View Full Version : Help! Windows XP cd Stuck In Drive Cant Boot To OSX

gameon
11th November 2007, 05:49 PM
hi guys
put a bootcamp partition on my imac core duo 2ghz
inserted windows and the computer reset
on trying to install windows i got a disk read error
and i had to restart

now on restart it keeps trying to install windows and i am getting the same error

i tried holding down option to boot into osx instead but it keeps forcing a boot off the cd

tried holding down the mouse button to eject the disk but again forces boot off the cd

tried holding down to to boot into target disk mode but again forces boot off cd

any ideas on how i can get back into osx
or even to get the disk out to give it a wipe clean....

very frustrating

Huy
11th November 2007, 05:52 PM
You could boot off your OS X restore discs and set your startup disk to be your OS X partition. :)

Wiping it clean can be done the same way (pop your OS X discs in).

gameon
11th November 2007, 05:54 PM
i cant boot off my osx restore disks coz i can not for the life of me get the windows xp disk out

gameon
11th November 2007, 05:55 PM
i tried even booting my macbook in target disk mode to boot the imac off that drive and it still went to boot off cd first

Currawong
11th November 2007, 06:24 PM
There's a vague chance this voodoo will work:

Boot holding down command-option-p-r until the computer chimes twice. Then try all the other tricks.

gameon
11th November 2007, 06:25 PM
none of the boot options do anything for me at all

single user mode
open firmware

i have no idea why i can not get this cd out?

cgollner
11th November 2007, 06:45 PM
When you have tried to eject it, holding down the mouse button on boot, does it sound like its trying to eject and does not?

Lutze
11th November 2007, 06:48 PM
Eeep - Just went through this on Friday with my spare iMac.

Plug mouse into mac... hold down every button on the thing you can find.... keep them down and just for good measure hold eject on keyboard. If you are using a WHITE Intel iMac and an ALU keyboard dig out the OLD white keyboard and plug it in....

For some reason the ALU keyboard does not send the right commands to white iMacs, doesn't work for Target Disk mode either.

Will post follow up in second...

Lutze
11th November 2007, 06:51 PM
Next up... for getting boot camp to work (God I wish that I'd read the manual on it myself) Delete the boot camp partition you've made. Then re-create it. When it goes through the install (if it doesn't I'm lost already) remember to re-format the drive you are putting XP / Vista on. If you don't you'll be back to square one (disk stuck in comp.) To be on the safe side I formatted it in NTFS.

Hope this helps.

Linux_insidev2
11th November 2007, 06:58 PM
Plug mouse into mac... hold down every button on the thing you can find.... keep them down and just for good measure hold eject on keyboard.

You only need to hold down mouse button 1.

Do it, this method will work!

gameon
11th November 2007, 08:43 PM
ok guys got it all sorted thanx for your help!

the reason the boot option were not working was that i had an aluminum keyboard plugged into a white imac as lutze suggested, lucky i still had my old keyboard

booted into target disk mode, hooked it upto my macbook and then ejected disk

ive removed the bootcamp partition, going to start up again

cheers