PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Issues

L G Cooper
11th November 2007, 05:17 PM
Greetings All,

Installed Leopard yesterday, in the hope of sorting some other problems with Boot Camp out and have discovered some "discontinuities" with the new OS. I can't get Backup to do it's thing and I can't access any of the drop down menus that'll allow me to edit the planned backup. Also, I am having a hard time removing volumes that have mounted on my desk top and have done more force quits today than in recent memory. Last but not least, when the missus and i are working on our separate macs and one of us opens a 2004 Office product we are kicked out quite unceremoniously until one or the other turns off airport.

Anyone else getting these problems? Has Steve sold us out to Bill?

leon
11th November 2007, 05:22 PM
How many licenses do you have for Office? If you are using the same one on both machines at the same time then one of you will be kicked off (as you have described).

The Architect.mac
11th November 2007, 05:33 PM
have you installed the latest backup that is leopard compatible availbale from software update or your .mac member area... did you upgrade or clean install...

L G Cooper
11th November 2007, 05:41 PM
Oh absolutely Leon, it's the one licence, but previous to Leopard we could operate without this most recent scrutiny - the added big brother seems to have come from Apple? I'll have a look for the Leopard compatible version of backup. I did an upgrade. Thanks for the good steer..

LGC

leon
11th November 2007, 06:05 PM
It's always been there, but maybe it is something to do with the way that Leopard handles networking. My old housemate stole my copy of Office and installed it on his iMac. When we were both connected to a network (him on panther, me with Tiger) one of us would have to shut down. Looks like you will need to purchase another license to solve the problem.

Currawong
11th November 2007, 06:23 PM
Greetings All,

Installed Leopard yesterday, in the hope of sorting some other problems with Boot Camp out and have discovered some "discontinuities" with the new OS. I can't get Backup to do it's thing and I can't access any of the drop down menus that'll allow me to edit the planned backup. Also, I am having a hard time removing volumes that have mounted on my desk top and have done more force quits today than in recent memory. Last but not least, when the missus and i are working on our separate macs and one of us opens a 2004 Office product we are kicked out quite unceremoniously until one or the other turns off airport.

Anyone else getting these problems? Has Steve sold us out to Bill?

As mentioned in the bug thread, sometimes volumes don't unmount properly. You might have to open Disk Utility and unmount them there. I only had this happen once though.

Backup.app works fine for me, BUT, it's a shit program, honestly, failing at the drop of a hat. I would re-install it after first deleting everything to do with Backup.app in your user folder. It stores stuff in ~/Library/Application Support/ for example. ("~" is shorthand for your user folder.)

Once you've done that, create all your backup plans again and it should be fine.

L G Cooper
11th November 2007, 07:39 PM
Cheers Currawong. I was only going to do one last backup before attempting to run Boot Camp assistant from Leopard - which was really the sole reason for upgrading. It's like flying anything that's a Mk1 - you have to expect problems. Do you have familiarity with Parallels / Boot Camp and reloading XP?

LGC

Currawong
11th November 2007, 11:27 PM
I've never run Parallels on a Bootcamp partition I'm afraid.

halledise
12th November 2007, 06:04 AM
I upgraded Tiger to Leopard over the weekend also, and even tho I realise there is an adjustment period - I'm finding probs already.

hate the search results both in spotlight and command+f

tiger was so much more logical and responsive.

for example - it produced nil results for anything in Previous System Folder;
when I look for a file entitled: i will remember no more - it produces nemo.ppt as the first result and the actual file is waaaay down the list.

english.proj produces nil results at all

it'll take a while to get used to the new look folders too.

sure - it's faster - but it ain't anywhere near as user friendly. :eek:

Arkhum_Eramak
12th November 2007, 07:21 AM
halledise, have you tried changing the spotlight view from 'contents' to 'filename'? The default is contents.

Galumay
12th November 2007, 07:26 AM
Greetings All,
Last but not least, when the missus and i are working on our separate macs and one of us opens a 2004 Office product we are kicked out quite unceremoniously until one or the other turns off airport.

I am not quite sure why this didnt happen to you before Leopard!! its certainly meant to and always has for me!

What i do if i really need to work on a word doc while my wife has it open on her computer s to turn off airport while i do it!

halledise
12th November 2007, 09:49 AM
another gripe is view options - I set my preferred background color, size, group by etc - the set as default but then every other window I open I have to do the same all over again.

grrr

kungfucamel
12th November 2007, 09:54 AM
have you tried getting spotlight to reindex?

WonderBoy
12th November 2007, 10:58 AM
I am not quite sure why this didnt happen to you before Leopard!! its certainly meant to and always has for me!

What i do if i really need to work on a word doc while my wife has it open on her computer s to turn off airport while i do it!

Agreed. This has been the case since Office 2004 first came out.

Anyway, there's a far better way of sorting this out than turning off AirPort. Open up Terminal and type: sudo ipfw add 1 reject udp from any to any 2222

This closes the port that MS Office uses to look across the network.