PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powerbook HD Upgrade

eek
12th November 2007, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I've done a search. Few threads here and there regarding this topic.

Basically, I intend to be purchasing this:
http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10819

OR a 160gig Western Digital Passport portable HD.

So I can rip the 160gig thing out, and put it in my 12" Powerbook. It's 5400rpm, same as my current 80gig one, but it's double the capacity.

Shouldn't have any problems should I?
What happens to the 'sudden motion sensor' or whatever was in the computer originally? Do I lose this function, or do selected 2.5" HD's have this? What's the dealeo here?

Anybody know what drive is inside the Lacie? I think it's a Maxtor...I've heard a lot of reliability issues with Maxtor drives? (everybody has good and bad experiences with every brand). Maybe I'll get a Western Digital portable one and rip that out.

The other thing is...how does one go about booting up the computer and installing Leopard once the hardware is replaced? Just slip the Leopard DVD in and, good to go?? I seriously have no idea.

I should really go to sleep now. mmkayythxbaii!

Byrd
12th November 2007, 07:11 AM
Hi,
- yes there should be no issues replacing your existing internal hard disk with another 2.5" IDE model (not SATA). I'm not sure why you're buying an external enclosure to rip out the drive, when you can pick up any bare drive from your local PC store much cheaper. In addition, the LaCie or WD enclosures may have SATA disks, you need IDE :)

- The sudden motion sensor is part of the motherboard - so it will be enabled with whatever hard disk is installed

- I've had good success with Seagate and Fujutsu 2.5" notebook hard disks (sadly WD drives haven't been so good with my experience!)

- Once the new hard disk is installed and the PB back together, you put your Leopard DVD in, then hold down "c" to boot from the media. From there on, make sure you format your hard disk as HFS+ Journalled using Apple's disk utility.

Good luck :)

JB

Brains
12th November 2007, 08:39 AM
I second Byrd's comments - stick to a Seagate, Fujitsu or Hitachi 2.5" IDE hard drive, follow the nice pictorial guides at iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com), and buy a small external enclosure for your old drive ... just don't get a cheapie USB one, because most cheapies use Prolific chips and Leopard has issues with those, get one with Firewire if you plan on using your old internal as a Time Machine drive.

B.

stewiesno1
12th November 2007, 08:59 AM
I don't know too much about maxtor but I have used Seagate and lately Toshiba drives in both Powerbooks and Desktops and have found the Seagates to be great.
Another thing to consider is maybe going for a 7200RPM drive. More expensive of course but it does make a difference. I put one in my Pismo ( 80Gb Seagate ) and it made a big difference from the 60Gb 5400 RPM I had in there . I might do some testing of transferring of files , copying etc using both in the same Pismo and put the results up here. On an older Laptop it makes a big difference but on a newer G4 maybe not so much.
If you go for the external case make sure you get a Firewire/and or USB2 one with the Oxford chip in it- less problems.

Stewie

eek
12th November 2007, 09:48 AM
Hey, thanks for the helpful replies.

I forgot to mention that I wanted to buy and external enclosure, so I can use my current Powerbook's 80gig drive as a portable bakcup device.

AnthoMac
12th November 2007, 10:17 AM
Cool! I plan to do this to my trusty PowerBook once the AppleCare warranty runs out in late 2008!

spargo
12th November 2007, 10:49 AM
Great to see so many PowerBooks alive and kicking! - let us know how you go eek as it's great to go back to these threads to see what people did when you eventually need to do the same.

peajay
24th November 2007, 11:51 AM
I second Byrd's comments - stick to a Seagate, Fujitsu or Hitachi 2.5" IDE hard drive, follow the nice pictorial guides at iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com), and buy a small external enclosure for your old drive ... just don't get a cheapie USB one, because most cheapies use Prolific chips and Leopard has issues with those, get one with Firewire if you plan on using your old internal as a Time Machine drive.

B.

[slightly off topic...] i've been thinking about a western digital passport as well what kind of chipset do they use?