PDA

View Full Version : Complete backup of HD

Franksa
11th November 2007, 09:18 AM
After the Vista problems i have a Apple laptop with dual boot installed, Win XP as i need time to get use to the Mac.
My question is how can I do a complete backup of my harddisk i.e the Apple+Win Xp partition
I am use to work with Acronis and like it very much is there something similar for my Apple
I have tried to install Acronis on the Win Partition but it wont work
Will the Time Machine + Ext. HD do a complete HD backup incl. WinXP
[EMAIL="franksa@bigpond.net.au"]

Currawong
11th November 2007, 09:34 AM
No, Time Machine will only back up the Mac partition. I think there's a Mac program called WinClone that'll back up the Windows partition, but I've only seen the name, not used it.

jeremy_warnock
11th November 2007, 09:38 AM
I suppose your windows install is ntfs as well? - this is where you will have problems most mac software can read ntfs but not write to it, while you probably dont need to write to the partition during cloning it just adds a spanner. You may like to try superduper or carbon copy cloner, but I dont think they will do want you need. Also perhaps copycatx

the annoying thing is old favorites of mine like ghost just wont clone the mac file system, but it would do you windows partition

jubilantjeremy
11th November 2007, 10:06 AM
WinClone! (http://winclone.en.softonic.com/mac)

Edit : Downloaded it myself and aside from a macabre warning splash screen it seems perfect..

Franksa
11th November 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the relpies well appreciated

Question: Does Win clone backup onlly the Win Partition or the lot??

jubilantjeremy
11th November 2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the relpies well appreciated

Question: Does Win clone backup onlly the Win Partition or the lot??

Er, obviously it clones only the 'win' partition...

Use superduper! for the mac partition.
As winclone produces an image - and not a bootable backup - you can save the image on the same hard drive partition as superduper is using (or time machine?)

Jeremy

jubilantjeremy
11th November 2007, 12:24 PM
I suppose your windows install is ntfs as well? - this is where you will have problems most mac software can read ntfs but not write to it, while you probably dont need to write to the partition during cloning it just adds a spanner. You may like to try superduper or carbon copy cloner, but I dont think they will do want you need. Also perhaps copycatx

the annoying thing is old favorites of mine like ghost just wont clone the mac file system, but it would do you windows partition

I think bootcamp only allows win32 filesystem installation..?

Jeremy

Franksa
11th November 2007, 01:23 PM
It's fat32 no other allowed

semaja2
11th November 2007, 01:34 PM
NOTE BE CAREFUL WITH DD

When i do backups i use dd on a linux live cd,

basically its like :

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4k conv=sync,noerror

if = input drive
of= output drive

This method will basically do a bit by bit copy of the hdd to another, this means as long as the backup drive is equal or bigger it will make it identical and you can even boot from it.

PS. Be careful with that command, you may destroy data on a hdd if the command is no correct

jubilantjeremy
11th November 2007, 01:41 PM
if = input drive
of= output drive

While I'm pretty sure that by 'input' drive you mean the drive you wish to backup FROM, that terminology is slightly ambuguous - like, input drive could also mean the input from the dd command, and output drive could be the drive that is 'outputting' the material to be backed up.. :rolleyes: (or is it just me?)

Jeremy

vicmeldrew
11th November 2007, 03:58 PM
Use superduper! for the mac partition.

Unfortunately, Superduper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html)is not yet Leopard compatable.

NORMANDY
11th November 2007, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, Superduper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html)is not yet Leopard compatable.

cant wait till it is.... I need bootable backups.. time machine doesnt quite cut it for rapid restore.

303-Acid
13th November 2007, 08:42 AM
Did you find a solution for this? I've the same question here.

24" imac, 500GB drive, 400gb allocated to OS X, 100GB NTFS to XP Pro. Need to know a way to backup both partitions to be able to completely restore to a bootable state if something hapens.

spargo
13th November 2007, 09:08 AM
I just used Deja Vu for the first time to do a complete Macintosh HD backup to my external usb drive - it seemed to take ages, (it's a very full 80gb), but it's all there incase the world blows up.

icant
13th November 2007, 09:12 AM
cant wait till it is.... I need bootable backups.. time machine doesnt quite cut it for rapid restore.

Carbon Copy Cloner 3.01 seems to work. Although the long gap between version 2 and 3 is worrying.

It is free (donationware) though.

303-Acid
13th November 2007, 10:44 AM
Actually I was pointed to THIS (http://www.bombich.com/mactips/dualboot.html) by a mate. NetRestore from www.bombich.com

detail
13th November 2007, 11:04 AM
What's the problem of Superduper and Leopard?

Mines backing up ok on schedule.

But I've never used the bootable option.

Is that the issue - the bootable drive?

Currawong
13th November 2007, 08:53 PM
The OP wants to back up BOTH the Mac partition and the Windows partition.

Franksa
15th November 2007, 01:25 PM
I think that not being able to make a bootable backup of both partitions will be a problem for many users. If i would have known this before ???

Currawong
15th November 2007, 08:13 PM
They are separate operating systems. Programs that block-for-block copy a drive excepted, backing up as you mention has not ever been possible in any OS to the best of my knowledge.

tintinaujapon
6th March 2008, 11:16 PM
What about software akin to CCC that will create an exact copy of a Windows PC hard disk (not a Bootcamp partition).

I realise it won't be bootable, but in a worst case scenario you could simply copy it all back onto a new blank HD and have your PC back.

In my case, I have a Toshiba laptop with a failed optical drive. With the help of another MTAUer I managed to get Windows back onto it after a recent drive failure, but if it fails again I'd like to be able to do what I've described above.