PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and library nightmare...

Emko
11th November 2007, 07:32 PM
I feel bad asking so many question on this forums, but being a Mac newb from scratch isnt easy lol.

Anyways throughout sorting stuff out from PC to mac, ive done photos, mail, documents... So came the turn for me to sort out my Music collection (some 4000+ files). So copied it to the Music folder no issues. Launched iTunes its started sorting/copying/importing into its own library somewhere else on the hard drive? Does that sound right?

I went into the iTunes prefferences and changed its music location to my Music folder (default Mac music folder) and unticked copy files to iTunes folder.

Now the main problem... I realised the 'Organize music files...' option was ticked (when it was too late :mad:) . To my horror i went back into my music folder and oh hell.... Every mp3 i had which wasnt a part of an album was sorted into its own Artist/name folder... For example i had a folder called Gatecrasher Trance. It included some 200-300 mp3 files of various artists. Now there is a separate folder for every single one of those artists in my music folder. So extra 300 folders.... I fell in love with my mac, but this sux.! And to my guess, there is NO undo function for this sort of task is there...

The Architect.mac
11th November 2007, 07:35 PM
just delete all and do the import again minus the songs you don't want organised, then set up your prefs to suit your habits...

MrJesseRoss
11th November 2007, 07:40 PM
When iTunes imported the music into its library, it shouldn't have actually moved anything - only copied music from your 'music' folder to its own.

So as the Architect said, just delete the folder of music iTunes created and start again, but with the 'organise music' preference unchecked.

Edit: It will have copied everything to the Music/iTunes Music folder, if you're wondering where it goes.

Emko
11th November 2007, 07:47 PM
When iTunes imported the music into its library, it shouldn't have actually moved anything - only copied music from your 'music' folder to its own.

So as the Architect said, just delete the folder of music iTunes created and start again, but with the 'organise music' preference unchecked.

Edit: It will have copied everything to the Music/iTunes Music folder, if you're wondering where it goes.

Thanks for the replies :)
So in other words when i selected to import my music files from Music, it copied the files into Music/iTunes - doubling up the music files. Hmmm

I'll have to copy everything off my PC again with the settings i want on the iTunes.