PDA

View Full Version : Which printer should I buy?

gmask1
26th February 2005, 09:50 AM
I think the title is pretty self explanatory - I'm buying a new printer for home, and I like some suggestions about which models I should take a closer look at. It needs to be an inkjet and priced somewhere up to $350.

Thanks!

decryption
26th February 2005, 10:03 AM
Are you sure you need an inkjet?
A black and white laser is very economical and fast..
$185 can get you a Samsung ML-1740 which works perfectly on a Mac. You get 6,000 prints out of a $100 toner.

Goodbye
26th February 2005, 10:16 AM
The new Canon PIXMA range is fantastic. I got an iP5000 for $300 (Good Guys offered it for this price, but didn't have any stock for 3 months (!). Got my work to price match it. If you look around I'm sure you could find it for a similar price. The photo quality prints are amazing - I couldnt honestly not tell the difference between photos printed from my printer and proper photos. Also it prints onto printable CDs which is great.

Ash.

zen
26th February 2005, 11:28 AM
I second the Canon Pixma range, I currently own an iP3000 and it's great. Does everything the iP5000 does (halving the resolution) at a whopping $200

Inkjet CD printable is probably my fav :lol:

Rayd
26th February 2005, 11:31 AM
i agree with Goodbye, get the IP5000 you can get it for $280 from custo ( http://www.custo.com.au/products_detail.asp?code=PD00002143 )

Jaymz
26th February 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by zen@Feb 26 2005, 11:28 AM
I second the Canon Pixma range, I currently own an iP3000 and it's great. Does everything the iP5000 does (halving the resolution) at a whopping $200
Can't agree with this more. Plus, Canon printers with individual color tanks work out to be far more economical than some $80 Lexmark with its $130 ink cartridges.

Also, pay the ~$30 odd for an extended warranty. Trust me, it's worth it.

zac
26th February 2005, 12:31 PM
Dont buy a printer, it will just make you misrable.

964RSCS
26th February 2005, 12:37 PM
For a basic colour inkjet, I have a Canon Pixma ip1500, which was about $120.

Seems to work well although a little slow for colour, and have it connected to Airport Express, which was a very simple process to setup.

ric3am
26th February 2005, 12:44 PM
I have a Pixma 4000, after having Epson printers for many years I was converted to the paper loading tray underneath the Pixma really good space saving idea, dont know if its worth to spend the extra money for the 5000, if you want an all round machine then go for the Pixma but if you are serious about printing photos at home then you would have to consider an Epson

Alessiman
26th February 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ric3am@Feb 26 2005, 12:44 PM
I have a Pixma 4000, after having Epson printers for many years I was converted to the paper loading tray underneath the Pixma really good space saving idea, dont know if its worth to spend the extra money for the 5000, if you want an all round machine then go for the Pixma but if you are serious about printing photos at home then you would have to consider an Epson
The difference to the 5000 is like chalk and cheese!

the 1 picolitre ink drops makes for very very economical printing. I have gone thru 20 A4 sheets of photo paper, hundreds of B&W normal prints and stacks of DVD/CD labels on my original ink tanks.

The 4000 is much more wasteful and doesn't have the same photo printing capabilitys as the 5000 series

Currawong
26th February 2005, 12:53 PM
Nowadays, you'll get a pretty kick-arse printer for $300, even $100-150. The Canon's seem to be the go considering value, cost of ink and print quality. About the only thing I'd suggest is, don't buy a Lexmark, Sharp, Samsung or Brother. Personally, I'm for printers that do duplex (have a HP 5652 here), as it's far more efficient, and I think at least one of the Canon's have this included.

ric3am
26th February 2005, 03:22 PM
The difference to the 5000 is like chalk and cheese!

The 4000 is much more wasteful and doesn't have the same photo printing capabilitys as the 5000 series

Thats what I ment if you want to do photos you better off going to an Epson something like R210 which you could pick up for around $200
or even better R800 which has 8 individual tanks but if you just want to print your happy snaps it is cheaper to go down to your local Kodak shop

Goodbye
26th February 2005, 03:33 PM
I'm for printers that do duplex (have a HP 5652 here), as it's far more efficient, and I think at least one of the Canon's have this included

My iP5000 does that.

ric3am
26th February 2005, 05:22 PM
Pixma iP4000 does duplex

warren21
26th February 2005, 05:35 PM
Yep, go for the PIXMA range. I've got the iP3000 and it's very economical. I also have printed heaps of DVD case inserts, cd's etc all on the original tanks. You need not spend so much on ink, I get all my ink from computer swap meets. Each tank costs me $5 as opposed to the retail price of $18 to $28 per tank. Go Canon you won't regret it.

