger. Try it with the purple spacey background in Leopard. It looks awesome.

DJY
21st November 2007, 05:28 PM
Finding more and more applications to quicklook.

Had a heap of emails today - each with several video files in them or photos...
clicking the quicklook icon in Mail - gave some great options!
Could view them individually, all as an index - was great!

ozboi
21st November 2007, 05:52 PM
One thing I like about Quicklook is that you can do it on one file in a folder (or the desktop), and then step through all the other files in there using mouse or arrow keys. I wish the info window could do that...

Actually, Quicklook acts like a separate window that sits on top so you can move it to the side or resize it and then use your mouse to click on files and navigate folders and get a "live" preview of whatever you click on!

I can see this being infinitely useful, especially for getting previews of fonts or trawling through PDFs.

rtc
21st November 2007, 07:45 PM
Actually, Quicklook acts like a separate window that sits on top so you can move it to the side or resize it and then use your mouse to click on files and navigate folders and get a "live" preview of whatever you click on!

I can see this being infinitely useful, especially for getting previews of fonts or trawling through PDFs.

Infinitely? But can it wash my car for me?

ozboi
21st November 2007, 07:54 PM
Infinitely? But can it wash my car for me?

No, but it does cook some great eggs.

:rolleyes:

Ox302B
21st November 2007, 08:42 PM
Japanese being added to the Dictionary. I'd almost classify this as a hidden feature as I knew nothing of it until I happened to stumble across a page on the Internet when searching for Japanese related stuff.

Open Dictionary
Go into Preferences

Check the ones you want to enable (Japanese-English, Japanese, Japanese Synonyms)

Extremely happy with this addition since I'm learning to read, write, and speak 日本語.

有り難うアツプル! :D

rickyd
22nd November 2007, 03:57 PM
Don't think this has been mentioned. When in Exposť you can scroll through windows and when in the 'Stix' iTunes visualizer, click the upward key to get two moving thingies.

Enjoy :)

Wally
18th December 2007, 02:47 PM
I found a feature in safari, maybe its been here since Safari was birthed.

but anyway typing command and the bookmark number will bring up the bookmark :D

STK
18th December 2007, 02:56 PM
Not sure if this is Leopard specific, but yesterday I added a new clock/timezone to my dashboard. I originally had Melbourne as my base clock, when you add a new one, it comes in as Melbourne too. When I changed the new clock to another time (New York for eg.) The hands spin backwards and the clock rewinds to the new time. I thought that was pretty cool.

This is why i use a mac. Features like that

+1 :thumbup:

iPirate
18th December 2007, 03:50 PM
Speech Synthesis: In terminal, type say (whatever). Now that isn't new, that was in Tiger. What I didn't notice before is that "X" => "X" and "OS X" => "OS Ten".

Works best with Alex (the voice, not some random).

icant
31st December 2007, 09:51 PM
You can set a Smart Search to show only within specific applications.

Which is good if you only want "files that end in .torrent" from "documents folder" to show in Safari. For example.

Do this, by creating the smart search from within a open/save dialog box in the application you want. Then click the save button. There'll be a checkbox blah blah.