:)

gmask1
26th February 2005, 07:36 PM
Well folks,

Thank-you all kindly for your advice - I'm know the proud owner of a Canon iP5000, and from the first couple of prints, I expect I will be very happy with the selection. Price was $310, plus extra for the usb cable. Plugged it into the Airport Extreme, and it's happily printing from the pc's and the mac's.

Thanks again,

GregA

Alessiman
26th February 2005, 08:10 PM
Greg,

Get yourself a box of Ilford Galleria Ink Jet paper

Better that the Epson paper and cheap too. About 87cents each A4 sheet

The results will blow you away

symean
26th February 2005, 09:28 PM
I think most people here are missing the real cost of printers, the INK. Assuming you are going to get an inkjet becuase you need colour, the cost of the printer itself should be secondary to the cost of the ink. I sold heaps of printers and had to constantly reming people that by spengin only an extra $100 upfront to get a slightly higher spec printer which held twice the amount of ink, they essentially recouped that extra $100 after buying 1-2 sets of cartridges.

To figure out which is best, look at the number of pages the cartridge is quoted to be able to print using standard 5% coverage. Be careful here as some will quote # of pages using only 3% coverage, which makes it seem like it will print more.

For example, the Epson C45 will print 210 pages @ 5% coverage using it's black cartridge, but the next model up, the C65, will print 400 pages @ 5% coverage. That means you would be buying cartridges twice as often for the C45, and no they are NOT half the price. It's the cartridge itself that accounts for most of the cost, not the ink it carries. You may expect to pay $35 for the C45 black cartridge, and $45 for the C65. Continuing on this trend I am glad I grabbed a second-hand Epson C82, which does 870 pages @ 5% coverage, and the black cartridge can be picked up now for $50 or less, so for $50 I can do the same number of prints that would cost a C45 owner over $120! Where I may spend $150 a year in cartridges, a C45 owner will spend $600 - so the extra $100 to begin with starts to seem VERY sensible.

I don't mean to do the hard sell on an Epson C82, but I believe they were an absolute bargain at the time and STILL ARE - they do up to 22 pages per minute, held twice as much ink as the nearest competitor (in that price range) and also prints excellent colour photos with separate ink tanks. You can pick on of these up on eBay now for $100 or so - here's one for sale right now:
C82 on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14303&item=6745807922&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
...or you can also try www.alloys.com.au, they sometimes have stock of older models.

Seriously, most people DO NOT consider the cost of replacement cartridges, and those that do DO NOT consider how many pages it prints, it's a scam on a large scale by the printer compaies - they don't make money on printers, they make money on the cartridges.

I would say, if a printer doesn't print at least 600+ black pages @ 5% coverage (or 850+ on 3.5%), don't buy it. Also the black cartridge should not cost more than $50.

Cheers :)

vid
28th February 2005, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know what sort of printing you can do with the CD printing feature ?

I heard you can NOT do such things as "wrap around" print with the software ?

vid
17th March 2005, 11:11 PM
I got a bargain (I thought) on an Epson R310 today, I was at officeworks and they had a table with "specials" instead of $299 it was $239, It was out of it's original packing and the cartridges were already installed, also there was NO CD with software.
I downloaded the drivers from the Epson site and found that the ink is only about 1/2 full so my bargain is NOT so SPECIAL! after all.

Can anyone let me know what software is used to PRINT directly onto CD's with this as I can't find anything on their website.

Thanks.

foonster
18th March 2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by vid@Mar 18 2005, 12:11 AM
Can anyone let me know what software is used to PRINT directly onto CD's with this as I can't find anything on their website.
The software is called <drum roll>...EPSON Print CD. It&#39;s about 30MB in size.

Also, just as important, the R310 should have come with a separate jig for holding CD&#39;s for printing.

vid
18th March 2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by foonster@Mar 18 2005, 01:26 AM
The software is called <drum roll>...EPSON Print CD. It&#39;s about 30MB in size.

Also, just as important, the R310 should have come with a separate jig for holding CD&#39;s for printing.
Thanks for that, It doesn&#39;t have a separate jig so I think I&#39;ll take it back tomorrow (later today I should say) and pay the extra &#036;60 I SAVED and get a brand new one in it&#39;s box etc.

bullrout
16th April 2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Alessiman@Feb 26 2005, 12:53 PM
The difference to the 5000 is like chalk and cheese&#33;

the 1 picolitre ink drops makes for very very economical printing. I have gone thru 20 A4 sheets of photo paper, hundreds of B&W normal prints and stacks of DVD/CD labels on my original ink tanks.

The 4000 is much more wasteful and doesn&#39;t have the same photo printing capabilitys as the 5000 series
I am thinking of a Canon inkjet & was looking at the specs. of the IP4000 & IP5000.
As far as I can see the only difference is the resolution & power consumption.
The ink yield is quoted as the same.

I would be interested to know why you say different Alessiman.